Author Topic: Bad Company 2 maps in Battlefield 2?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
Bad Company 2 maps in Battlefield 2?
« on: 20-09-2012, 00:09:19 »
Hello,

I was just wondering, has anyone ever tried making some BC2 maps for Battlefield 2? I know this might be a crazy idea but some of the maps there would look great in BF2!

Like Arica Harbor:

Or Panama Canal:

Maybe even Port Valdez:

Your thoughts?  :)
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Company 2 maps in Battlefield 2?
« Reply #1 on: 20-09-2012, 00:09:03 »
lmao, seeing those minimaps, you actually realize how pathetically small the maps in BC2 were ^^

anyway, sure that could be done, but question is: "would they play half as good as in BC2?" if not, there's be no point in making them (I mean, there really isn't, because these maps are like 16p versions of the current BF2 maps...)

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-09-2012, 07:09:59 »
Wow looking at those minimaps you really see how restraint the movement is on those maps...
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-09-2012, 08:09:08 »
They're for 32 players  ;)

And yes, this would be fantastic. Most of the BC2 maps had fantastic game play, especially the Rush variants. BF2 assets do remind of BC2 in some sense, except for some gigantic structures that arent available in the BF2 directories.

Sadly no one plays custom vanilla maps, so it would have to be added to a mod, like Project Reality. For FH2 there are only a few maps that could be incorporated and meta-translated to a WW2 conflict (Like Operation Harvest was translated to Totalize, with much success :)

Arica Harbor could easily be turned to a North african battle
Atacama desert could easily be turned to a North African battle (in Tunis perhaps?)
Port valdez could be turned in to a Norwegian coast battle or similar (british troops trying to push germans out of factory areas and towns)

many more, with imagination and open mind  8)
« Last Edit: 20-09-2012, 17:09:00 by Ciupita »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-09-2012, 09:09:45 »
fantastic game play
especially the Rush variants
trololololololololo

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-09-2012, 08:09:46 »
Like Operation Harvest was translated to Totalize, with much success :)
Had no idea this was the case. So Totalize isn't really historically accurate then?

Biiviz

« Reply #6 on: 21-09-2012, 09:09:13 »
Totalize is as Vanilla as it gets.

It's still very enjoyable in FH2.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-09-2012, 12:09:23 »
They're for 32 players  ;)

Most of the BC2 maps had fantastic game play, especially the Rush variants.

Are you serious? Fantastic gameplay? The game itself has it's moments but overall the maps are boring and compared to the BF2 vanilla maps pure crap and design fails. The only maps I can remember that are kinda cool are "Heavy Metal" and "Erntetag". All other maps suffer from an important problem. They are too small and chokepointish even for 32 players and badly designed in terms of spawnplacing and the location of flags and mainbases. I won't go into detail about those problems but you as a game designer should notice them if you really took the time and played the game.

The concept of Rush is nice but it is halfassed. The defending team gets always spawnraped.
The spawns are too close to the MComs and there are too few of them. And that's the main flaw of this gamemode.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-09-2012, 18:09:04 »
Rush works beautifully in both BC2 anf BF3.. check the numbers.. players love it. maybe you just don't "get it"
87 Metacritic on PC: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-bad-company-2

End of story.

Back on topic; yes BC2 maps would be cool to see translated to BF2  8)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-09-2012, 18:09:05 »
Just looking at the minimaps I'd say the chokepoints are too extreme for FH2 type weapon damage, even with 32p.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-09-2012, 18:09:33 »
Didn't you claim in another post somewhere in the depth of this forum that user score isn't representative for anything?

And if you really want to prove me, that people love to get shot their brains out the second they spawn, then you need real help. In BC2 people leave the server when they get base raped over a longer time. And it is the same with the Rush mode. I don't know a single person who loves it to get spawnkilled.
The only luck of those people is, that there are enough populated servers still running.

As I said, the game is still a good game and can be fun, but compared to the mapdesign in BF2 it is a catastrophy design wise especialy when you take a closer look at the maps. I wouldn't buy it a second time tbh.

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-09-2012, 18:09:23 »
In BC2 the only good mode is team fever (or sth like that) - playing 4 vs 4 or 5 vs 5 (I don't remember)...

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21-09-2012, 19:09:22 »
Didn't you claim in another post somewhere in the depth of this forum that user score isn't representative for anything?

user score? I posted the MC..  ::)

Offline KnowYourEnemy123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22-09-2012, 14:09:20 »
BC2 is a crappy game for a bf title, but it's a spin-off so it's acceptable.

BF3 however... oh dear they fucked it up. Can't wait to see how bad BF4 is going to be.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-09-2012, 14:09:46 »
Ah, ok. So 46 critics show more what the users/players want or like instead of the userscore of 944. Nice logic. Despite the fact that 46 or even 944 out of thousends of players and customers aren't reliable to deal with statistics. But I guess your mathematics will prove me something different.

If you had a clue how statistics work, than you wouldn't write such nonesense.  ::)