Author Topic: Question about the hitboxes/hit detection  (Read 3442 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Question about the hitboxes/hit detection
« on: 12-09-2011, 13:09:19 »
Hi all. This is really something, that bothers me since the release of FH 2.4. My question is, whether there was something changed on the hitboxes or something like this? Since 2.4 I have weird situations, wich didn't happen before 2.4.
For example: an enemy soldiers lies in front of me taking a flag. I am behind him and shoot him in his back with my K98. He is not moving. Blood splatters out of his body, but he doesn't die. My ping is normaly between 20 and 50 when I play on european servers, so this can't be the problem. I had also other situations like this. I was batteling with a guy on Ramelle in CCQ giving him 3 shoots in his body with my K98. Everytime there was splattering blood and I am very sure, that my shoots hit him. In the end he killed me with his reloaded M1.

So a statement on this would be very nice. Are there any reasons for this. I know, that there are sometimes hit detection errors, but this problem occurs too much, nearly everytime I play - not always but often. Before 2.4 I had never problems like this and my internet connection hasn't changed nor is it a bad connection.
Thanks for answers in advance.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the hitboxes/hit detection
« Reply #1 on: 12-09-2011, 14:09:39 »
Yes, there have been changes to the hitboxes, but none that would explain what you're describing.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-09-2011, 15:09:20 »
Sounds like latency lag, have you switched over to WLAN or has someone else started using your LAN as well?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-09-2011, 16:09:01 »
I also experienced this few times. I shot guy with enfield two times, blood splatters came out of his body but he wasn't even wounded after this. My ping was somewhere between 50-75. Even happened to me, that enemy hit me with bolt action, i saw blood splatter out of my body but no damage received.
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-09-2011, 16:09:06 »
same here.
My ping to hslan is always around 40.
And yesterday I saw Hugo firing the bar into a laying german soldier, blood came out all the time, but he survived, and Hugo died. His ping is around 60.

Did all of you had fired into the back? when yes, there is a problem with the back ?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-09-2011, 16:09:56 »
I think - cannot prove - that in 2.4 I get much more of "invisible wall" behaviour. For examply, I am partially behind an obstacle (as an infantryman), and from my POV the gun barrel is clear of the wall or window frame. However, when I aim and am supposed to hit (as in a stationary target at a relatively short distance that is not moving), I just see a "bullet splash" in thin air as the bullet hits the invincible wall. My target, however, has now seen my muzzle flash and has no problem shooting me through the same invisible wall I couldn't shoot through...

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-09-2011, 16:09:39 »
As described, I didn't change my internet connection. I am using DSL 6000 via cable and not WLan. And as I also stated, I didn't have this problem before 2.4. So it must have something to do with the new version. I have the feeling, that the hit detection of the infantry is causing some problems. I had this problem on any part of the body. I also shoot to the chest and hit nothing. It does not only happen, when I fire at someone from behind. The only thing that tells me, that I hit my enemy is the common sense from previous version of FH and the fact, that blood is splattering out of the enemies.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-09-2011, 17:09:29 »
Never encountered the problem in such a frequency as you have. Sure in 1 out of 20 Games I notice a shot against a bodypart not killing a person, but I often figure that he is bleeding after the hit, so it was ok for me or the second shot then took him down, so all was well.  ;D

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-09-2011, 17:09:36 »
It arrives often to me when I'm in a CQB with both actions, my shot touch him, make the dude bleeding, but I've died from his shot. I have an average of 110ping.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-09-2011, 19:09:42 »
I also have got a lot more this than I had before 2.4. It happens several times during each map, only blood splatters but no dmg   :-[. Ping usually is around 50-60 and there's no problem with that.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-09-2011, 19:09:53 »
How do you know that the guy took no damage?
I mean I even manage to give off a return shot when I'm bleeding before I go for cover.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-09-2011, 19:09:54 »
How do you know that the guy took no damage?
I mean I even manage to give off a return shot when I'm bleeding before I go for cover.

Well, you really see the blood splash, but no the hit marker that shows u touched him, plus after in the death screen you can see the dude walking normally, like if nothing hurts him.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #12 on: 13-09-2011, 19:09:36 »
Problems like this are almost certainly down to the prediction your client has calculated being overruled by the actual outcome the server calculated.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-09-2011, 21:09:35 »
It seems, I saw the problem from the receiving end. Last Saturday on HSLAN I was sitting in a house on Port en Bessin, capturing "Shipyard" flag. Probably my head was visible from outside. I heard shot (IIRC, G43) and saw blood splash on nearby wall within few centimeters, but I didn't bleed, so I thought it was blood of some other player. Second shot killed me.
« Last Edit: 13-09-2011, 21:09:12 by gavrant »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-09-2011, 00:09:33 »
Yep, this goes both ways, sometimes I am actually in god mode. I see bloodsplashes in middle of my screen (my own blood), but I take no dmg. This happens just about as usually as enemies not taking damage happens. And yes, I know they didn't take damage when I emptied magazine from SMG or 2-5 shots from rifle and guy is still alive and kicking.