Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2 - Mapping project - Good vs Bad  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2 - Mapping project - Good vs Bad
« Reply #60 on: 14-03-2015, 12:03:10 »
About map rotation on public server I think it's good idea to have all of them in the rotation. Even though I don't like most of them, I have to accept that those can be liked by someone else. When theres a map which I don't like, I simply try to find something pleasable to do for me, If I can't I simply quit and play other game... 1 suggestion which could be implemented in the rotation is to avoid playing maps from 1 theatre ona row. Sometimes I have strange feeling that this mod has only Africa theatre... Not sure if it can be implemented...
« Last Edit: 14-03-2015, 12:03:17 by Mudzin »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14-03-2015, 14:03:45 »
I get the opposite feeling.  Never enough Africa, too much Normandy. To each his own.

Offline Kasztelan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14-03-2015, 15:03:31 »
Best map in FH2?

Luttich, Hurtgen, Villers Bocage.

Every other map is bad for my taste.

From FHT tournament maps, I can name Hill 262, Etna Line, Argentan, Advance on Foy
From WaW, Garigliano Crossing, Vosges and Westwall is good.

I know it's a stupid question but, is there a way to download Hill 262?

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #63 on: 15-03-2015, 16:03:23 »
Updated original post.

Btw. Thanks Airshark for destroying my intensions by this thread.

Hello hello hello..

The (un)official community mapping project that went live a couple of months ago is sticking around.
This is taking a toe on the server population of mod/game.
I do believe that the quality of Forgotten Hope 2's official content is state of the art.
However, the community mapping release is dividing the playerbase on a daily basis, (im not talking about the tournaments played on the weekends, which i love btw.).

I do think this harms our game by having 30 players playing the stock maps and 19 people playing the CMP-maps. We do not need a mod in our mod.

The content created by the FH2 developers are state of the art quility. Even though the CMP is not of the same quality it should still be in the mod. IMO it should be incorporated in the mod without developers of the stock content taking any responsability of it, neither put any of their valuable time into it.

I find a huge problem in dividing the already small playerbase.

I guess i placed too much emphasis on "badly ported content from Waw" (I was a little drunk) what i did mean was that there is a big differance between Stock content and the CMP-content, by that showing my respect for the FH2 developers. - And to ask them to include the CMP into their build.

I love the FHT content, and respect their work and WAW's and 762's aswell. I didn't want to be disrespectful - I just wanted to point out how the CMP-content should be incorporated in the mod to save the playerbase.

Thanks for now!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #64 on: 15-03-2015, 16:03:54 »
Matt_Baker said it best. Read over his posts if you want to know why [762] will stick
with the concept of 1 server offering all FH2 stock maps. Apart from heavily problematic ones,
e.g. Anctoville 64 objective, Hyacinth 64 and even in these cases we asked our players first.

Neither Neo82, nor Sandre, nor me just decided what maps to be played. We have been discussing
the map list for over 4 years now. Applying the "I like this and not that"-approach is guaranteed
to piss of someone, whoever does the selecting. So we have reached a point where we try to offer
all working FH2 maps at least once, in a random rotation to offer diversity.

As for the custom maps: there will be a new CMP, it will hopefully include some Pacific maps,
we will hopefully be able to mix it into the stock FH2 maps, we will hopefully have a one-click-installer
included in the download. "hopefully" = currently being worked on by our mappers and coders.

When I say "our" I mean freelancers, FH2 developers, WaW and FHT mappers in the CMP team.
If you scold them like you did in the first posts, without justification, it is just ignorant of their
extra effort. Why not simply enjoy that there is finally some new content for FH2? No one forces
 you to play it, [762]#1 and other non-CMP FH2 servers are available to you. Just a few thoughts.

Sorry Odium.

My main intention was to discuss the includement of the CMP in the game for the sake of the population of FH2. And showing my respect for their work.
Though i guess i disrespected the CMP contributors. (Remember i want to include that content in the mod - that means i like your and your fellows work)

Also I think the devs missunderstood my intentions too.. I would ask them to read my updated post,
Airshark please dont hijack this thread again, please leave.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15-03-2015, 17:03:44 »
elander, you start from a false premise that the CMP is dividing the population.  762 is currently testing the CMP on their #2 server and testing the Pacific on their #3 server.  That's what is causing the population to jump from one server to another.  If you think it is disruptive you should complain at 762, though I hope you see that the testing is necessary.  It has nothing to do with being "officially" part of the mod or not.  When the testing is done, you may see these maps in the same rotation with the official maps on some servers.  There will be less server hopping as a result. 

The only difference from being part of the mod and a custom mod is that you will have a separate download or installer from the official FH2 updater.  That is not a bad thing as far as I am concerned.  It gives the CMP/Pacific team more flexibility to offer updates and fixes more frequently than the official updater.  IMO it is not too much of a burden to expect players of a mod of an ancient game to have to download separate map packs from time to time.  What we are trying to say is that this argument is unnecessary at this point, despite your good intentions.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #66 on: 15-03-2015, 17:03:48 »
elander, you start from a false premise that the CMP is dividing the population.  762 is currently testing the CMP on their #2 server and testing the Pacific on their #3 server.  That's what is causing the population to jump from one server to another.  If you think it is disruptive you should complain at 762, though I hope you see that the testing is necessary.  It has nothing to do with being "officially" part of the mod or not.  When the testing is done, you may see these maps in the same rotation with the official maps on some servers.  There will be less server hopping as a result. 

The only difference from being part of the mod and a custom mod is that you will have a separate download or installer from the official FH2 updater.  That is not a bad thing as far as I am concerned.  It gives the CMP/Pacific team more flexibility to offer updates and fixes more frequently than the official updater.  IMO it is not too much of a burden to expect players of a mod of an ancient game to have to download separate map packs from time to time.  What we are trying to say is that this argument is unnecessary at this point, despite your good intentions.

I dissagree with your text in the bold qotation.
It's not 762 fault
Player hopping will get worse
Separate download is not good