Author Topic: FH2.exe won't launch (Vista x64 problem?)  (Read 2369 times)

Offline IAteASeagull

• View Profile
FH2.exe won't launch (Vista x64 problem?)
« on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:01 »
I remember having this problem before, but I can't remember how to fix it.

I have a shortcut to FH2.exe with Win XP S2 compatibility, running in admin while logged in as admin on Vista 64.  When I launch the shortcut (or FH2.exe directly in admin), I see the BF2 banner pop up, but nothing happens (it doesn't launch or start).  The BF2 banner remains, and attempting to end the BF2.exe process accomplishes nothing.  I have to force-restart my computer if I want to shut down/restart or try to launch it again.

Anyone have any ideas?  I even updated the Punkbuster files manually, added +restart to the shortcut target, etc... I've looked everywhere and tried everything, but I think the original solution was on the old forums (which are now gone).

Thanks to Lightning's help, here's a solution that will help bypass the need for fh2.exe to overwrite shaders in Vista:

<[FH]Lightning>   In your Battlefield2/mods/ you have 'bf2' and 'fh2'.
<[FH]Lightning>   You need to go into 'bf2' and make a backup of 'shaders_client.zip'
<[FH]Lightning>   Then you copy the shaders_client.zip from 'fh2' and move it into 'bf2'.
<[FH]Lightning>   Your BF2 then uses the FH2 shaders.
<[FH]Lightning>   That means FH2 will look ok, but you may get odd effects in BF2 or other mods.

So there you have it.  Lightning is a genius and I can now play!
« Last Edit: 30-03-2009, 05:03:40 by IAteASeagull »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: FH2.exe won't launch
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:16 »
Sir, your nick is victorious.

PS. Lightning wants to know if it tasted like chicken.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline IAteASeagull

• View Profile
Re: FH2.exe won't launch
« Reply #2 on: 30-03-2009, 02:03:44 »
Thank you.  It tasted like rat.

Offline IAteASeagull

• View Profile
Re: FH2.exe won't launch (Vista x64 problem?)
« Reply #3 on: 30-03-2009, 05:03:19 »
Update: Temporary fix resolved, see first post.

Srisska

« Reply #4 on: 02-04-2009, 15:04:08 »
Probably not of much help, but I also have Vista x64, and I can run FH2.exe without problems (not using compatibility mode).  I use the following arguments when calling the exe-file:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\FH2.exe" +fullscreen 1 +szx 2560 +szy 1600

The FH Toolbox never worked though, instead it fails with the following error message (I'm on english Vista, non-german locale, but BF2 was bought in Germany):

Laufzeitfehler '339':

Die Komponente 'COMCTL32.OCX' oder eine ihrer Abhängigkeiten ist nicht richtig registriert: Eine Datei fehlt oder ist ungültig.

Must admit that I haven't tried very hard to fix that problem, since BF2 and FH2 works for me.

Offline IAteASeagull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:24 »
Okay, I found the REAL cause of the problem.  You must have your BF2 disc in when you launch.  If you take take the disc out, it locks up BF2 when launching.