Author Topic: ESAI: FH2 Edition  (Read 34555 times)

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
Re: ESAI: FH2 Edition
« Reply #120 on: 11-11-2010, 22:11:40 »
TBH, what I really want to be able to do now is to Navmesh and code bot-weapon/vehicle interaction!! Some map like Anctoville still have glitches like British bots trying to superficially flank the attack route, only to find the hedgerows to cumbersome to maneuver in-between.

The Allied tanks on Anctoville all head north when entering the town because as far as they are concerned that’s the only way in. All other roads have objects on them that make the paths too narrow, so the navmesh didn't generate completely through them. I do have an updated version of Ancotville's navmesh that didn't make it into 2.3, where some of these narrow paths are fix, but the tanks tend to get stuck on the objects and barriers in the road. I was going to include the update navmesh with my fixes, but encountered a last minute CTD bug with Anctoville and decided against it.

As for learning Navmeshing and AI codeing all I can say is... What’s stopping ya? I have no clue what I'm doing, Never more evident than in the multitude of AI problems in 2.3. But I'm learning quick, and mostly through trial and error. If you really want to learn it... Start by doing it. ;)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 12-11-2010, 08:11:24 »
Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong. I now realize I'm not getting the ESAI experience at all. Commanders still send troops to uncaps, forces don't move in with significantly more aggression.... Let me see if I get the installation correct

I dump the map files into their apprioporate locations in server.ZIP/Gamemodes/SP or COOP/AI right?

Then the ESAI folder itself just sits in the root FH2 folder? No change to any file in text editor to point to the mod, right?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 12-11-2010, 08:11:10 »
Yep...the 'ESAI' folder goes in '...mods/fh2'.

And I add the files from 'ESAI/MapFiles/fh2/level X' to the level's server.zip and it's working for me.

I navigate to: 'server.ZIP/Gamemodes' then dump the new 'sp3' and 'gpm_coop' in there. Then I double-check the date the files were modified to make sure it's all good.

You can always check and see if there's a 'Strategies.ai' file in there as I don't think any of them had one to start with... :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 12-11-2010, 11:11:07 »
hmm... then maybe it does somehow work better with BF2 1.5 than 1.41... Will move FH2s around and see, cuz its a bit sad that I'm not feeling this since I reinstalled 1.41

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 12-11-2010, 15:11:13 »

As for learning Navmeshing and AI codeing all I can say is... What’s stopping ya? I have no clue what I'm doing, Never more evident than in the multitude of AI problems in 2.3. But I'm learning quick, and mostly through trial and error. If you really want to learn it... Start by doing it. ;)

My experience in Navmeshing went to total failure when i tried to navmesh Falaise Pocket and Totalize out of nothing. The generator did automatically generates navmesh, hence the "green AI path mesh" shows all over the maps when viewed in Editor and the creation of .qtr files. I was influenced by Winterhilf in this.

Then i tried to modify bot-weapon interaction by altering some of its values like "only fire when prone" (which known to cause crash). LegionDCX really inspires me in his work in improving the AI by modifying this aspect.

But when I load the map in FH2, it crashes after 62%. Never knew what happened, so now i stick to modifying strategies, like changing SA neighborings, waypointing over "interesting path" (e.g. shallow water fording, thin bridges, etc). But then like heaven send, void appeared and seems like job's done.

All i can do best now is testing them maps... i did learn a bit of C, C#, and Java, so learning Python won't really take me from the real basics.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #125 on: 12-11-2010, 22:11:40 »
All i can do best now is testing them maps... i did learn a bit of C, C#, and Java, so learning Python won't really take me from the real basics.

Python would be good. We need an army of code hackers to go after the double-cap bug. I still think you should consider learning SAI coding too. The only thing hard about it is that it is a different scripting paradigm - it isn't really procedural programming, and it certainly isn't object oriented either.

In other off-topic news, I am tentatively announcing possible improvements with bot behavior in general thanks to a modified / corrected (call it what you will) AIBehaviors.ai file. Furthermore, I've changed the specific AI in the M4A1 and Crusadermk3 tanks, and they seem to navigate much better. I would still need an FH2 veteran to test this to really find out if I have improved anything.

Wandering back on topic, I'm seeing 13 downloads of ESAI:FH2 v2.0 at the time of this writing. Anyone have any results to share? Good news? Bad News? Hit me people...

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 13-11-2010, 00:11:47 »
Then i tried to modify bot-weapon interaction by altering some of its values like "only fire when prone" (which known to cause crash).

I have never ever heard of that line of code,causing crashes
It has been used on many weapons,by many mods for many years without any known problems

It will pop up in debug mode as an error,but is acceptable

You should also check if the AI template calls for this,(not sure what happens if the below code isnt inserted,or if another firing pose is used,regarding bots only)

weaponTemplate.setFiringPose Lying

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #127 on: 13-11-2010, 00:11:30 »
Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong. I now realize I'm not getting the ESAI experience at all. Commanders still send troops to uncaps, forces don't move in with significantly more aggression....

This still going on Djinn? (Heh, didn't realize there was an "ESAI experience", but that's cool.)

Make sure you add all the files from the \ESAI\MapFiles\fh2\[mapName]\[gameMode]\ folder to your server.zip. My code depends on both the Strategies.ai files as well as the StrategicAreas.ai files. (Plus Mareth Line has my modified GPO as well).

If everything is setup right and you are still getting orders to uncaps in one of the seven maps with custom SAI, then I have some debugging to do.

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 13-11-2010, 00:11:48 »
@ Void
if your upload speed permits it
why dont you add your files to each maps server rar file
then add them (server rar into map name folder) into a levels folder
much easier for to install

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #129 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:58 »
Well, I could do that, but I thought that cannonfodder had already taken care of it. I noticed a new ESAI section in his D/L sticky, and it had a link to a collection of pre-patched server.zips, ready to go for ESAI:FH2 2.0.

As long as cF patched the files correctly, which I'm sure he did, all should be good. For now I'll just add a link to his sticky in the ESAI:FH2 Release thread.

Offline Gemini

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:23 »
Hello guys,

first thing I wanna say is that I really, really appreciate all the work you guys do on this website. I've been playing FH for about 2 weeks now, and following the website for about the same time.

I love it!! excellent work!

especially this thread has got my attention. Love it you guys upgrading AI and so far the result looks really good! So please, keep up the good work!

Like I said, I'm really a newbie on FH/BF2 and maybe I'm missing something here, but is there somewhere some file that lets me update all maps at once? Or some place where I can find all 'updates' considering ESAI together?

For some reason my laptop started trippin so needed to reinstall FH. Bummer...

really... keep up the good work!

Offline Gemini

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:14 »
omfg....  I really feel like some weird ass fool when I, just after posting my reply, saw the thread: ESAI:FH2 Edition Releases...

never mind my question, but consider my reply as a compliment to your hard work!

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #132 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:56 »
'm really a newbie on FH/BF2 and maybe I'm missing something here, but is there somewhere some file that lets me update all maps at once? Or some place where I can find all 'updates' considering ESAI together?

Looks like we need to get more organized...

EDIT: Looks like I need to get more organized. All (proper) ESAI:FH2 downloads now live in the "official" ESAI:FH2 Releases thread.

« Last Edit: 13-11-2010, 04:11:39 by Void »

Offline Gemini

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:32 »

Looks like we need to get more organized...

Anyway, cannonfodder has a section in his Download Sticky for ESAI:FH2. In the ESAI section, you will find a link to the latest version of ESAI. You will also find a link to a collection of pre-patched server.zips ready to be used with ESAI.

I know, read my previous post! sorry!

but for some reason I'm not able to download: ESAI_mapfiles_1.rar... mediafire wont let me...
« Last Edit: 13-11-2010, 01:11:14 by Gemini »

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 13-11-2010, 01:11:52 »
Well, I could do that, but I thought that cannonfodder had already taken care of it. I noticed a new ESAI section in his D/L sticky, and it had a link to a collection of pre-patched server.zips, ready to go for ESAI:FH2 2.0.

Yep,your right,never noticed it  :-[

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p8woro47h9457tj/ESAI_mapfiles_1.rar