Author Topic: Needed: Historical tips relating Costal Defence in Pacific  (Read 2097 times)

Offline >TDP<Sander

• View Profile
    • The Damed Priests
Hello,

I´m sure I can find some hisory experts here...  :)

I´m currently working on a Pacific map for FH1 but I can´t find any good pictures that shows how the costal defence of Japanise Islands looked like in WW2...

What did the Japanise use for defence?

Did they use barriers made of tree trunks or cement?

Thanks for your help  :)

Cheers
Sander

Offline >TDP<Sander

• View Profile
    • The Damed Priests
Re: Needed: Historical tips relating Costal Defence in Pacific
« Reply #1 on: 09-04-2009, 02:04:27 »
oh well....  :-\

azreal

« Reply #2 on: 09-04-2009, 03:04:18 »
I can't help you with your question, but I think this topic is better suited for the Modding section.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-04-2009, 03:04:21 »
Trees were more common for Japanese defenses then cement, by far. Really, they used their natural surroundings for as many things as possible, with in reason.

So, trees for wall barriers, entrenchment positions, bunkers and etc were very common and would be perfect for a map. If you look at some of the current FH.07 maps you'll notice a lot of wooden fortifications used.  :)

I don't know a lot about it, but I hope that little bit I know helps.  :)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-04-2009, 08:04:48 »
@ Sander

Visit http://www.lonesentry.com/

for a wealth of information including descriptions and drawings. If I remember correctly the intelligence bulletins are the best resource.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline >TDP<Sander

• View Profile
    • The Damed Priests
« Reply #5 on: 09-04-2009, 09:04:16 »
@ Sander

Visit http://www.lonesentry.com/

for a wealth of information including descriptions and drawings. If I remember correctly the intelligence bulletins are the best resource.

Thanks for the link.
You've been a great help for me.  :)

This is what I found:
The Japanese beach defenses consisted of well-emplaced and well-sited weapons, various types of obstacles, and mines. The weapons included grenades, mortars, rifles, light and heavy machine guns, 13-mm dual-purpose machine guns, 37-mm guns, 70-mm infantry guns, 75-mm mountain guns (Model 41), 75-mm dual-purpose guns (Model 88), 80-mm antiboat guns, 127-mm twin-mount, dual-purpose guns, 140-mm coast-defense guns, and 8-inch coast-defense guns.

The obstacles included pyramid-shaped, reinforced concrete obstacles, which were placed about halfway around the island on the coral reef; an antiboat barricade, made of coconut-palm logs: double-apron barbed wire; a perimeter barricade, constructed chiefly of coconut-palm logs; and antitank ditches, dug a short distance back of the perimeter barricade.

Antipersonnel and antiboat mines were laid on the fringing reef—frequently between the concrete obstacles—and on the beaches.

Several Japanese flame throwers, were found.

Appropriate fire-control equipment was installed for the coast-defense and antiaircraft batteries, including range finders, directors, and searchlights. The weapons, as a rule, were mounted in strongly constructed emplacements made of coconut-palm logs, reinforced concrete, and revetted sand.

The Japanese employed the 13-mm (approximately .50 caliber) machine gun as their basic beach-defense weapon along the entire north coast and on both sides of the eastern tip. Along the western and southwestern coasts, the 7.7-mm heavy machine gun was the basic weapon.

The organization for defense inshore was haphazard. Beaten on the beaches, the Japanese fell back to bomb-proof ammunition shelters and personnel shelters inshore from the beaches, and fired from the doors of the shelters. These were blind to attack from several directions; they were not designed as blockhouses, and had only a few firing ports.

Cheers

Sander

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-04-2009, 22:04:59 »
Moved from help / support to OT.

Offline MerugopXL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-06-2010, 21:06:40 »
Hello,

I´m sure I can find some hisory experts here...  :)

I´m currently working on a Pacific map for FH1 but I can´t find any good pictures that shows how the costal defence of Japanise Islands looked like in WW2...

What did the Japanise use for defence?

Did they use barriers made of tree trunks or cement?

Thanks for your help  :)

Cheers
Sander
As far as i know, Tree and leafs were used for the  bunkers on most islands (Tarawa and stuff) and 1-person bunkers) just play MoH: Pacific Assault.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-06-2010, 23:06:07 »
Or the FH Pacific maps, which were already awesome. :-)
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-06-2010, 23:06:14 »
The FH Tarawa map had some awesomely made tree-bunkers and trenches.