Author Topic: Inefficiency of the 75mm/L48  (Read 26728 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Inefficiency of the 75mm/L48
« Reply #270 on: 19-08-2012, 12:08:07 »
Sorry Taz, if I was getting personal, but it kinda is frustarting for me to see, that people tell me that my experiences I brought up here to show some problems, are wrong. I really play alot atm and I played alot in times of 2.4.

But why is it not a possibility to roll back to older and in my opinion better working systems just for the sake of the spent hours? One of FH's for me really important aspects was the qualitiy. If the quality of an older system is better, why not just use it? Atleast you have gained new experience and can use it for the further development.

The problem with constructive feedback here is, that many of us have no clue about coding and modding in general. So our most important and one of the few ways to give feedback is to show, how it works ingame.

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 19-08-2012, 18:08:14 »
While someone is arguing how good the current long range damage modifier is, I just have one little question: what's wrong with the old long range damage system?

In 2.4 and previous versions I've seen countless time that a Sherman76 survive a Panther hit frontally in fog range, that is far more acceptable than what it is now.

We just state that we think the tanking system in 2.4 is better than 2.45, and rolling back seems to be the most convenient and practical solution. Sorry but that has nothing to do with the hours spent on it.

Offline [F|H]Taz18

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #272 on: 19-08-2012, 22:08:39 »
But why is it not a possibility to roll back to older and in my opinion better working systems just for the sake of the spent hours? One of FH's for me really important aspects was the qualitiy. If the quality of an older system is better, why not just use it? Atleast you have gained new experience and can use it for the further development.

Its not as simple as copy and paste or override with old files, other changes unrelated to this could have been made.

The problem with constructive feedback here is, that many of us have no clue about coding and modding in general. So our most important and one of the few ways to give feedback is to show, how it works ingame.

Ok, then don't get into the technical aspect of it. A good example:

Keep the angle mod, increase damage to superior weapons by 11%.

------------------

While someone is arguing how good the current long range damage modifier is, I just have one little question: what's wrong with the old long range damage system?

In 2.4 and previous versions I've seen countless time that a Sherman76 survive a Panther hit frontally in fog range, that is far more acceptable than what it is now.

We just state that we think the tanking system in 2.4 is better than 2.45, and rolling back seems to be the most convenient and practical solution. Sorry but that has nothing to do with the hours spent on it.

Way to not read what's in a post!

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 20-08-2012, 03:08:18 »
The 2.4 has ineffective Bazooka M1A1. Those who intends to roll back into it is clearly German-bias.

Everybody here knows armour thickness of any WW2 vehicles very well. My encounters has produced random results at best. But what I can confirm is the inexplicably powerful Cromwell IV armor (from any sides), despite not having any sloped armour plating (making the angle mod excuse invalid, because all of my encounters are from the same height), and the ineffectiveness of 17 pdr. I can pretty much one shot a Sherman using StuG III G from any sides, but sometimes it takes 2 shots, even to the front of a M1A1 Sherman at close range.

However, if anyone ever tries Africa, we'll see that the German tanks here feels even more balanced. I can now deal with M3 Grants more evenly with any kinds of long barreled Panzer III Js.

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #274 on: 20-08-2012, 11:08:40 »
Last night I shot a Sherman M4A3 with a Panzerschreck to side. It didn't blow up. Nice...
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 23-08-2012, 19:08:11 »
Last night I shot a Sherman M4A3 with a Panzerschreck to side. It didn't blow up. Nice...

What's unrealistic is that every tank blows in pieces on every hit as it was on 2.4.  In ww2, most of tanks lost were disabled tank abandoned by crew after malfunction due to enemy shot or mechanical problems.  Nothing to do with the explosions we find in FH2 where all the crew die instantly, as well as surrounding infantry within a certain radius.  This give the impression that tanks are kind of HE ammunition racks with tracks, just ready to explode.

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 24-08-2012, 00:08:36 »
What's unrealistic is that every tank blows in pieces on every hit as it was on 2.4.  In ww2, most of tanks lost were disabled tank abandoned by crew after malfunction due to enemy shot or mechanical problems.
Except ingame, if your opponent don't explode, you explode.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 24-08-2012, 06:08:30 »
What's unrealistic is that every tank blows in pieces on every hit as it was on 2.4.  In ww2, most of tanks lost were disabled tank abandoned by crew after malfunction due to enemy shot or mechanical problems.
Except ingame, if your opponent don't explode, you explode perforated.

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #278 on: 24-08-2012, 08:08:12 »
Yeah I get that. Crew can abandon their damaged tanks in REAL LIFE situations. This is a game.
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Biiviz

« Reply #279 on: 24-08-2012, 13:08:18 »
Drove my StuG 40 Ausf. G (early) up to a Cromwell on Operation Totalize yesterday. At a range of 10m I fired two AP (or whatever the first ammunition is) into its side, without effect. Unfortunately I didn't have time for a third shot as the round came to an end.

The questions is; does the 75mm StuK 40 L/43 suck that hard or is there some black magic involved?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 24-08-2012, 14:08:46 »

What's unrealistic is that every tank blows in pieces on every hit as it was on 2.4.  In ww2, most of tanks lost were disabled tank abandoned by crew after malfunction due to enemy shot or mechanical problems.  Nothing to do with the explosions we find in FH2 where all the crew die instantly, as well as surrounding infantry within a certain radius.  This give the impression that tanks are kind of HE ammunition racks with tracks, just ready to explode.

As much as I understand your point I have to disagree with you on your argumentation. In FH2 we don't have the possibility to disable certain parts of a tank, so a tank will just turn around and fire back if you shot him into the side (tracks for example). In those situations - and they occure quiet often ingame - a deserved advantage (flanking, ambush) turns into a disadvantage. In ArmA II/Iron Front or RO I know how to disable a tank piece by piece. This isn't possibile in FH2, so a disabled tank should clearly be a killed tank. You won't be able to see such features in FH2 as explained in this video  :'(:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJ6Qgj7Tdc

(the interesting and more technical part starts at around 5 minutes)

@Zoo: for me this discussion has nothing to do with bias or not. Weapons should get the caracteristics they deserve. Your mentioned StuG III G is a good example how imbalanced some vehicles are. You can shot the StuG from very steap angles and deal valauable damage. Two days ago I stood five metres away with a my StuG and shoot a Firefly from around 60 degree into it's side. And the damn thing was just burning.

A Sherman 76 can 1S1K a StuG (no matter III or IV) from a certain range from the front, not to mention the Firefly - and I am fine with it. But why am I not able to do the same with the StuG in return though it should. And I am not talking about shots from the side either. It is the same problem I had yesterday with Unique, me driving the Firefly and him driving the Panther. I see and hit him earlier and shot him from 30-40 metre away into the shot trap taking him half the HP. Ofcourse he returned fire and killed me. And all these things happen on ranges that aren't even far. It is not a question of certain bias, but more a question of the different capabilities of the weapon systems.
« Last Edit: 24-08-2012, 14:08:20 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 24-08-2012, 14:08:00 »
To put it simple: You don´t control the situation any longer. Most of the time it comes down to luck.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 24-08-2012, 14:08:53 »
Butcher i´m with. At the moment i´m collecting screenshots from bounced of shots. Maybe some examples here.

First picture shows me sneaking to the side of Sherman 76mm with a Panzer IV. Managed to shot him in his side armor with an excellent angle. About 80 degrees, which will not be seen on the picture, because he drove a few meters back. Imagine the Sherman stood a few meters further. Shooting range about 10-20m and it was no kill. What the hell? It is a fucking Sherman. You can see the hole on his hull. No tool you can hit there. Nothing.

Second picture is not that clear. There was a WASP carrier in front of me. 3-5 meters. You can see his silhouette, but the minimap may show this better. Ridicolous range. I hit the vehicle and got no kill, needed a second shot for 1cm of steel.

Third picture shows me in a Panther. Needed two shots for that Sherman in front of me. Excellent angle, excellent range, but the "mighty" gun of the Panther was not able to take down that ordinary 76mm Sherman with 1 hit. This is really anoying.

I have no problems with weaker guns to lenghtens tank battles. But the outcome is no longer reliable, because you have serious problems to predict if a shot with a german tank will deal damage (and enough damage) or not.

Yes, Butcher. This is really anoying.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 24-08-2012, 14:08:04 »
Because the attachments are too big, i will post it here.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 24-08-2012, 14:08:43 »
Is there any possibility to get more than 1 picture in a post?