Author Topic: AI tweak/fix mini-mod v1.1  (Read 10013 times)

Offline CBCRonin

• View Profile
Re: AI tweak/fix mini-mod v1.1
« Reply #30 on: 15-03-2010, 01:03:37 »
Tried the Axis and played for about 15 minutes before I had to quit and eat, I didn't have a crash. Panther's were fine and the bots used them this time.

I went straight to the church and picked up the flamethrower, exited the side door (as I had done as allies), and began spraying all over...... no crash.

So I have no idea what is causing it.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 15-03-2010, 21:03:05 »
I started playing every map from the top in order with 1.1. Had a full game in Bardia. Another full game in Crete, both good. I'll continue down the list.

I noticed the mention of MG's rarely going prone. I've seen them do this twice. Once in Invasion of Tobruk and once in Crete. The MG even had another soldier standing by covering him on the Tobruk map.

Are the mortars set to just fire with no spotter support ? Or should I be spotting for them ?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15-03-2010, 22:03:07 »
For 1.1, mortars fire only as far as the eye can see so dunes and such block and prevent line of sight. The best example of mortar firing is in El Al, where the mortar position atop Kidney ridge has a god-perspective of the battlefield. However, I hear that unlike 1.0, in 1.1, the mortar for some armies is broken and will aim but wont fire

Possible good news is, but don't quote me, we have discussed drastically raising the viewpoint of bots for artillery so that they see the battlefield from very high up when on arty guns and mortar tubes, enabling them to fire as far as their new LOS. But again, this is WIP - And may not work at all... Let's see what Drawde can do with it - Also note that bots in FH2 don't have FH1's perspective i.e. remote vision when on artillery and so can only fire as though they were on an AT gun with lobed shells i.e. line of direct sight

Mgs are wonderful in Drawde's patches.. especially the mg34 which can be tres deadly at long range. Mg42 might take down up to three people on a very good day, but will more likely aim above your head after its first shot. They really are smarter now.. And about time too since some of us have been suggesting these very things since 2.0! Glad to see its actually possible. *Steps aside and points proudly to Drawde*

Bardia is probably one of the best bot playing maps save for Giarabub and Fall, Tobruk - 88s really divide the battlefield into specific battles. Glad you are enjoying it, Barnes. Our wait is paying dividends now :-)

Offline CBCRonin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-03-2010, 00:03:50 »
I hear that unlike 1.0, in 1.1, the mortar for some armies is broken and will aim but wont fire
I haven't seen an AI manned mortar fire in 1.1 either, they do traverse and track targets as if trying to fire.
------
The only problem I can see with extending the LOS, would be the preference of bots for targeting the player. When the AI commander worked, before patch 1.5, the most frustrating thing in SP was constantly being targeted by commander artillery if you stayed still for more than a minute.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed the LOS range of AI 2pndr and bofors is quite long on Siege of Tobruk. It works very well until the AI Axis control a forward flag, but it then becomes very difficult for the player to man a rear flag 2pndr/bofor..... as the AI manned positions easily target you, but you can't even see them (as they are so far away).

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16-03-2010, 09:03:44 »
The commander arty targeted you if you were in an unreachable location. If you were firing at bots from way off and they couldn't get to you, or if you were somewhere out of reach like a tower, they would call arty on you - same for unpath-mapped locations.

Yer, my concern has always been them being too accurate and relentless, but they do spread out fire to the immediate target, not just the player.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 16-03-2010, 11:03:16 »
Glad you are enjoying it, Barnes. Our wait is paying dividends now :-)

Good things come to those who wait ? ... or a mighty barrage anyway  :P

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16-03-2010, 20:03:36 »
Hey, has anyone tried running the game in windowed mode... accordding to the FH2 tutorials if you having trouble with a map crashing on you and you can't figure out why you should you should try running the game in windowed mode. You should get an error message explaining the problem that way. I don't know if it works with AI issues, but was curious if anyones tried it yet, it may help in speeding up the process of finding bugs for this minimod... And by the way thanks for all the hard work being done here, I know how fustrating it can be and you're doing great... Offline is quite the epic experience now!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20-03-2010, 07:03:30 »
Any update on this?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20-03-2010, 08:03:14 »
Hey, has anyone tried running the game in windowed mode...
If only it were that simple... :)

I tried it once, but didn't get an error message...

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 20-03-2010, 10:03:04 »
Don't know either about that.

The levels I have loaded so far are stable, the only major annoyance being a repeating commander message that carries on even when I confirm the order. I have to leave the squad to shut him up.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20-03-2010, 11:03:19 »
This was a prevailing problem with 2.0 ai-supported maps which never got an update on commander AI since then... Let me guess, it was either Supercharge, Seige, Tobruk, Mersa Matru (Worst culprit) or El Alamein?

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 20-03-2010, 12:03:35 »
Is there a way to fix ... ? Where should I be looking (archive / setting file). Maybe I can help in some way.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20-03-2010, 20:03:47 »
If only it were that simple... :)

I tried it once, but didn't get an error message...

Ya I tried it too, didn't get an error message either... =(

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21-03-2010, 04:03:58 »
Is there a way to fix ... ?
AFAIK the fix is a simple one, but it has to be done in the editor:

How to stop Commander Spam? - Answer, One of the uncapable flags in the map was 2-way neighbored. The rule for neighboring uncapable flags is you 1 way neighbor the other flag to the uncap. It's useful to remember, "My neighbor comes to me" when neighboring SA.
- http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13677

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21-03-2010, 20:03:14 »
I tried running BF2 in windowed mode, and got this error message (or similar - couldn't copy + paste the text directly, so I wrote down what looked the most important parts) when Luttich 64 crashed:

Debug assertion failed in input.h line 191
1 SetInput out of range: PINone max 64

The game ran for over 30 minutes before the crash occurred (I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't fixed the problem somehow - no such luck...). It looks like the CTD has something to do with the control input parameters for the AI, but I'm not sure where this problem is.

Goodwood 64 doesn't give any sort of error message in windowed mode, it just crashes straight to the desktop. This suggests the CTD issue on this map is nothing to do with the Luttich one.

Another question to anyone who's used this version of the minimod: Have you ever seen bots using the MG42 or MG34 "Lafette" mounts? I don't think I have so far (even during heavy fighting in Mortain), and I was wondering if this might be an alternative cause for the crash on Luttich. If an object's AI files are incorrectly defined, it can cause the game to crash when bots (not human players) use it - I found this when I tried setting all mobile AT guns to be "Fixed" to prevent bots attempting to move them about.

I haven't seen an AI manned mortar fire in 1.1 either, they do traverse and track targets as if trying to fire.

All mortars are fixed in the current version (not yet released) and can fire as well as aim. I've also raised the viewing point slightly so bots can (I think) see over walls, sandbags, buildings and other small objects blocking their LOS, but I've found that raising it too much (enough to get a really good view of the battlefield) causes the mortar object to "block" spawn points. I suspect there's a workaround for this, though (possibly disabling collision physics on the camera?)
Still not much success with howitzers, the only time I've ever seen one fire is the 25pdr on Supercharge firing at German tanks that get too near the British main base.

Unfortunately, bots can't fire artillery at spotted positions and probably never will be able to - the artillery spotting system in FH2 is almost entirely added via external Python scripting, so the BF2 AI can't recognise or make use of it.