Author Topic: Trip to Crete  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Trip to Crete
« on: 06-08-2013, 16:08:29 »
This summer I went to Crete with my wife and daughter. We went to visit several towns and cities, and a few museums and archaeological sites. We also did a trip to western Crete, where the area of the FH2 map “Crete” is. On that day, we visited Suda Bay, Maleme and Chania, to see places where the Battle of Crete raged in May 1941.

First we visited Suda Bay. Apart from the bay itself, there is only the war cemetery to remember the Battle of Crete. It is a very beautiful war cemetery, lying at the side of the bay, giving the Commonwelath soldiers who died on Crete their final resting place. There are about 1500 graves there, not only from the Battle of Crete in 1941, but also some World War I graves and some graves of soldiers who died on Crete later in the war (mostly airmen).

Click on pictures to enlarge

After Suda Bay we continued to Maleme. The German war cemetery is there, situated on Hill 107. At the foot of the hill, there is a small cafe (fittingly called Cafe 107) and the guy running it also has an exhibition in his garden of his own private war collection.

From the hill you can see the present day airfield of Maleme, which isn’t accessible to the public.

In the private war collection there is a Bofors AA gun, bought by the guy running the 107 cafe. All other stuff he found himself in the surrounding area and other parts of Crete. In summertime he runs the cafe and the exhibition, in wintertime he drives around everyday to find more stuff.

The Bofors

German Kraftstoff

Some barrels. I think they are PAK40 and Bofors, anyone able to confirm?

Parts of Junkers52

No1 SMLE barrels

German ammoboxes

Parts of Pz38(t)

Parachute dropboxes for weapons and ammo

MG15 and MG34

Parts of a BF109

Italian medipack (just like the FH2 one ;))

German medipack (this one doesn’t look like the FH2 one)

British gear, like helmets, rangefinder, bags, shoes, etc.

German gear, like canteens, gasmasks, medals

German helmets (Wehrmacht and Fallschirmjäger), Eihandgranate and piece of parachute

Me and my daughter in front of the private war collection

After Maleme we went to Chania. This is quite a large town and the best example of the scaling of the FH2 map ;)

In Chania there are almost no traces left of the war, only these few bombed out buildings:

We didn’t go to Sfakia (Chora Sphakion), but I read about British soldiers who were at Chania and Rhetimnon (another town on the norhtern coast which was defenbded by the Commonwealth troops in May 1941). Those at Chania went south to Chora Sphakion to be evacuated to Egypt. Those at Rhetimnon didn’t get the order, so they kept on fighting against the Germans until they were eventually captured. The ones who did cross over to the south, had to wait on the beches for the ships to come. First the officers and the older soldiers were being evacuated, and when the ships were full, the soldiers who were still on the beaches were told they had to wait tob e captured by the Germans. When the Germans eventually came, they ordered the British to march back across the mountains to stay in captivity at Chania for the time being. Knowing the infratsructure of Crete being almost non-existent in the 40s, it must have been one hell of a walk, first from Chania to Chorfa Sphakion across the White Mountains, and then back in captivity.

It was a nice trip and I learned yet even more about the Battle of Crete and it was also nice to see the actual places wqhere the battle was fought.
« Last Edit: 06-08-2013, 21:08:15 by Slayer »

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Crete
« Reply #1 on: 06-08-2013, 16:08:32 »
Nice, thanks for the picture tour.
Much less sweating involved this way, instead of being really there in the heat of Greece :)
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Biiviz

« Reply #2 on: 06-08-2013, 17:08:54 »
Your daughter is gonna be a huge WW2 nerd. ;)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-08-2013, 10:08:41 »
Super pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
You have to go to Sfakia one day! It's the perfect example for the level of detail which goes into FH2 maps!
Tim (aka. MrCheese) really made it as life-like as possible. I didn't even need to look at a map to find my way around that small town. ^^

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #4 on: 08-08-2013, 13:08:06 »
Nice pictures, Slayer. That café-collection really is amazing. Did he find the majority of that stuff himself?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-08-2013, 14:08:38 »
Thanks for the replies :)

@Mayhemic: it is worth the sweat ;)
@Biiviz: yes, spoilt from birth  ;D
@ Reporter: yes, I'd have liked to see Sfakia, but since there is not really something else to do there than see the "FH2 map" irl, I couldn't convince my wife it was worth the trip, especially since the Maleme trip was a 4 hour drive already ;) At least I have seen all the flagspots of the Crete map, except for the monastery.
@ Fuchs: yes, only the Bofors gun he bought, all the other stuff he found himself on Crete, driving around in his pickup truck during wintertime (I suppose he does so with a group of friends, but maybe he does it alone, I didn't ask)

Anyone have any ideas about the barrels, btw?

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-08-2013, 15:08:45 »
I think the top one is a PaK 38, the bottom a FlaK 38.
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-08-2013, 17:08:59 »
Thanks for sharing Slayer, very nice pictures ;)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-08-2013, 21:08:08 »
Really impressive. I didn't expect him to just find a Willys out there, haha. Very nice stuff though. Great hobby, great finds and a great way to show them while working in a great line of work as well. Guy is living the dream.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-08-2013, 21:08:12 »
I think the top one is a PaK 38, the bottom a FlaK 38.
Yes, the top one must be a Pak38, but the bottom one is still a bit of a mystery to me. Could be different types of AA guns.

@ Surfbird: thx, I like doing this stuff ;)
@ Fuchs: I guess he found the Willys somewhere secluded. Crete has some rough and inhospitable areas, where almost nobody ever comes barring the odd shepherd. I just wonder where he makes his money, as the 2 Euro admission for his garden is certainly not enough to guarantee a year's income ;)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-08-2013, 22:08:07 »
Well if he also runs the café, if it's busy there in the summer months you can live on it through the winter. My boss used to do that with his old place. Or maybe his wife works. Or he's a Walter White.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-08-2013, 23:08:39 »
Well if he also runs the café, if it's busy there in the summer months you can live on it through the winter.
Yeah, that's Cretan economy for you there. But when we were there, there was only one other guy siting in the cafe, so I'm not sure if it is ever busy in the cafe ;)

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-08-2013, 06:08:21 »
He probably owns some land like 90% of Greeks. Or does some other job. Then again he could just be selling some of that sweet stuff he finds around. I guess this could also earn him some money.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-08-2013, 07:08:58 »
Nice pictures Slayer! So I read that Maleme Airfield has been operated by Hellenic Air Force since 2012.

I've just realized that your forum name is the metal band name.

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-08-2013, 10:08:42 »
Really nice pictures, thanks for sharing them

Really impressive. I didn't expect him to just find a Willys out there, haha. Very nice stuff though. Great hobby, great finds and a great way to show them while working in a great line of work as well. Guy is living the dream.

exactly my thoughts
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso