Author Topic: Origins of Forgotten Hope  (Read 9699 times)

azreal

Re: Origins of Forgotten Hope
« Reply #30 on: 29-01-2012, 21:01:51 »
Oh. Well I was just going to respond to sheikyerbouti said, but Ts4Ever pretty much did it for me.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01-02-2012, 07:02:37 »
Many of the older devs are still around, others have gone off with RL.
Major Hartmann coded the initial armour systems afaik. From what I heard, he's now got a job working with Abrams tanks somehow.
Zero is absent atm, though he always returns, typically after 6 months to a year without warning. He initially worked on the Pacific Shores mod which merged prior to FH 0.5's initial release.
McGibs is still around, though not active as a developer, he's gone pro doing graphic designs.

I've recently looked through FH1 airplane code a lot, and it does seem that initially Takiwa set it up. Digging through the archives, there was some rubble around his name, but he ended up on good terms.

FH team is like a rollercoaster ride. Overall we're doing as good as ever.
In some departments, content output is down, in others, its going better then ever.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-02-2012, 08:02:27 »
FH team is like a rollercoaster ride. Overall we're doing as good as ever.
In some departments, content output is down, in others, its going better then ever.

And that is mostly due to the work of such great and dedicated guys as yourself.
Thank you!  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01-02-2012, 08:02:36 »
Yep thank you Kev

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01-02-2012, 14:02:24 »
thanks for the update Kev!! Much appreciated!

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02-02-2012, 17:02:56 »
Many of the older devs are still around, others have gone off with RL.
Major Hartmann coded the initial armour systems afaik. From what I heard, he's now got a job working with Abrams tanks somehow.
How cool is that  :)

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02-02-2012, 20:02:31 »

That is pretty damn cool!

Kev, do you know if he's working for General Dynamics? (They're the company that actually builds the Abrams)

Just curious because I recently accepted a job with GD, although it's with a different department (Naval Systems as opposed to Land Systems. Submarines > Tanks on the coolness scale anyways  ;)) I would be ecstatic if I bumped into a FH dev, especially working at a defense contracting company!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02-02-2012, 20:02:22 »
Consider any company out there, most of them replace their entire staff in a 5-10 year period. A proof that FH is strong, is that we haven't gone belly-up just because some devs have left. We've acquired new ones to replace them. Pretty much like a company does. FH is old, really old in game-dev time. Older than many big studios out there :)
Then consider a human body, in a 7 year cycle, you replace your entire body. skincells etc, a fresh new "you" every 7 year!... The "you" you occupy when reading this sentence will be completely replaced in about 7 years from now. But you will still consider yourself "you" right? Because you carry over your memories and personalities etc to the new "you" The same way organisation does, bit by bit (person by person). Organisations functions like organisms, adapts, and evolves. As long as the personality is strong, it doesnt matter "who" runs it ;)

Im sure in a few years we have even more new guys, and some of us current devs are gone, as long as we have active players, and developers keen on learning how all this works, and with motivation to 'keep the ship floating' and going forward, we'll have a team and a living, breathing mod.
« Last Edit: 02-02-2012, 20:02:56 by Natty »

Offline [FH]AceS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05-02-2012, 20:02:55 »
Awww you guys still ARE adorable. :) Reading through all this can make one grumpy old man like myself pretty nostalgic. Those days.. long gone - and virtually covered under tremendous amounts of digital history - were the pinnacle of my activity as game developer. At no times before or after did I participate in anything quite like it. But people change and life draws one away from the joys of modding. And one after another us devs went on to spend their time with setting up families, revolutionizing medicine and designing automotive oddities. It is in the nature of such a project that things change, new people bring fresh air and old people resign. For such dynamics keep FH alive. I will not bath in the warm but deceiving waters of yesterday but rather leave you with this: Kudos to you new devs, who work to create and find joy in this alone. And kudos to you community, for being critic, base and bears.

Long live FH,
AceS

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06-02-2012, 05:02:18 »
Ow Hi oldtimer!

Good to see you still lurking around.

I've recently looked through FH1 airplane code a lot, and it does seem that initially Takiwa set it up. Digging through the archives, there was some rubble around his name, but he ended up on good terms.

Yeah I've heard that, I'm glad it ended that way.

That is pretty damn cool!

Kev, do you know if he's working for General Dynamics? (They're the company that actually builds the Abrams)

Just curious because I recently accepted a job with GD, although it's with a different department (Naval Systems as opposed to Land Systems. Submarines > Tanks on the coolness scale anyways  ;)) I would be ecstatic if I bumped into a FH dev, especially working at a defense contracting company!

He could also be working for the Army Maintenance in Mobile, Alabama though. There are a lot of jobs created by this monster tank.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06-02-2012, 08:02:26 »
Hey AceS! Great reading from you! I hope all is well and that you're having as much fun as ever!

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15-02-2012, 01:02:19 »
Hey AceS:
Cool to see a real oldtimer on the forums.

And youre the one of the only two FH devs who were featured on TV.. A real celebrity..
IIRC you and ArminAce were on GIGA TV around 2003 or 2004, correct?  ;)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15-02-2012, 08:02:41 »
Ah no...no, iirc our dear McGibs was also on TV.   ;D

Offline Oberst Topgun

• FH-Betatester
  • been here from scratch
    • View Profile
    • www.fragthe.net
« Reply #43 on: 15-02-2012, 11:02:39 »
and that was aces and towbee at giga tv. oh the good ol' days  8)

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15-02-2012, 12:02:20 »
anyone know whether/if their tv appearances are available anywhere on the web?