Author Topic: Operation Cobra re-visited  (Read 10172 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Operation Cobra re-visited
« on: 09-06-2012, 21:06:08 »
Cobra re-visited

Featuring a lot of tanks and airplanes, Operation Cobra is one of the most played FH2 maps. However, we figured that it needed improvement in certain areas, so the map received a complete overhaul by Natty.

New terrain and lighting

Some of the changes are graphical. The map has received eye-popping new lighting settings, as well as new textures and vegetation. But don't take our word for it:

Sector Push

In 2.45, Operation Cobra will feature a semi-sector push mode. Gone are the days when a lonely back capper in a jeep could ruin everyone's day by driving back to farm or water mill: Once these two flags are captured, the fight moves on into the city!

Improved city

The city and its environs have also received a much-needed overhaul. New routes have been opened for the sneaky infantry player and tanks will find the streets of Herbecrévon a lot more enjoyable to navigate. The airfield has also been completely reworked, adding cover for spawning players and tanks and making it a lot more appealing visually. On top of that, a new flag named “Crossroads” has been added in the north, making the fight for the city more dynamic.

Balance changes and new toys

When the Germans lose all flags in 2.4, it is almost impossible for them to come back into the fight. In 2.45, the Allies will have to face a formidable German counter attack, consisting of Panthers, Stug IVs and more planes. However, the Germans bleed fast, so get a move on, soldier!
The Americans don't come into the fight empty handed either. They now use the better armored M4A3 Sherman variant, allowing them to have a more sporting chance against the panzers. And for those of you who always thought 75mm was kind of wimpy, some of them have been fitted with a 105mm howitzer, allowing you to effectively support infantry and to clear out buildings and fortifications with ease. As the Germans you can shoot back with your heavy at rifle grenades. These are now closer to their historical effectiveness and replace the Panzerfaust 30 in German tank hunter kits. They have slightly lower damage and penetration, but longer range, more ammunition and still come with a rifle as side-arm, making this one of the most versatile kits ingame.
These changes together will make Operation Cobra a totally new experience for tank connoisseurs and flyboys alike!
« Last Edit: 21-06-2012, 20:06:58 by Ts4EVER »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Cobra re-visited
« Reply #1 on: 09-06-2012, 21:06:11 »
nice screenshots, dude  8)

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-06-2012, 21:06:33 »
Whooaaaaa. nice!
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-06-2012, 21:06:10 »
Awesome, can't wait to blow up some Krauts with my 105  :)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Godall

• View Profile
    • FH server Rus
« Reply #4 on: 09-06-2012, 21:06:17 »
Nice. Good job dev! ;D

Приказ № 227 Ни шагу назад! (С)

Offline ww2fighter20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-06-2012, 22:06:57 »
Very very good news :D.

Finally the americans can't cap the town at start.
Very nice grapical changes.

Good to hear to see the Stug IV is in an other map too, will this replace all stug III's?

And I thought we wouldn't see an different sherman for some time, would be interesting to see how it plays.

German heavy at rifle grenades  ???. Is this new? I don't use rifle grenades alot so I am not sure.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-06-2012, 22:06:15 »
Gross Gewehr Panzergranate was available on some maps so far but it was coded wrong and had minor armour penetration. AFAIK it had up to 70mm penetration IRL and that's how it works now ingame.

Offline katakulli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-06-2012, 22:06:34 »
  Looks amazing.  :)
Basically, axis bias has removed. Glad its being noticed.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-06-2012, 22:06:03 »
Gewehrgranate Gross vs tanks? Sounds nice, how will be the penetration, how many shots are needed to destroy a sherman lets say from the side or from behind?

Will this change also apply to the american rifle grenade?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-06-2012, 22:06:54 »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think 2 shots to the side will kill a Sherman, which is less damage than a Panzerfaust does. But the Range is higher and there is not a huge smoke trail like with a rocket + you got more shots. I would say it is a "side-grade". And yes, the American HEAT grenade has received the same treatment, but it will be on different maps afaik.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-06-2012, 23:06:14 »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think 2 shots to the side will kill a Sherman, which is less damage than a Panzerfaust does. But the Range is higher and there is not a huge smoke trail like with a rocket + you got more shots. I would say it is a "side-grade". And yes, the American HEAT grenade has received the same treatment, but it will be on different maps afaik.

Basicly what I expected, thanks for the info.
Nearly every handheld at-weapon are used in a side attack, so no change for playing.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-06-2012, 23:06:40 »
Sherman 105

I CAME

Offline ww2fighter20

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-06-2012, 00:06:28 »
Gross Gewehr Panzergranate was available on some maps so far but it was coded wrong and had minor armour penetration. AFAIK it had up to 70mm penetration IRL and that's how it works now ingame.

Thanks for information, this just reminds me of the gewehr panzergranate but when I used it against tank the damage was minimal, it is good to hear that these are fixed together with the american counterpart.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-06-2012, 00:06:54 »
Awesome!

As for the rifle grenades: Fear the Schürzen! How are they going to be effective for allies? The bazooka at least does some frontal damage to P4s and StuGs at times.

And any plans on how the 105 version will perform vs tanks and how accurate it will be?
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-06-2012, 01:06:23 »
105mm Sherman cannon is same as 105mm Howitzer = accurate and devastating (and much easier to aim). It has HEAT and HE ammo which is great for bombing Herbecrévon from nearby hills  and sometimes it's sufficient to knockout slighty damaged panzers IV and stugs. But if you want to have fun for longer you will need some fellow with ammo truck to resuply you as low ammo is the biggest disadvantage of this tank.

Tank hunter class has 4 rifle AT grenades (both german and american) but german ones are stronger. I don't know details about armor penetration of american HEAT grenades but you will need probably all 4 to destroy a panther tank for example (and I wouldn't expect making any damage to the front). American AT class on Cobra still uses bazookas, btw ;)
« Last Edit: 10-06-2012, 02:06:41 by jan_kurator »