Author Topic: Assuming Pegasus Bridge is in the making  (Read 1624 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Assuming Pegasus Bridge is in the making
« on: 15-06-2014, 12:06:05 »
I thought (and I dont know, maybe the mapper did, too) it would be cool if, similar to Keren, the map had a nighttime 64p layer while the 32p layer would be set during the day, having the Brits defend the bridge.

Cause honestly, back in the CoD days, I enjoyed defending the bridge against Jerry more than the nighttime assault. Might be just me though and chances are no German counterattack actually took place (its CoD after all), I didnt check with a history book on this.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
Re: Assuming Pegasus Bridge is in the making
« Reply #1 on: 15-06-2014, 15:06:13 »
That's an excellent thought. Would be a great way to depict both parts of the battle.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-06-2014, 16:06:17 »
I can't really remember, but wasn't the bridge taken in the matter of a half an hour at most? Maybe the 64p layer should be set during the day...  :-\
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-06-2014, 16:06:12 »
At 00:16 hrs on 6th June, the British 6th Airborne Division consisting of D Company of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry landed by parachutes and gliders east of the River Orne and the Caen Canal.

The bridge was guarded by German machine gun posts but by using gliders, the British landed with a degree of surprise and the bridge was captured with relative ease after a 10 minute fire-fight. Howard had time to set up his defences for the expected German counter-attack which came at 02.10 - about 2 hours after their landing.

Within half an hour of the bridge being taken, 6th Airborne parachutists landed to provide reinforcement. The Ox & Bucks were reinforced half-an-hour after the landings by 600 men of 7th Battalion, the Parachute Regiment who were the relieving force to bear the brunt of German counter-attacks to the west of the Caen Canal throughout the 6th of June.

I like your idea & it seems the counter attacks went on throughout the day.
 ;)

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-06-2014, 16:06:49 »
I think the following would be good:
64 - Day - British hold bridge, hold off counter attacks
32 - Night - Bridge assault
16 - Night - Just the bridge, KOTH

Of course this is just speculation and a suggestion if nothing else. There is no confirmation that a Pegasus map is being worked or is anywhere near being ready. The 64 should be the day layer I believe, more action.

There were some counterattacks during the night which could be depicted in the 32.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-06-2014, 17:06:15 »
Yeah well, ASSUMING Pegasus Bridge is in the making...

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-06-2014, 17:06:07 »
Assuming it got into localization files:
LOADINGSCREEN_MAPDESCRIPTION_pegasus

GAMEMODE_DESCRIPTION_pegasus   This is a Push - Counterattack map.
To win the map Germans have to capture both bridges. The UK team wins the map if they defend both bridges.
CP_64_pegasus_mairie           Mairie
CP_64_pegasus_benouville           Benouville
CP_64_pegasus_le_port                LE Port
CP_64_pegasus_pegasus_bridge        Pegasus Bridge
CP_64_pegasus_horsa_bridge            Horsa Bridge
CP_64_pegasus_hameau_de_longueville         Hameau de Longueville
CP_64_pegasus_ranville    Ranville
CP_64_pegasus_herouvillette      Herouvillette
CP_64_pegasus_chateau_de_benouville     Chateau de Benouville
CP_64_pegasus_le_bas_de_ranville       Ranville le Bas
CP_64_pegasus_Le_Mariquet           Le Mariquet

alongside with Kharkov outskirts...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-06-2014, 18:06:58 »
Well, it still proves nothing.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-06-2014, 19:06:15 »
Can you have a nighttime and a daytime layer of the same map?  I think you would need 2 different maps.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-06-2014, 19:06:48 »
It can be done, Eppeldorf and Keren both have nighttime 32 layers.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-06-2014, 19:06:42 »
Can you have a nighttime and a daytime layer of the same map?  I think you would need 2 different maps.
We have them in game since 2.45.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-06-2014, 19:06:55 »
Keren has a night version too in the other layer.

I somehow didnt see Keren being mentioned before.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-06-2014, 23:06:00 »
I like the idea of doing different parts of a battle in one map. :) I've always liked how PdH 64 is the original attack, and PdH 32 more or less represents the German counter attacks that occurred the next few days.

If I'm being honest, I've always wanted to see PdH 32 with rain and a much darker, almost nighttime, sky setting. Iirc, most of the counterattacks against the rangers happened at night and we're sporadic. And the rain... well that's shamelessly pulled from the CoD2 level 'defending the point' :P it would just give it a nice different feel. (and I've always wanted to see more rain maps in FH2)

I think a lot of maps could have different layers on them representing different parts of the battle tho. (I'd like to see the daytime layer of Mersa come back) Imo it would be a very good idea to make the most of the maps we currently have and put a lot of variation into them. Keren and Eppl have the nighttime layers and it's like playing an entirely different map when you're on them. Almost like 2 maps for the price of one.

If the community could come up with new layer ideas on a map to map basis (like this thread here) and if the devs like one or think it's easy enough to implement, they could put it in.

There's a ton of history buffs here too. I'm sure they could let us know what ideas of ours are historically accurate or not ;) 

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-06-2014, 01:06:54 »
I like the idea of getting more parts of a battle in different maplayers, too.

(I'd like to see the daytime layer of Mersa come back)
There's a ton of history buffs here too. I'm sure they could let us know what ideas of ours are historically accurate or not ;)
Mersa daytime is not historically accurate :) I'm glad it's gone. I used to hate the map, but the night added made it a bit better.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-06-2014, 02:06:07 »
If the community could come up with new layer ideas on a map to map basis (like this thread here) and if the devs like one or think it's easy enough to implement, they could put it in.

There really is no excuse for every map not having the maximum numbers of layers.  For the most part it just requires some editing of the GlobalPlayObjects.con to redraw combat zones and move the flags and assets around.  Yes you could spend lots of time to get the 32 and 16 really really right, but that's what updates are for and there is no test like a public play to fine tune them.

I've done a lot of this with custom maps recently.  I'd be happy to try to implement anybody's idea.  I also encourage anybody to try to teach themselves how to do it.  It's fairly self explanatory, just be sure to make back-ups.