Author Topic: The Road to Forgotten Hope 2.47: Part 2  (Read 5748 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: The Road to Forgotten Hope 2.47: Part 2
« Reply #30 on: 31-05-2014, 01:05:57 »
Well, you guys know F|H tournament is Fridays @ 18UTC. Already postponed by 1 hour and then the download is shit, so 80 ppl can't play unfortunately. It is what it is, but I don't get why you would release a patch like that @ 18UTC being the prime time for people to play FH2 anyway. Offering the download in the afternoon would enable everyone to play in the evening.

It is what it is now, but it's kinda stupid I'm sorry.
Firday 18 UTC is also usual time for FH2 releases and that's why this one was released at this time. This is also the first "small" patch released via launcher, lesson learned, I think future patches will be released eariler.

Especially this kind of situations when i warned a couple of hours before that it would happened, but i was ignored.
Couple of hours before is too late anyway.

Keep ignoring these players....
I'm sorrry that you feel being ignored, I think nobody did that on purpose.

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31-05-2014, 01:05:53 »
I think people will survive one day without playing FH2 so the game can be updated...I think people forget it is just a game sometimes.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31-05-2014, 01:05:31 »
 They could have ran the tournament on 2.46 and then patched it later.

There are 2 populated servers running 2.47 now

Im sure the Devs will make a note of these issues & correct them in future updates.

BTW - The launcher is fantastic. Can u add different pictures for each new patch?
 ;)

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31-05-2014, 01:05:20 »
I'm just impressed that this thing works. slow DL speed is a price I would pay ANY day to continue to play this wonderful mod.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31-05-2014, 02:05:45 »
It had nothinh to do with starting too late and everything with the seeding server not being set up correctly. That won't happen in the future. Although, how come you think we ignore the tournament players?

That is all good.

But, keep in mind that every Friday night there are almost 100 players playing FH2 mod on F|H Tournament.

These are members that are training during  all the week on a specific map that will be played FRIDAY NIGHT.

A big part of them are players that rarely play on the public servers and just want to enjoy good teamwork.

So yes. This was a very bad planned release . 

This is my personal opinion.
« Last Edit: 31-05-2014, 03:05:48 by RAnDOOm »

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31-05-2014, 03:05:07 »
Sorry, but my personal opinion is that it is foolish of FHT to not delay updating until after the tournament, if it is so important. You decided to take that risk, so live with it, instead of blaming us for it.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31-05-2014, 03:05:11 »
Well, you guys know F|H tournament is Fridays @ 18UTC. Already postponed by 1 hour and then the download is shit, so 80 ppl can't play unfortunately. It is what it is, but I don't get why you would release a patch like that @ 18UTC being the prime time for people to play FH2 anyway. Offering the download in the afternoon would enable everyone to play in the evening.

It is what it is now, but it's kinda stupid I'm sorry.

On the other hand as soon as you would have updated, you would not have been able to play on 2.46 servers. So you need to time it so that the servers are switched to 2.47 with out a large gap between the client patch. Perhaps an opt-out to actually patch the game once the download is done.
I think there is room for improvement in how things can be patched in the future, but spitefulness and resents are not helping anywhere.

I wanted to make a point that there is a more optimal time for doing this, of course I'm glad there is a patch that keeps the mod alive, that it has been worked together on a fix with the PR guys and that you can simply have a download the patch via the launcher.

Was just disappointing for some people including me. I know release day is on friday but maybe putting it up a bit before prime time or communicating better with the communities would be great in the future.

@mayhemic: Whatever. It was unfortunate. And yet communication can solve such problems in the future and the criticism isn't there for no reason and it's not complete nonsense either.
« Last Edit: 31-05-2014, 03:05:40 by Surfbird »

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31-05-2014, 04:05:14 »
The Launcher releases sure need a different timing. We simply choose Friday 18utc as usual, but that was not the best idea really  :-X
Much of the problem was because we had only two of four seeders running because of the short notice with the release date. After two hours the peak was over and it went faster.
Anyway, maybe we make it at 12utc next time, so people can get it when they return from work. This should reduce the delays for everyone.
Heinz Guderian

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31-05-2014, 04:05:51 »
Sorry, but my personal opinion is that it is foolish of FHT to not delay updating until after the tournament, if it is so important. You decided to take that risk, so live with it, instead of blaming us for it.

As part of the oligarchy that runs F|H I can speak for us.

You are absolutely right, it is entirely our own fault for not having a contingency plan in place. People should be angry with us not the developers as we had approximately 23 hours warning ahead of time and at a glance I see little reason why dozens of people who have been waiting to play this Friday for a whole week had to be disappointed. It's going to be looked into, maybe even a few heads will roll.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31-05-2014, 04:05:53 »
Firday 18 UTC is also usual time for FH2 releases
How could we ever forget?

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31-05-2014, 04:05:46 »
 So, who makes these decisions? I'm just curious.

If lighting is on extended forever vacation, who is the top dog in the FH2 workshop?

With the account server issues, few new players will ever buy BF2.

The new players are actually OLD players coming back ......

The player base increases at least 80% after a release & it's sustainability is dependant on how big the patch is.

How about just releasing on a Thursday & everyone is happy.

8)

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #41 on: 31-05-2014, 11:05:57 »
Yeah like 100 others.

All of those people joined TS, waited for 1,5 hours and needed to quit on their play day. Most of them are not regular pubby players you know. They come us for Teamwork, once in a week and these problems ruined their night.

For the future please make a separate torrent file so if people wants to download and install from torrent they can properly seed it.

Thanks.  ;)
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31-05-2014, 12:05:46 »
We'll fix the problems related to the release for next one. Other than that, thanks for all the humble opinions. And i think this thread might have run it's coarse.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31-05-2014, 17:05:01 »
We have made a new torrent file with an additional webseed and some other settings to improve the speed.
If anyone is running a seeder already or wants to do so, you are welcome. Just use this torrent now:
http://fhbeta.warumdarum.de/fh2share/fh2-client-2.8.603.torrent

Be aware that you should not use this to install fh2, since some things like shader cleanup and such will only be done if you install/update via the launcher.
Heinz Guderian

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31-05-2014, 18:05:06 »
Am I the only one who got this downloaded and installed rather quickly? Speed was something like 500 kB/s. Was too eager to play so quit seeding as soon as DL was done... and found one server with only <10 players :P