Author Topic: Development progress?  (Read 29371 times)

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
Re: Development progress?
« Reply #285 on: 17-08-2013, 08:08:38 »

As it shows the shell is turning into the armor.

Absolutely not.  ;)

If the round had turned like your animation shows, there wouldn't be a perfect straight cut in the lower part of the "penetration tunnel" from the entry point.
The upper part of the entry point in bent because in the first centimeters of travel, the armor left  above was very thin, the friction with the shell was propably enough to soften the metal, and the velocity force of the shell did the rest.

Talking about the exit point yes, the shell turned, but simply because it didn't encounter any resistance below, while there was still something to go through above.

Something that would also be interesting to know is what kind of shell did this hole.  :)

BTW:

“normalization” gets higher values with a greater shell diameter (that means more mass per mm²). In other words: Small calibers are worse against sloped armor.

That means angle has less effect on the penetration of large calibre shells(large compare to the thickness of plate it penetrates). That's why a 75mm or 88mm AP should penetrate an APC even it's hit on 10 degree.

You didn't understand the article I think. Yes, he says that larger calibers are more effective than smaller ones, but NOT that the deflection effect doesn't exist with bigger shells.

In other words, there's an actual effect INCREASING the armor effectiveness with sharp slopes whatever the caliber (a positive one, the OPPOSITE of your normalization theory), BUT this effect decreases with shell size.
« Last Edit: 17-08-2013, 09:08:28 by Strat_84 »

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #286 on: 17-08-2013, 10:08:52 »
We fixed the Panzerschreck in our minimod. What we did was simply making it's damage Equal to M1 Bazooka. It works like a charm now.  8)
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 17-08-2013, 10:08:21 »
and who asks about your minimod development progress, isn't this thread about something else?

Oh wait, it went off topic several pages ago...

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #288 on: 17-08-2013, 11:08:09 »
Since you answered yourself, there is no need for me to answer you.  :P

Anyway, I write this down because I think some of the projectiles is under powered. That's one of the reason people are complaining about angle mod.
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 17-08-2013, 14:08:22 »
We fixed the Panzerschreck in our minimod. What we did was simply making it's damage Equal to M1 Bazooka. It works like a charm now.  8)
This change was made in the internal beta too, 9 months ago.

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 17-08-2013, 19:08:01 »
I really like to hear that, much needed.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 17-08-2013, 23:08:58 »
Dafuq? Panzerschreck having Bazooka damage... so why should I take the thing over the Kar98k + Panzeraust again? I hope that´s no final "fix" and only a beta thing.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 17-08-2013, 23:08:44 »
Dafuq? Panzerschreck having Bazooka damage... so why should I take the thing over the Kar98k + Panzeraust again? I hope that´s no final "fix" and only a beta thing.
Atm it's worse than zook, right? And why pick it: bec faust is 1 shot, schreck is 5.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 17-08-2013, 23:08:55 »
On which map? Last time i used it they had 3 rockets.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 18-08-2013, 00:08:32 »
What other minor changes have been done in the latest beta, if its okay to ask?

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 18-08-2013, 00:08:28 »
Latest report

Bikes are more armored, and they are equipped with dual 20mm cannons. ;)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 18-08-2013, 01:08:45 »
On which map? Last time i used it they had 3 rockets.
Ah, 3 it is, then. Still 300% of what you get with the Faust.

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 18-08-2013, 02:08:15 »
You didn't understand the article I think. Yes, he says that larger calibers are more effective than smaller ones, but NOT that the deflection effect doesn't exist with bigger shells.

In other words, there's an actual effect INCREASING the armor effectiveness with sharp slopes whatever the caliber (a positive one, the OPPOSITE of your normalization theory), BUT this effect decreases with shell size.

First I don't agree with that article, normalization is not an effect imagined by WoT devs, it's broadly accepted and proved by actual test(like the 120mm penetration pic I posted).

Second, the article itself had been contradicting in using the term normalization:

“normalization” gets higher values with a greater shell diameter (that means more mass per mm²). In other words: Small calibers are worse against sloped armor.

If "nomalization higher" here means increasing the target armor, then the first sentence means larger calibre and more mass per mm² helps increasing armor? Even if so, why the second sentence says small calibres are worse?

Third, we are talking about obivious case that shell should penetrate despite angle, like tank AP hitting an APC. The force per space a tank shell apply to 10mm of APC armor is way beyond its resistence, even it's shot from 10 degree.

Things are not just simple trigonometric, if it is, did you ever see a paper bounce off bullet?
« Last Edit: 18-08-2013, 03:08:22 by kingtiger1891 »

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 18-08-2013, 04:08:43 »
"Damage" in terms of the BF2 tweak files means base damage and does not take the material damage modifiers into account, so on the whole it's only vaguely related to the actual damage you do. Needless to say the Panzerschreck and Bazooka rockets have different materials, so are under the effect of different damage multipliers.

In general terms you could say the base damage was increased from 45 to 55 hitpoints, so the panzerschreck will do over 20% more damage than it currently does.
« Last Edit: 18-08-2013, 04:08:59 by Lightning »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 18-08-2013, 04:08:55 »
Just tested the Schreck in the current beta and I can finaly kill Shermans with one shot again.  ;D

And what Lightning said: giving the Schreck and the Bazooka the same capablities is not the way to go. They have different calibres in RL and that's how they should be represented ingame.