Author Topic: More Pick-up kits NEAR flags  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: More Pick-up kits NEAR flags
« Reply #15 on: 22-09-2012, 10:09:07 »
If the commander could spawn something like a "box" that had kits in it, and place it on the map or drop it in chutes, that would be cool. However, how do the player take the kit? PR has some "request" system, basically if the player would walk up to the box, he could see a list of kits (AT, sniper, MG etc) and pick it, but each box would be unique, so he could get rejected.

Other solution would be that the commander spawned a table or shelf (think Villers axis mainbase) with kits already on it.

Im not against this at all, although it wouldnt affect the overall balance that much in the map...

Vehicles, sure. I have nothing against the commander being able to re-inforce his team with a set number of vehicles, which he cleverly has to choose when to "spend", ex; 1 heavy tank, 3 medium tanks, 5 APCs/armoured cars, 7 jeeps in a round or so.

but in order to do that, he should be able to study the battlefield and be able to make the right call. So some sort of "scout plane" that he controls from the commander station would be needed, much like the UAV in BF2. We cant rely on SLs to ask for the tanks, everyone will just ask for it all the time. Commander should be able to make the decisions himself, and in order to do that, he needs to see the battlefield.

He could also spawn/drop crates or other objects that work as spawn points (anyone played BF vietnam knows what im talking about)

Then we remove his space-bombs, but keep his smoke artillery, so he can have a nice mini-game of;

- Viewing the battlefield
- supply troops with kits where needed
- supply trops with vehicles where neded
- supply troops with spawn points where needed
- provide smoke cover

I could easily do that a whole round on maps like SoT, Cobra, Goodwood etc... sounds like fun :)
Also, to add, his station would need to be placed very far back, but not in the OOB area. So he'd need to watch out for raiding enemies that can destroy his station. If they do, it will respawn in 5 or 10 minutes, depending on map size. Destroying the commander station should give extra points, and when you have destroyed 25, should be awarded a ribbon in the Awards page.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-09-2012, 10:09:37 »
Was thinking like "Yes, YES!" when reading through all that, until I hit the point where you said:

Then we remove his space-bombs, but keep his smoke artillery

Made me go like "huh, wtf?"

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-09-2012, 11:09:08 »
Now we're getting somewhere... This could bring back some old players that got bored of the old "spawn, walk, die, rinse, repeat" gameplay.

Also I would suggest that in addition to recon/spotter plane "basically vBF UAV" the commander gets the ability to mark for himself (and his teammates) the position of enemy assets, that is place markers (maybe even minefield markers to make minefields even more useful and less prone to teamkills).
« Last Edit: 22-09-2012, 11:09:19 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-09-2012, 13:09:22 »
Was thinking like "Yes, YES!" when reading through all that, until I hit the point where you said:

Then we remove his space-bombs, but keep his smoke artillery

Made me go like "huh, wtf?"

Same here. I really like your ideas Natty and your general concept for the commander is what I want him to be as well. I'd like to keep the offmap artillery though. Yes, it's kinda stupid sometimes, but very often it brings some kind of dynamics back to a round as it breaks up defensive lines and offers the attacking team to make a nice rush on a flag. If the commander position is highly upgraded though and he has the assets you described, it might become less necessary and you could think of removing it on some maps.

The UAV thing is kinda difficult in my opinion. Maybe the commander should be able to send a scout plane every 5 minutes that scans the maps once and can be shot down maybe, like LuckyOne described. It's important that this UAV is not too strong though, sneaky tactics might suffer a lot. I agree that the commander needs to know what's going on, but I'd be careful with this.

Anyway, I personally think it's the right way to make the commander like what Natty described. The commander would be individual to every map then, which is quite nice. And just removing the commander because he is kinda useless right now is a huge waste of great potential that could add a lot to the mod, if done properly.
« Last Edit: 22-09-2012, 13:09:49 by Surfbird »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-09-2012, 14:09:48 »
I agree with Flippy and Surfbird. Very nice description, Natty, except for the commander artillery. (And please stop calling them space bombs, because they aren't.)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-09-2012, 23:09:17 »
it's just my experience.... I'm running and fighting, and all of a sudden I see trails shooting down straight from the sky and massive bombs explode... It makes me feel a bit like in Battlestar Galactica when the Zylons attacked Caprica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_39avaboNTI&feature=player_detailpage#t=139s

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-09-2012, 13:09:10 »
it's just my experience.... I'm running and fighting, and all of a sudden I see trails shooting down straight from the sky and massive bombs explode...
You just described perfectly what a WWII soldier must have felt when an enemy artillery barrage was raining down on him :) (Except the real soldier didn't see the trails everytime.)

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-09-2012, 03:09:44 »
And can we please get a few M1 Carbine kits with just grenades, please :D?
Yes, and i'd like to see the M1917 Enfield have something else beside jus the ammo kit.  Give it some grenades, a smoke and whatever else.  Make it a kit where you had a soldier upset he had a bolt action rifle so he picked up whatever he could to use.  ;D

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-09-2012, 03:09:48 »
Anyone know if it's possible to add a delay to the Commander Arty? The delay would nerf it, and adding a whole bunch of muffled "off-map" artillery fire would definitely tell the Jerries to pull up their trousers and duck in their foxholes.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28-09-2012, 07:09:25 »
removing is the best nerf.

also: wrong thread?  ;)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28-09-2012, 10:09:38 »
You might forget this one:

Can we implement the same function here? Well, without the parachute of course, but more like able to spawn specific vehicles in limited numbers, which should be unique to each map.

And then you get the commander spawning a vehicle for himself, resigning instantly and driving off in his newly acquired hotride...

I'd rather have them paradrop AT guns or Jeeps on specific maps (such as Crete etc.)

It's a potential exploit mentioned by LuckyOne in the first page.

I heard that in pub servers, people are queuing like Apple fanboys to get into fancy vehicles (e.g. Panther or Tiger tank). A commander might exploit his ability to fulfill his/her passion to drive a kitty.

But that's unfounded, I think I'll opt to experiment with this. Start from what LuckyOne said: AT guns and Jeeps. Then halftracks, then some small tanks as deployable assets. All other tanks/vehicles will spawn just as usual in the flags.

For all other ideas, I agree! Especially Lysander or Storch recon plane to replace BF2 UAV function, which can reveal enemy positions and be shot down by the enemy as well. So they (the recon planes) won't be used to commando raid difficult positions in map.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28-09-2012, 16:09:17 »
"So they (the recon planes) won't be used to commando raid difficult positions in map." -Zoologic
That's the only thing those things are usefull for. All other actions with it does not give you any score. Of course you can try to spot enemies and your team may be thankfull for it but as of now you always get shot down in it, mostly by Shermans.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28-09-2012, 23:09:05 »
I like what Natty said except for removing the commander arty.

I think it'd be impractical to drop a Panther or a Tiger anyway, even if you wanted one. Perhaps something light such as the SdKfz 222 or the M8 Greyhound, as far as armor goes. MAYBE a Panzer II or Stuart.

I think commander should get recon, but like base arty. If in use, commander can't use it and players can coordinate strikes (I find it very fulfilling and fun to call arty with the 2nd seat and watch the ragdolls fly).

Or at least, that's how I notice commander arty works in FH2.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29-09-2012, 05:09:51 »
 i have always enjoyed the commander role and I, for one, do not appreciate the constant nerf's that have been applied to what was an invaluable asset to the original incarnation of FH2.

Some change is good but some opinion-based changes have made Fh2 less enjoyable.

there is a copy of the G4tv video feature of Fh2 out there that has me commander bombing the g4 guys and it still makes me laugh until I almost piss myself.
My Quebec includes Canada