Author Topic: New PC - screen goes black randomly  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
New PC - screen goes black randomly
« on: 07-12-2013, 17:12:41 »
I have built a new PC recently, but I have a very annoying problem with it. Any help is much appreciated.

Build
CPU                 Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed    
CPU Cooler        Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition    
Mainboard         MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate    
Memory            Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU    
GPU                 Sapphire R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC DUAL-X    
SSD                 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB    
Internal HDD      Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001, 2TB    
Case                Corsair Carbide 300R    
PSU                 Seasonic M12II 520W    

What I did
While installing Windows 8, I got Video TDR failure messages a few times, and I noticed it was done way faster than I expected (but that can also have something to do with the fact that I have better hardware now, like the SSD and a faster CPU). After the install was finished, I updated my drivers, first with the CD that came with the card, but after that I went online to update even further, because my problem persisted. I haven't installed anything besides Windows 8 and a few drivers.

The problem
From time to time (it is totally random), my screen goes black, like it is in sleepmode, and I can't wake it up anymore. The fanbs in the tower keep running, however, so the PC isn't shut off entirely. The only way I can make it work again with my screen active is by doing a restart. I'm not stressing my GPU in any way when this happens, the "going black" occurs while browsing the internet or while simply being in Windows (on desktop, or in a folder). Like I mentioned above, I haven't any games or programs installed yet, so the GPU doesn't really get challenged.

Also, after doing those restarts, I get regular messages that Windows hasn't been loaded properly and it gives me the option to repair.

When everything works as intended and I get into Windows, I get warnings about my drivers, saying "Your driver wasn't responding but it has been fixed".

I read Microsoft support forums stating that it is either the drivers or the hardware, causing the TDR failure messages. The drivers are the most up to date as stated above.

My guess now, is that Windows 8 didn't get installed correctly because my GPU being corrupted somehow. This could also cause the error messages about the drivers. But I want to be sure about this, how can I test if my GPU is broken or not?

Or does anyone have an idea what might fix this?

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Re: New PC - screen goes black randomly
« Reply #1 on: 07-12-2013, 18:12:18 »
I had a similar issue with my older computer a couple of years back (http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=12843.msg170420#msg170420) and it turned out to be a broken motherboard. Though considering that you haven't installed anything yet, I'd suggest doing a full reinstall first.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-12-2013, 19:12:44 »
I had a similar issue with my older computer a couple of years back (http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=12843.msg170420#msg170420) and it turned out to be a broken motherboard. Though considering that you haven't installed anything yet, I'd suggest doing a full reinstall first.
Thanks, it might be broken hardware indeed. I already did a full reinstall, the install I described above was the second, more successful install.

Now that you mention the motherboard, it might try another PCI slot for the videocard first. All else works properly, so it might be only a faulty slot.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-12-2013, 01:12:26 »
There is a seconds PCIe slot on the board, marked by the blue color. I'm just not sure what happens, when you leave the first primary slot empty.
If the system doesn't boot, this might be a problem then.

Checked the wattage of the system and the PSU seems to be strong enough.

Videocard has been released tow month ago, mainboard 6 month ago. Firmware/Bios conflicts will most likely not exist. Two month after the release of the videocard there should be drivers working properly available as well.

Actually I consider a hardware failure possible. Might be that it is the motherboard, but from my expirience I'd look at the videocard first.

When the screen goes black while the system keeps running, it would be interesting to know whether there is still normal harddrive activity indicated by the harddrive LED. In case the videocard suddenly fails after having been initialized at startup properly, it will not send feedback to the OS that is just has crashed. The OS won't realize and will keep working normally.
Due to this VPU recovery needs to be installed. VPU recovery realizes when the videocard has crashed and resets the videocard. If VPU recovery is not able to restart the videocard after 30 seconds (please wait that long), a severe hardware error is indicated.

Also make sure that you installed the latest mainboard drivers if there has been a CD/CVD containing drivers.
« Last Edit: 08-12-2013, 02:12:12 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-12-2013, 02:12:56 »
Edit:

Slayer on below post: I couldn't believe you could be so ignorant, why not go search for the Dutch faction, thank you.

Schism/Rvtl IS Dutch.
« Last Edit: 02-03-2014, 00:03:16 by Roughbeak »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-12-2013, 16:12:49 »
@ Dukat: thanks, I'm really leaning towards hardware failure, as I tested several drivers, earlier versions too and I keep getting error messages about drivers not being able to respond.

Where can I get VPU recovery? I thought it was part of Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and I already have that. After the screen went black I have waited for more than 30 seconds for sure, so I guess I already did what you describe and I actually do have a faulty graphics card.

@ Roughbeak: please go search for "British faction" instead of being anti-helpful. After that, grow up. Thank you.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-12-2013, 16:12:49 »
Latest test:
- screen stays black after startup
- HDD activity yes

I guess I'm done now.  :-[

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-12-2013, 21:12:39 »
VPU recovery is being installed with the video drivers, yes.
After all, I'm not perfectly sure, but if you can lay your hands on another videocard for testing purposes, try that.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-12-2013, 21:12:56 »
I bought the card recently, I decided to return it. Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-12-2013, 22:12:28 »
Hmm. I was looking a bit longer into this.
I calculated the power requirement using the thermaltake power calculator. Requirement: 535W.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

I was also was browsing several hardware threads discussing the topic. Suggestions:
- Bios update
- Put the Bios in Legacy mode
- Change the powersupply of the videocard to the other powerlines that were still unused

Cp:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1789166

http://www.simology.co/forums/gaming-platform-pc/3302-r9-290x-display-black-screen?limitstart=0

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-12-2013, 22:12:20 »
Thanks, that last thread is about the 290 while I have a 280 (makes some difference of what powersupply you need). Also, he has it when starting up games, but I'm not even that far in my installation. I also don't know which mainboard he has and if mine has such a thing as legacy-mode.

Atm I can't do anything as the screen stays black from startup, and besides, I already removed the card from the tower in order to return it.

At tweakers.net they advised this combination (PSU and GPU, actually the entire build was their idea ;)) and I trust them when it comes to computerstuff.

The errors I was having while installing Windows 8 really make me think the card is damaged.

When it turns out that the card is not damaged, I will try the BIOS updating stuff. It is actually quite weird imo, that in 2013, a customer has to tweak so many different things just to get his recently bought stuff doing what it was designed for.

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-12-2013, 02:12:42 »
I had a slightly different problem once where the screen went completely black and I couldn't do anything. My computer was running, but it turned out the monitor was dead (though a friend figured it was most likely the video card, or the CPU since it had integrated graphics). If you have a spare functional monitor, maybe try it before you replace any existing hardware.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-12-2013, 15:12:00 »
I was switching monitor between my old (working) PC and the new one. I'm typing this on the old one, so I guess that's proof enough that it isn't the monitor ;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17-02-2014, 21:02:34 »
OK, summary of what happened: card was tested and not found to be defect. After an email from me with some more info, they tested it again, and then they found it to be defect anyway. The card was returned to the factory, and I got a new one. I put it in yesterday, reinstalled all and everything works like charm now.

Everyone who contributed something useful, thank you! :) :) :)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-02-2014, 06:02:47 »
The symptoms don't really give a clue whether it is motherboard or graphic card.

My last graphic card went problematic by turning my monitor dead (dark), but sound and other things still running (I was playing flash game at the time). Then I restarted, but it produced visible line scars on screen, from BIOS startup right to your desktop, it won't go away.

It stayed that way, but I was still able to play FH2 and other graphic-demanding applications, still with random-coloured lines persisting on screen. That is until the card gave up and fail to be detected by the motherboard. I cannot use hardware graphic acceleration on any application, the application simply refuse to start. Windows and other non-hardware accelerated application still works. I bought a new graphic card and obviously it fixes the problem.

So, after reading Tom's Hardware, and many other techies forums, I concluded that if you have screen problems, but is still able to run Windows and open apps like normal, USB devices gets detected, DVD player/burner works well, speaker functions normally, PC stays on forever (without randomly shutting down or restarting itself), and etc. It shouldn't be motherboard problem, it must be the graphic-card related problem. The monitor might gave away, but their blackout will most likely the sign of their death (no power, indicated by the LED not lighting).
« Last Edit: 18-02-2014, 06:02:27 by Zoologic »