Author Topic: Götterdämmerung - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: Götterdämmerung - A Forgotten Hope 2 Update
« Reply #15 on: 14-12-2015, 00:12:50 »
The map does look as sparse as the first release of Cobra. Hopefully it will get a makeover too ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14-12-2015, 09:12:17 »
Hopefully it will get a makeover too ;)

Well let's release it first before remaking it a third time...  ;)

That being said, there are two reasons the map might look a tad less elaborate than others, one trivial, the other not so much.

1. The area around Seelow neither has the intricate hedgerows of Normandy, nor the hills and wild pine forests of the Ardennes. In fact, except for the cliff in the middle, the terrain is about as flat as Alam Halfa. Together with the fog in BF2, this is hard to make look cool, especially if you can't put hedges everywhere like in Normandy.

2. More importantly, we ran into massive performance problems while testing this, to the point where many lower end PCs would probably crash everytime they tried to switch to the map (not to mention lag etc.) This meant I had to spent some very unfun mapping sessions drastically lowering the variety of statics, getting rid of some very good looking smoke effects, lowering fog range and cutting down on different gameplay assets as well. Let's just say there is a reason why most of our maps with planes have the kind of terrain of Operation Totalize and not this:

Many different statics from different static sets (Russia, France, Bulge) + fairly high render distance for planes + many different vehicles + unusually big variety of weapons (Volkssturm Stuff) = unhappy BF2 engine. IIRC at one point the whole thing loaded more than 2 Gigs of RAM by itself. I got that number down significantly, but as you can imagine I didn't add a lot of details after that.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-12-2015, 10:12:45 »
You could have saved more and got rid of those crates you see on the right next to the building (by the stairs). Those darn things are bloody everywhere! What are in those? Hopes and dreams of pubbie players?  ;D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14-12-2015, 12:12:17 »
They are simply generic cover elements.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14-12-2015, 18:12:34 »
Did you guys go as far as to recreate the pirate ship?

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14-12-2015, 22:12:03 »
Will this cool looking map also come as 16 player king of the building layout or only as 64player ?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-12-2015, 23:12:55 »
We tried a version for 16p centered completely on the building, but it wasn't that much fun. There will be a 16p Push version and a  32p conquest version though.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-12-2015, 23:12:45 »
Testing 16p layer with 16 players (pun intended) is wrong. As the FH2 Game Nights of yore and the occasional mishap upon server restart can witness, the real fun (or !!FUN!!) lies in 128 players battling it out on a 16p map ;D

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-12-2015, 01:12:36 »
http://i.imgur.com/T0LVB5I.png
Not ready for release until it's there.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-12-2015, 21:12:27 »
^ Indeed, devs don't really put easter eggs on the maps anymore ... (or do they?  ::))

That's one of the things I liked with the "old" FH 1 and early FH 2 devs. They were always ready to put a few small tokens for the curios to find and give them a good laugh.

Also the PR devs... Man the rumors about the PR bear are still all over the forums!  ;D

Otherwise congratz on the ModDB top 100 again, glad to see my vote did not go to waste. You guys definitely deserve it, the sheer quality of the stuff you put out is almost unheard of in mods!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-12-2015, 21:12:01 »
Well IIRC all Eastern Front maps have at least one Radbear hidden somewhere for those who like to look for small easter eggs.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15-12-2015, 22:12:50 »
Well IIRC all Eastern Front maps have at least one Radbear hidden somewhere for those who like to look for small easter eggs.

That's correct!

Never found any on the 32 or 16p versions though. ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16-12-2015, 04:12:04 »
Forgot to post here. Awesome to see the proper update.

Don't let the screenshots fool you, Seelow is an awesome map :) you get the nice progression from low wetlands, to bombed out trenches to ruined city as you fight.

Not to mention this map will have the most Russian/ German toys for you to play with ;)

KT vs IS-2 is the epitome of the East Front

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16-12-2015, 18:12:29 »
Cooool.
I really hope this will come out before x-mas, now that I cant have the gold train as a gift

RE :
2. More importantly, we ran into massive performance problems while testing this, to the point where many lower end PCs would probably crash everytime they tried to switch to the map (not to mention lag etc.) This meant I had to spent some very unfun mapping sessions drastically lowering the variety of statics, getting rid of some very good looking smoke effects, lowering fog range and cutting down on different gameplay assets as well

Maybe its time to raise the minimum specs ?  ;D

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17-12-2015, 14:12:38 »
Cooool.
I really hope this will come out before x-mas, now that I cant have the gold train as a gift

RE :
2. More importantly, we ran into massive performance problems while testing this, to the point where many lower end PCs would probably crash everytime they tried to switch to the map (not to mention lag etc.) This meant I had to spent some very unfun mapping sessions drastically lowering the variety of statics, getting rid of some very good looking smoke effects, lowering fog range and cutting down on different gameplay assets as well

Maybe its time to raise the minimum specs ?  ;D
Nooooo! Then I will become only FH2 forum member until I buy new comp
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear