Author Topic: Italian anti-personnel mine  (Read 1825 times)

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
Italian anti-personnel mine
« on: 24-11-2016, 17:11:20 »
Hello, I would like to lend a hand to the mod, I'm working on some Italian weapons to finish the arsenal of the Royal Italian Army, here the B4 Italian anti-personnel mine with textures, you might be interested? excuse me if It's the wrong section, but I did not know where to put the topic.

Source: http://cesimmunizioni.eu/forum/ecra/La%20mina%20antiuomo%20B4.pdf
            https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_B4
I'm also working on the anti-tank mine and the smoke grenade
« Last Edit: 24-11-2016, 17:11:07 by DeFly »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Italian anti-personnel mine
« Reply #1 on: 24-11-2016, 18:11:21 »
Nice looking mine. :D I made the same one a long time ago, but the poly count and UV sheet wasn't optimized as best it could be.

What did you use to create it? afaik BF2 has some strict rules about needing to have the models in 3DsMax9 so it can be exported properly.

Can you post the triangle count, and texture sheets, sizes? etc...

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-11-2016, 18:11:32 »
Nice looking mine. :D I made the same one a long time ago, but the poly count and UV sheet wasn't optimized as best it could be.

What did you use to create it? afaik BF2 has some strict rules about needing to have the models in 3DsMax9 so it can be exported properly.

Can you post the triangle count, and texture sheets, sizes? etc...

i used 3d max 2016, the texture have been made using substance painter, i havent exported the texture yet because i dont know the parameter of battlefield 2 for exporting, the mine rendered in substance painter is the low poly model with a normal map applied to it from a high poly model

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-11-2016, 02:11:28 »
Looks cool. I don't know if 61,000 tris will be able to go into FH2 tho. Usually mines like that are around 2,000-3,000 I think?

Also, texture sheets are saved as .dds files. Dxt5 for the diffuse (with alpha map as specular) and dxt1 for normal map.

Offline Remdul

• Reverse Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Pie!
    • View Profile
    • ByteHazard
« Reply #4 on: 25-11-2016, 21:11:52 »
Looks good! :)

Yes, the polygon count seems indeed a bit steep for FH2. But there's plenty opportunity to optimize, I would suggest to copy the model, and optimize it by removing unnecessary edge loops (merging neighboring co-planar polygons). Then use projection bake (in 3dsmax) to bake the high poly textured model to the low poly (optimized) mesh. That way you keep the nice rounded edges (bevel). That detail will bake nicely into the tangent space normal map. This also allows you to pick a good final texture resolution (my guess, 1024x1024).

Keep us posted on your progress! We're always looking for new artists. 8)
« Last Edit: 25-11-2016, 21:11:28 by Remdul »

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-11-2016, 13:11:33 »
Ok i'll tweak a litle bit removing polygons to stay in the max of 2000-3000, since i'm working on other italian weapons can i know the polycout in general of all the weapon of fh2 please? In the specific i'm working on the smoke grenade, anti-tank mine, binoculars, mortar and anti-tank rifle

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-11-2016, 14:11:28 »
In the specific i'm working on the smoke grenade, anti-tank mine, binoculars, mortar and anti-tank rifle

Are you doing the Brixia light mortar and the Wz. 35? That be really, really cool.

Online Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-11-2016, 15:11:26 »
here the topic i've created some years ago :
it will give you all the information you need :

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=281.0

About polygon count think about :
- does the player see the detail i'm modelling ? if not stay very low poly, even a texture can do the trick
- which angle does he see it ? if you have a cylinder horizontal 90°, a 8 polies is the same as 32. But with an horizontal 180° you clearly see the polies.
- remove the useless subdivision
- try using 12 round cylinder, for small details it sould be enough. And for torus, the  ( ? outer) ring should have 4 edges.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-11-2016, 15:11:18 »
Are you doing the Brixia light mortar and the Wz. 35? That be really, really cool.
Wz. 35 would be really cool indeed. It could be used instead of a the italian nuke grenades on some maps I guess.

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-11-2016, 15:11:44 »
In the specific i'm working on the smoke grenade, anti-tank mine, binoculars, mortar and anti-tank rifle

im doing the heavy one, the 81mm Mortaio da 81 also the Wz. 35 was a polish made anti-tank rifle and was gifted to italy after the surrender of poland by germany, the official anti-tank rifle of Royal italian italian army is this one Solothurn S-18/1000, regarding the Brixia i will make it, since i think the coding for the weapon can be copy pasted from the japanese ligth mortar of comunity map pack

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-11-2016, 19:11:27 »
Bellissima DeFly!
Any more pics?
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-11-2016, 21:11:59 »
i have reduced the number of polygons of the mine, now fh2 engine can handle it? also i have finished modeling the low poly wersion of the italian grenade SRCM mod 35, from which it derives the smoke grenade which differs from the original for the yellow coloration and various holes on the body bomb.
« Last Edit: 27-11-2016, 21:11:04 by DeFly »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-11-2016, 23:11:38 »
Im not some expert but ..for fh2 you can go up to 10 000 polygons i think.
And for rounded parts,now when you reduced number of polygons, use smoothing modifier.
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline DeFly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-11-2016, 19:11:04 »
2500 poly for both the models is ok? So i can proced to make textures

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-11-2016, 03:11:08 »
Good work man. I still think you can optimize some of the loop elements if you really want be efficient with your polygons. You in the ballpark tho.

As a rule of thumb, just look at the geom_0, lod_0 of other similar FH2 weapons to see what kinda polygons you should be shooting for.

However, I don't know if you're gonna be able to export the mine/ grenade into an older version of 3DsMax to eventually get it in-game. It needs to be in 3DsMax9 for someone to export it to BF2 editor afaik.

Remdul and other devs can keep you posted. :)