Author Topic: Lower the LMG hipfire spread  (Read 1105 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Lower the LMG hipfire spread
« on: 05-09-2012, 23:09:14 »
At just a few feet distance you SHOULD be able to hit something while hipfiring with BAR/BREN... currently it's simply a joke. I mean wtf, Thompson has a higher RoF, yet you can run'n'gun with it just fine, while BAR is a useless POS.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
Re: Lower the LMG hipfire spread
« Reply #1 on: 06-09-2012, 05:09:37 »
Realistic Gun Handling: Hold the gun firmly to the hip and hold the trigger. Compensate for recoil and keep muzzle pointed at the enemy.

Forgotten Hope 2 Logic: Hold gun at hip, pull trigger- NOODLE ARMS *WoopWoopWoopWoop*

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-09-2012, 06:09:21 »
Yes, the current spread is really unwarranted, instead of compensate-able thrown away aiming point (recoil effects), we got bullet spreads.

Please don't follow popular realism guide too much. Their system is too arbitrary to enforce realism.

Offline Uberplatypus

• "The machine gun is a much overrated weapon."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-09-2012, 07:09:52 »
Yeah if i'm not mistaken the BAR was developed during the First World War for "walking fire". It didn't really work out as planned but it's still possible. After all, the BAR is just a rifle with a little added weight. Hell, I heard a story about some crazy bastard on Okinawa hip - firing an M1917  :o
Crashing full APC's since 1942.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-09-2012, 07:09:40 »
You're actually right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9m3RMgLizQ

An people say bullshit that a soldier can't hip fire an MG while in the middle of battle and experiencing a mother fucker of an adrenaline rush.

That water cooled browning gun was about 62 pounds
« Last Edit: 06-09-2012, 08:09:01 by Cheesus Krighst »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-09-2012, 08:09:24 »
I don't think anyone on these forums ever said it's not possible. Thing is, that we don't want LMG to replace role of SMG in game.

Edit: Currently things work pretty much like they should. People with MG's fire from fixed positions, while SMG's and rifles do the attacking job.
« Last Edit: 06-09-2012, 08:09:36 by ajappat »

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-09-2012, 08:09:06 »
I don't think anyone on these forums ever said it's not possible. Thing is, that we don't want LMG to replace role of SMG in game.

Edit: Currently things work pretty much like they should. People with MG's fire from fixed positions, while SMG's and rifles do the attacking job.

An MG gunner going prone on a window sill or sandbag isn't a fixed position in my book, lol.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-09-2012, 09:09:03 »
Well those are exploits due to the game mechanic.
The reason ajappat gave is still valid.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-09-2012, 10:09:22 »
the first day after we would have accurate mg hip fire everyone would run to the forum and cry about the imba and overpowa of da mg !

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-09-2012, 10:09:58 »
Well those are exploits due to the game mechanic.
The reason ajappat gave is still valid.
*Facepalm*
I don't see how lowly attempts at using MG guns correctly is an exploit? In WW2 MG guns were mounted on walls and sandbags and window sills. But thanks to the good ol' bf2 engine, its unable to do such, or its just way too hard to insert it in the game.
Why is it an exploit? Or were you talking about faulty game mechanics, not exploits?

the first day after we would have accurate mg hip fire everyone would run to the forum and cry about the imba and overpowa of da mg !

The MG gun should be able to mostly hit a target about 3 yards away from you with full burst. But sadly our troops have limp noodles as arms, so we must resort to standing 5 feet from the target to get at least 5 shots out of 15 to hit (Obviously I am exaggerating the weak abilities of hip fire bursting, don't take too seriously).

Also if the devs do increase the accuracy about an inch closer, don't put it in the changelog, you'll be surprised how clueless the community will be if you never tell them the accuracy increase.
« Last Edit: 06-09-2012, 10:09:10 by Cheesus Krighst »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-09-2012, 10:09:11 »
Let me try and explain it differently.
If you made an mg hipfired with proper accuracy, you will get those replacing smgs in cqb.
Why? because you will be firing full auto rifle rounds and 1skilling everything.

Also, with realistic accuracy, the nature of the Bf2 engine means, you can also do accurate singleshot hipfire from range. Which is not cool.

Sadly, its A GAME, so something's gotta give. CQB accurate LMGs drew short straw.
Until some workaround arrives that allows both accurate full auto in CQB and inaccurate single-shot distant fire to exist - and still allow smgs to be the prefered cqb weapon, the best compromise the devs have been able to find is what you see before you.

Its a 2005 sandbox engine built to to combine various classes and roles, never properly caliberated for hardcore realism in individual soldier experience. A mod like FH2 can only be made so realistic without hacking the hard code.
« Last Edit: 06-09-2012, 10:09:29 by djinn »

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-09-2012, 10:09:20 »
Speaking of MG stuff, will we be seeing any type of tiny movement speed decrease for MG gunners?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-09-2012, 15:09:12 »
The thing that makes MG unable to replace SMG in real world is their weight and heavy calibre bullet that makes them difficult to control when firing.

So, instead of giving it arbitrary spread, why not make the recoil greater while firing from the hip? So when we press fire, the view will jump out of the aiming screen if the player isn't ready to compensate the recoil with his mouse.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-09-2012, 15:09:39 »
jesus effin christ, I didn't suggest "MAKE IT LAS0R BEAM ACCURATE SO I CAN PWN EVERYTHING" . . . . .

I only want to lower the spread by only that much so you'd be able to HIT an enemy standing 5-10 feet from you. I'm not asking to make it rifle-accurate ffs, only make it at least SOMEWHAT accurate so it's not a fucked up artificial mechanic that spreads bullets all over your screen like it is currently done with handheld AT weapons (where it's fine, though).

It wouldn't replace SMGs in any way, mainly because of rate of fire and still a slightly higher spread. And recoil.

See, BAR is an Automatic Rifle, not an MG. And these two were used differently. I'm fine with the deployed BAR requiring you to lie down, but the 450rpm version needs to be fixed. It's not about it replacing SMGs, not at all. It's about when I find myself in CQ with a BAR in my hands and enemy behind a corner who storms me, I want to be able to take him down. Be able. Currently I'm not (unless I ADS... in CQC... I'd rather use my fists in that case, if that was possible). Oh and yes, I'm well aware you have a sidearm, but having to switch to a pistol while you already have a weapon that is perfectly capable of taking the enemy down by common sense, is plain stupid.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-09-2012, 17:09:34 »
MG's are fine, If anything i would just improve their accuracy when ADS (or in other word remove spread when ADS) and thats it. Even though hip dire spread is ridiculous.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!