Author Topic: Computer Recommendations  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
Computer Recommendations
« on: 26-03-2011, 20:03:05 »
My dad is getting a new computer and asked me how much RAM he needed, and seeing as I really don't know that much about RAM I was wondering if someone on here had a suggestion for how much was a good amount for the system.

He was looking at either 8GB or 16GB @ 1333Mhz, or 4GB @ 1866Mhz.

The other important system specs will be something like:
Processor: Core-i7 2600K @ 4.1 GHz
GPU: Radeon HD6870 1 GB (he may get two of these, I don't think he's decided)
HD: 1TB at 7200rpm

Any other suggestions on the system would be welcome too.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 26-03-2011, 21:03:57 »
The system will be rather expensive. From what I see the Intel Core i7-2600 runs usually @ 3.40GHz. Thus you'll be overclocking. Make sure you got a proper CPU cooler.

Suggestion:

Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Flex (comes without fans!!!!)

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=373

Fans (2x): be quiet! Silent Wings Pure 120x120x25

http://www.be-quiet.net/be-quiet.net/index.php?StoryID=30&ProductID=88&websiteLang=en

I'd also consider a Raid 01 (2 drives)  or a Raid 10 (4 drives).

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-03-2011, 22:03:16 »
I probably should have mentioned in the first post, but he's getting it pre-built by Alienware. Obviously it won't be cost effective(I think it'll be around $2000) but, hey, it's his money. It also it means he can't customize some specific components like the heating system or PSU, both of which look okay as built though. He was looking at doing RAID possibly but I think he decided against it.

I'm primarily looking for suggestions regarding the RAM though, if someone had any insight into that it would be great. I'm not really sure how much RAM is actually needed, for instance, would 16GB actually do any good over 8GB? I can't imagine what would use 8GB of RAM.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-03-2011, 22:03:05 »
I'd say that 4 GB is the standard today, 8 GB is good for being safe for quite some time in the future and 16 GB if for servers, show offs and people who really do RAM-intensive tasks or play more games simultaneously...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-03-2011, 22:03:32 »
As 4 GB are somewhat little by now, you can consider 8GB to be the current standard. If you plan to use the computer for 5 years without upgrade/replacement, you could go for 16 GB. If you'll replace it after approximately 3 years, 8 GB might be enough. However, that is a very difficult question. 8 GB in one DIMM are about 75€(105US$) here. Really hard to recommend something.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #5 on: 27-03-2011, 22:03:07 »
8gb for sure. Even now my ram usage is almost 3gb and I just have some music players, ims and firefox open. For some reason newest firefox appears to use quite a lot of ram, got some 10ish tabs open and it uses 550mb ram. Even the old one used quite a lot.

I've already managed to hit 5.5 gb ram usage in total while playing company of heroes with custom skins and some other programs open so for me atleast that 8gb have been worth every cent. Also running bf2 editor, fh2 in windowed mode and photoshop at the same time tends to use some resources :P
CMP Gaming

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-03-2011, 01:03:24 »
Get a 1TB harddrive + 120GB SSD or so instead of raid. Host OS and games on the SSD. Haddrive is the main bottleneck on modern PCs, not using an SSD almost distracts away from the gain of having 2x 6870s. But read reviews, some SSDs can be just as bad as harddrives.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-03-2011, 15:03:02 »
Speaking about memory errors when you got only 4GB. I love that. ::)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-03-2011, 17:03:03 »

You can just turn up your paging file. But its really slow with an HDD.
But RAM is more a necessity on Win7 then it is on XP for example.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-03-2011, 19:03:09 »
Get a 1TB harddrive + 120GB SSD or so instead of raid. Host OS and games on the SSD. Haddrive is the main bottleneck on modern PCs, not using an SSD almost distracts away from the gain of having 2x 6870s. But read reviews, some SSDs can be just as bad as harddrives.

This^. Take a good SSD for the OS and games, surely Alienware has a config with SDD.
I would go for the 4GB seeing as it has a higher clock frequency, but it depends on the mobo. If the FSB is not in the same freq. range as the memory you won't benefit from it.<--- http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depot/101780-simi-ddr2-running-synchronously-the-fsb.html

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-03-2011, 23:03:02 »

You can just turn up your paging file. But its really slow with an HDD.
But RAM is more a necessity on Win7 then it is on XP for example.

Can't adress more than 3.2GB anyway with XP 32-bit.