Author Topic: Infantry; Squad roles  (Read 7394 times)

Offline DesertRat40-45

• View Profile
Re: Infantry; Squad roles
« Reply #30 on: 01-04-2009, 11:04:14 »
here i got another idea - SL walks to supply crate. press T and in commorose there could be a 3 options - MG squad, AT squad - Mortar squad. When he select one of the squads for example MG squad, 3 random people in his squad gets each other - 1 tripod, 1 MG, and ammo belts and boxes. Than commander select special order "Deploy MG gun" and it shows for these where to set it up. Than they attach stuff to each other and takes their position, right klicking can acitvate pickup mode. Same with mortar and AT gun. The guys who are left provide covering fire (NCO, riflemen, riflemen). Devs could also make limit so in each team there is 1 of each units. And other squadleaders who dont have that stuff, request (puts markers) "Need HeavyMG" etc.

I dont know if that is possible, its only suggestion ;)

Sig editted (oversize)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #31 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:24 »
I'll just repeat it again, wait for Normandy and then start suggesting stuff again, so much will change. *dreamsofplayingonPointeduHocwith64peopleallthetime*  :-[ *pattshisMG42*

you taunt us sir! it's makes our heart feel pained, we wants it!

I *strongly agree* - the discussion here is not thinking outside of the Afrika Theatre, RPs in fields, or crumbling Soviet streets, or torched Berlin avenues would be an utter nightmare, you already get PR players trying their hardest to glitch the PR system an put rally points inside rocks, and generally out of reach to anything but a death star.  No RPs I say, bad!

here i got another idea - SL walks to supply crate. press T and in commorose there could be a 3 options - MG squad, AT squad - Mortar squad. When he select one of the squads for example MG squad, 3 random people in his squad gets each other - 1 tripod, 1 MG, and ammo belts and boxes. Than commander select special order "Deploy MG gun" and it shows for these where to set it up. Than they attach stuff to each other and takes their position, right klicking can acitvate pickup mode. Same with mortar and AT gun. The guys who are left provide covering fire (NCO, riflemen, riflemen). Devs could also make limit so in each team there is 1 of each units. And other squadleaders who dont have that stuff, request (puts markers) "Need HeavyMG" etc.

Which game had that? I've played somethign where you could do that, hit 'E' when next to a friendly controlled flag and swap kits....
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:38 »

I think you are better off playing ArmA or the such if you enjoy realism in that depth. ^^
+1 for creative thinking but - a zillion for impracticality.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline DesertRat40-45

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01-04-2009, 16:04:32 »
I ment that i didnt knew if it was possible to set into the Fh2 huh
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01-04-2009, 16:04:40 »
Reporter meant that the idea even if possible to fulfil is a bit too complicated and impractical too fit into FH2 gameplay. (I think) Anyway keep'em coming couse any idea is better than none ;).

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01-04-2009, 17:04:26 »
here i got another idea - SL walks to supply crate. press T and in commorose there could be a 3 options - MG squad, AT squad - Mortar squad.
Someone has played Project Reality :P .

I think you are better off playing ArmA or the such if you enjoy realism in that depth. ^^
+1 for creative thinking but - a zillion for impracticality.
I don't see how it's impractical. Just choosing something from a commo-rose when standing next to something is easy enough, people do it all the time when communicating. As for setting up positions, works well enough in the First Strike mod (officer places tripod laser, support has to place generator for it to keep firing), and that's not nearly as complicated and teamwork-oriented a mod as FH2.

Best way to do it in my eyes would be to be able to walk over to a certain spot in your main base, choose type of kit, for then to receive a new officer kit identical to your old one but with a mortar or MG which you can then place and have someone else provide ammo for.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:00 »
I meant having 3 people to set up a MG position is super impractical.
Yes in PR you can go to a spot and select a kit, in FH2 you go to a spot and pick the kit up.
Where is the difference now?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:44 »
PR has much more "special kits" and I guess they don't want to have them lying around everywhere. Also i think you can only get them while being in a squad, in FH everybody can pick up everything. (which is right in my opinion, no need for a sniper to be in a squad)

konti

« Reply #38 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:15 »
PR has much more "special kits"

Are you sure? I once heard that FH2 has about 70 kits, if I remember it right. This is quite much, isn't it?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:59 »
Yeah, but when it comes to playing it boils down to sniper kits, special smg kits with bigger explosives and grapple hooks, tank hunter kits and the occasional machine gun. Most of these are complementary and placed in positions where they make sense gameplay wise. They are more gimmicks than the "serious" limited kits of PR, which offer weapons you can't spawn with.
On the other hand I think we will see more pickup kits in normandy, to represent rarer late war weapons like the G43, the Stg44 or the M3 Grease gun.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:43 »
I actually think it could be interesting for weapons that are "not common but not exotic", instead of giving them to a limited spawn kit, to set up an armory tent/house at chosen flags where they would lie around, not just one or two but, well, as much as the spawn kit limit would be, 8 or something like that.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01-04-2009, 19:04:12 »
Tbh I find the limited spawning in FH2 more elegant than the kit requests in PR.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01-04-2009, 21:04:45 »
Well I was not talking about kit requests, but rather about a fixed place with kits. Let's say the usual rifleman kit would get a K98k, and some guys could pick up a G43 there. You wouldnt have to sacrifice another spawn class for a second rifleman with G43 then, that's what I meant.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02-04-2009, 03:04:12 »
PR has much more "special kits" and I guess they don't want to have them lying around everywhere. Also i think you can only get them while being in a squad, in FH everybody can pick up everything. (which is right in my opinion, no need for a sniper to be in a squad)

Yes, in PR there were special rules for when you could get different kits (a kit could only be requested so often by each player, who had to be in a squad of a certain size, etc. etc. etc.). Plus that PR utilized assets you could build, and Rally Points, both of which were spots where you could request kits.

The one shortcoming of pickup kits is you can't take the pickup kit spawns with you and get your hands on them without having to spawn all the way back at base. With PR's system, you could get the kits you needed where you needed it, when you needed it.

{/sort of off-topic?}

Yeah, but when it comes to playing it boils down to sniper kits, special smg kits with bigger explosives and grapple hooks, tank hunter kits and the occasional machine gun. Most of these are complementary and placed in positions where they make sense gameplay wise. They are more gimmicks than the "serious" limited kits of PR, which offer weapons you can't spawn with.
Yup. While in PR to my knowledge you only have distinct kits like AT Rifleman, Grenadier, Stinger infantry, Combat Engineer, Pilot, etc., not variations of them. FH2 is more about attention to detail :) . I like it both ways, to be honest, PR has a great system which fits PR and the FH series has a great system that fits FH2.

Offline DesertRat40-45

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02-04-2009, 13:04:40 »
Okey, okey

But i find these all "special kits" are difficult to find, and some of them looks all the same.

So here is my next idea to make special boxes, or tables near everyflag where all these special stuff respawns so player can walk up and take these, I know its already is like that, there are certain points where the different kits are, but if devs could replace these with points where all stuff would be. So we get it at once at the flag. Right now you get deploy able MG in main base and when you are about to deploy it an "All-seeing-tank" comes and frags you.
Sig editted (oversize)