Author Topic: Public Beta Test - squad leader score updates  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Public Beta Test - squad leader score updates
« on: 31-08-2018, 13:08:25 »
Hello fellow FH players out there.

Recent discussion on Discord made us realize that our scoring system is not rewarding the really important gameplay aspects enough.

Usually a squad leader is trying to get his squad close to enemy flags, but then goes into hiding, in order to allow all his squad mates to spawn close to it and capture it quickly. Mostly though this means the squad leader ends up with a low score on the scoreboard, even though his actions might have been the deciding factor in a battle.

This lead us to implement a change in scoring which gives the squad leader a share of the all points his squad mates earn. For this test the share is set to be 25% and it is counted for all points a player can earn, so not just kills or flag captures, but even repairs, rearms and minus scores for team killing and team damage. However the share is only counted if the squad mate scoring points is actually anywhere near the squad leader, to promote only squads sticking together instead of everyone running around alone in some random direction.

We hope that this change will put the squad leaders leading their squads into battles to the top of the score board, instead of those players who ay be able to use things like tanks or artillery effectively, but not necessarily to the benefit of the team. It should also be an incentive to have more squads created.

The public cmp server #1 is already running the script, so we are looking forward to see a populated server over the weekend.

Please post your comments here after you gave it a try!
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Re: Public Beta Test - squad leader score updates
« Reply #1 on: 31-08-2018, 14:08:32 »
Is it possible to give a bonus score modifier for squad members as well and not just the squad leader? I feel that if the players get more score for sticking close to the squad leader,  you'll have more cohesive squads. Maybe you could add a similar modifier to squad leader markers? So attacking/defending objectives set by your squad leader gives you extra point.

I feel like these two are the ones that annoy me the most when being a squad leader; people wandering off (okay in my opinion if they're in a tank etc.) or people doing something completely irrelevant, when I'm in a situation where I'd need my whole squad attacking a flag.

Being at the bottom of the score list doesn't usually happen if you're squad leader based on my experience, I think this is only a problem for those squad leaders specifically who play as a mobile spawn point.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-08-2018, 16:08:41 »
I was actually thinking about it today, and I thought it would be nice to add extra score to everyone in the squad (for example 10%), and keep the mentioned 25% bonus score for the SL only. We need encourage players to work together more and beef up good teamwork squads.

Maybe you could add a similar modifier to squad leader markers? So attacking/defending objectives set by your squad leader gives you extra point.
This would be nice: add extra 5 or so points for flag capture and extra 3 for the assists, if it was a flag your SL ordered you to capture. And add extra "flag defend" score (the one you get when you kill the enemy inside the radius of your team's flag) when there is a "defend" marker on it.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-09-2018, 09:09:14 »
I  H A T E you guys! (because you're running gameplay tests while I am nowhere near a gaming PC) :P

Also, I LOVE you guys!  ;D

(Told ya something can come out of a decent focused discussion)

EDIT: I am in favour of the score boost working both ways (smaller boost for teammates of course)
A good squad needs to have a mutual relationship, not just the teammates score-feeding their SL
« Last Edit: 01-09-2018, 09:09:12 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-09-2018, 11:09:13 »
I totally endorse this idea and the additions Kalkalash and jan_kurator made  :) I always thought that giving points for being a mobile spawn would already be nice (maybe one every five spawns) but if your ideas could be implemented, that might just have a positive impact on teamplay with randoms that would make the difference. Does anyone know how PR does it? I often see squadleaders there showing up only second to squad medics and sometimes first while the whole squad usually has a high score as well; might have something to do with building FOBs though.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-09-2018, 11:09:18 »
I totally endorse this idea and the additions Kalkalash and jan_kurator made  :) I always thought that giving points for being a mobile spawn would already be nice...
Again, both squad leaders and squad members could benefit from extra score for being a spawn/spawning on your SL. Adding teamplay score for that would greatly encourage players to say together on the battlefield all the time. Squad leaders being the main beneficents here of course since they are the evil masterminds behind your squad strategy. The exact score tho should be based and calculated on the result of a public test so it won't end up being exaggerated too much.
« Last Edit: 01-09-2018, 11:09:55 by jan_kurator »

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-09-2018, 19:09:02 »
The CMP-Gaming.com #1 Server is now running this new update.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-09-2018, 23:09:07 »
I played like 4 rounds today but I didn´t see anything different from usual. Yeah, SLs get more points but most squad members just wander alone, away from the squad, if they even get into one.

Offline Achtungsnow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-09-2018, 00:09:25 »
I played a few rounds as a SL, and I felt that the range of which the points were given was too restrictive, it forced me to behave more aggressively as I had to keep up with the squad, rather than wait around and let people spawn from me and move to the objective. Also it doesn't improve squad play, as only the SL gets points there was little to no gain for the rest of the squad to keep together.

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-09-2018, 00:09:31 »
Hey Guys - see this thread ( http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=21809.0 ).

I wonder if the test today didn't affect the in game browser.  Just curious.  I cannot see the 762 servers with the in game browser, and I had a devil of a time getting the game to launch properly today.  Blander also reported the same problem.  Thanks.

Offline Balloon with mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-09-2018, 04:09:54 »
Why you should additionaly stimulate players to play in squads? The game does it itself. When you are playing with a squad you got more action, you spend less time to get into it, you got more tactical options and possibilities overall. You got more fun and your experience is way better than just lonewolfing after spawning on flags. Only noobs don't understand these simple things. All good experienced players plays with squad and will do that neverless the points scoring. And of course I support additional points for SLs especially points for spawning on them. SLing is the core of the gameplay and it should be rewarded.

However the share is only counted if the squad mate scoring points is actually anywhere near the squad leader

What is the exact value of this @anywhere near@ in meters or some ingame units?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-09-2018, 09:09:55 »
I played like 4 rounds today but I didn´t see anything different from usual. Yeah, SLs get more points but most squad members just wander alone, away from the squad, if they even get into one.
It's a bit too early to judge anything, especially when it was only a test many people weren't even aware of. Devs will collect some raw data from this test, analyze it and further improve the script before it will be officially implemented.

I wonder if the test today didn't affect the in game browser.  Just curious.  I cannot see the 762 servers with the in game browser, and I had a devil of a time getting the game to launch properly today.  Blander also reported the same problem.  Thanks.

[762] servers are down due to maintenance. Master server was down for a bit yesterday too, but it's back and working again.

What is the exact value of this @anywhere near@ in meters or some ingame units?
40 in-game-meters
« Last Edit: 03-09-2018, 09:09:06 by jan_kurator »

Offline RayderPSG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-09-2018, 10:09:44 »
I really like this idea and I thank all the people involved in make it happen. There are some classic SL players that imho will like also this idea, most of times they save the games for their teams and there is no "reward" for them, as they have to stay quiet and see only a bit of action if they wanna do their job properly.

For those who say that FH2 or games like it make people to play as a squad in a magical way, maybe they just haven t spent too much time playing here. Fh2, as loads of games, is plenty of lonewolfs. That's why you can see the server with 50 people per side and +20 players unassigned to squad. Also, lonewolfs join squads but then it s like if they weren't there.

But back to topic. SL  new system just ran fine yesterday on the cmp server, but I agree with Achtungsnow. I still see not too much difference between what I saw and what we already had weeks ago which is nothing. 40 meters , which is nothing in FH2, makes the SL to stay to close to the flag, hence he dies fast. Most of good SL don't approach that much because they know they re gonna face the enemy again and again. So, we need to change those 40 meters to 60 or more IMO. Also, now that I m getting used to be SL, I think the points you get aren't enough.
But, forme most important thing it s to change the meters thing. My 2 cents

Great job anyway

Offline XtotheZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-09-2018, 00:09:46 »
Hi guys! Sorry if i write in wrong topic. I don't understand: it's been a year (or two?) since the release of the version 2.53 and there is still no new versions with official SP bot navigation for new maps? Am I missing something?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-09-2018, 00:09:24 »
Hi guys! Sorry if i write in wrong topic. I don't understand: it's been a year (or two?) since the release of the version 2.53

Hello from the past, how is 2019?

2.53 was released in May 25th 2018.