Author Topic: WinSPWW2 tutorial  (Read 16060 times)

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: WinSPWW2 tutorial
« Reply #90 on: 14-12-2015, 09:12:45 »
Pump, dump, rebump

I saw in the hotkey thread how you can press `C` to take cover with infantry. How does this work?

1. If you don't, does the inf just stand around chilling? Don't they hit the deck automatically when taking fire?
2. It says that they take cover to try to break enemy LOS. Doesn't it help with not getting hit too? (Simulating actively seeking a decent cover from enemy fire)
3. Can you order a unit to take cover and move them around in an alert state si they are harder to see and harder to hit? Or is the effect only there when they're stationary?
4. It says the unit needs two move points. How much is that for comparison?
5. How can I use it effectively? (Good for snipers, arty spotters, observing patrols and infantry ready to hold a position I guess?)

Urban combat:

One hex is  50x50 meters  right?
1. Is there a difference between buildings? Any way to know if it is a block or one single house?
2. How many can I cram up? 8-12 men seems like few men serms like too few to defend 50x50 meters worth of buildings.
3. Some buildings are has an "S" or a "W" before building (for instance: "W. Building") what does this mean?

Misc:
1. Any chart anywhere I can find the defensive values on different hex types for infantry? Road and desert bad, urban, woods good. The different fields are harder though.
2. How is height simulated? 1=default height, 10=10 meters above default height?)
« Last Edit: 14-12-2015, 09:12:34 by Hjaldrgud »

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 24-04-2016, 22:04:44 »
I may try and get my head around this game again.  I just read a book about the Burma campaign and want to try my hand at kicking the Japanese out of India... however I have been looking through the scenarios and notice that they are a little German-biased.  A good 75% of them seem to be made with it in mind that the player plays as the Germans.  I don't want to be the mean ol' Nazzies!  I want to kick the crap out of them!

Edit: TS I'm playing your scenario now "the Factory".  Seem to be holding out alright so far... does anyone else feel that the infantry hit rates are too low?  I mean, a section of Tommies should have more than a 4% chance of hitting a German squad in an open field 400 meters away, right?

Edit to the Edit:  TS, I just wanted to say that this is an excellently created scenario!  The Germans had more or less overrun my position last night, and even my headquarters was involved in close-quarters combat in a desperate attempt to push them out of the last factory building. Both my AT guns got shot to pieces by German machine guns and I can't do anything about their Panther. 

Just as I was about to give it up, the reinforcements arrived to save the day!  Four Sherman II's and a few halftracks of fresh infantry.  It's still a challenge though, I need to figure out how to take down this Panther and their Elefant.
« Last Edit: 25-04-2016, 16:04:49 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 25-04-2016, 20:04:54 »
Thanks! About infantry hit rates, note that 400m is at the limit of effective range for many weapons and that the game assumes that infantry, unless they are moving fast, will try to avoid fire by lying down. So with that in mind, it makes more sense.

edit: regarding your question about the scenario, IIRC the "trick" is to use mortars and artillery to separate the German infantry from the heavy tanks and then close assaulting them with infantry in the factory.

edit2: also note that a new patch was released recently, which includes several new (allied side) scenarios by myself, set in 1945, as well as a new Russian campaign I made a while back, aimed at beginning players.
« Last Edit: 25-04-2016, 20:04:55 by Ts4EVER »

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 01-05-2016, 22:05:16 »

edit2: also note that a new patch was released recently, which includes several new (allied side) scenarios by myself, set in 1945, as well as a new Russian campaign I made a while back, aimed at beginning players.

I have started your Lvov to Berlin campaign.  I know it says its for beginners, but I'm still finding it hard!  I've tried the first mission once and ragequit after three of my tanks got taken out by a German pak gun.  My question is how best to scout enemy positions, especially infantry inside houses.  It seems like the only way to see is to send your own men in, and then they get greased at close range.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 01-05-2016, 22:05:33 »
The hint for that first scenario is in the briefing: You are not supposed to defeat all Germans, just get to the victory point area within the time limit. It says there are German remnants in the village and in the forest, so that is where you will not go (since you don't need to defeat them). Note that you can put your infantry on tanks to move them quicker.

About house to house fighting: generally you will have to draw fire to find them, so the goal is to draw fire from relatively long range where it won't kill too many people. Have a tank ready to then move in and suppress the position. You can also bombard suspected position with the z hotkey.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 25-05-2016, 15:05:56 »
Tips on how best to conduct recon?  AKA is there any way better than sending my armored cars forward to get themselves blown up?  I try and find a nice hiding spot but rarely can I find one with any good observation. 

Second question:  Does off-map artillery have an ammo count?  Also, what percentage of effectiveness do you suggest setting it to?  Currently I have 200%, because it very rarely even seems to kill people otherwise. 

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 25-05-2016, 15:05:39 »
Recon in this game basically just means making contact with the enemy, usually by drawing his fire. The trick is to make contact with only a small part of your force, so you can maneuver the rest based on the new information.

Regarding artillery: 100% is the normal setting and it works fine. You just need to know that the most casualties will be dealt against moving infantry in the open. If they are dug in or halted a turn, you need significant concentrations to dig them out, as every WW1 general will tell you.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 26-05-2016, 02:05:11 »
Thanks as always.  I'm thinking of doing an FH forumite campaign like the old one again, maybe using your Lvov to Berlin campaign.  Do you have any suggestions for easy scenarios to do for a little more practice?  I'm a little daunted by some which require you to manage loads and loads of units. 

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 14-11-2017, 16:11:05 »
I am become necro, the reviver og threads

This gem deserves a rebump. I started playing recently again and I want to create a correct German battailon/abteilung. Only problem is I am having difficulties finding sources on their organisation.

Is 1x heavy weapons company and 3x infantry companies correct for a standard wehrmacht infantry company?

What about SS battalions? Any difference? And panzergrenadiers.

If anyone has a website detailing how an battalion is organised I would be very happy. Bonus points for any historic kampfgruppe OOBs.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 14-11-2017, 17:11:03 »

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 15-11-2017, 15:11:30 »
Muchos gracias

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 17-11-2017, 19:11:14 »
I need to get back into this as well.

Does anyone else like to play the scenarios? I especially like the Spanish Civil War and early war ones. It seems there are not many Pacific War ones, though.