Author Topic: Inefficiency of the 75mm/L48  (Read 26708 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Inefficiency of the 75mm/L48
« Reply #240 on: 09-08-2012, 20:08:33 »
Someone need to tell me what is tactical in having the horizon blocked by fog until suddenly seeing a tank getting out of it and 1s1k you no matter what.  With 2.45, Sherman or Cromwell have a good chance to survive against Pz4 and Marder in this kind of encounter, but it was not the case in previous releases.  Don't wonder why the loudest complaints on the new system come from players generally playing axis. 

When 2.4 was released, there was no big fuzz about the tanking system. Players liked it in general, atleast that's my impression. It had some problems but nothing dramatic that would produce a thread like this one. You can call it fanatic or however you want it sound like, but I think some statements in this threat should give you an idea, how the playing playerbase thinks about the new more on "interaction" based system.

@5hitm4k3r
I'm playing the game and actually LOVE the new tanking system.  I would play even more if I lived in Europe.
You had a good chance to survive a shot to the front of your Sherman in 2.4 too. But the side and rear armor of the Sherman is too strong in many cases atm. Same as the KT can stand two shots of the M36 to it's side. Same as the PaK 40 will never kill a Sherman to the front at any range. Is it really that hard to understand? Nobody is asking for a system that describes your situation.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 09-08-2012, 21:08:50 »
Someone need to tell me what is tactical in having the horizon blocked by fog until suddenly seeing a tank getting out of it and 1s1k you no matter what.  With 2.45, Sherman or Cromwell have a good chance to survive against Pz4 and Marder in this kind of encounter, but it was not the case in previous releases.  Don't wonder why the loudest complaints on the new system come from players generally playing axis. 

When 2.4 was released, there was no big fuzz about the tanking system. Players liked it in general, atleast that's my impression. It had some problems but nothing dramatic that would produce a thread like this one. You can call it fanatic or however you want it sound like, but I think some statements in this threat should give you an idea, how the playing playerbase thinks about the new more on "interaction" based system.

@5hitm4k3r
I'm playing the game and actually LOVE the new tanking system.  I would play even more if I lived in Europe.
You had a good chance to survive a shot to the front of your Sherman in 2.4 too. But the side and rear armor of the Sherman is too strong in many cases atm. Same as the KT can stand two shots of the M36 to it's side. Same as the PaK 40 will never kill a Sherman to the front at any range. Is it really that hard to understand? Nobody is asking for a system that describes your situation.

A lot of players play this mod for historical accuracy ( I know othere is a billion things that are "unrealistic", but is is better than most ww2 games out there), and it reminds them too much of BF2 or BF3 where it takes tons of shots to kill. Its annoying. Like this guy said, i heard next to no one complaining about tank combat before. Now we have a whole thread about it. I want to be vocal to get this changes back.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 10-08-2012, 10:08:42 »
What I've noticed that seems to be the trend these days is that when people get shot and they know they arent going to be able to send the final blow to the enemy, they bail.

Oh so many times I've had moments in which I get the first shot, the enemy shoots back and just before I am able to fire again, they bail their tank and run away like cowards. Now, that is the way of the game and I dont say they should die with their tanks like I think parachuteless pilots should die with their planes... but have people really lost their decency to fight until the end? They much rather cower and run than fight an honorable battle?

Bunch of cowards. I much rather stick to my tank until it goes skyhigh.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 10-08-2012, 12:08:05 »
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 10-08-2012, 12:08:50 »
And then he slapped a coward.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 10-08-2012, 18:08:53 »
Are you aiming for the score Flippy?

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 10-08-2012, 20:08:27 »
I don't like the new tanking system either and I can see that there are a lot of people complaining ingame as well.
Examples I can think of now:
I was in s Sherman 76mm and shot a PIV dead on the mantler from maybe 100 meters and he only started to smoke. He should have been killed easily.
I was in an M10 and shot a Panther clean to on the side armour from almost 90 degrees .75-1 grid away and he only started to burn. Nedless to say he finished me off easily before I had time to reload. That should have been a clear kill for me.

Also, is the Hetzer's front armour not buffed to its correct values yet? I got 1s1k by a Sherman 75mm frontally from fog distance and I had full health.  ???

Offline KnowYourEnemy123

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 10-08-2012, 21:08:34 »

2.45 is bad because now a Firefly or Panther can't properly kill an opponent. Now they are without their authentic capability of making a kill when and how it should be. A direct hit on the side armour at nearly 90 degree angle of impact and doesn't kill makes the trade-off between "fun tanking" and "overdone 1s1k" becomes not worth it.

I was in M4A3 today and got 1-shot by panther when it hit my front, twice in the same round. I shot it's side 2 times and it didn't die.
« Last Edit: 11-08-2012, 02:08:59 by KnowYourEnemy123 »

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 10-08-2012, 23:08:30 »
Got one-shot by a panther as well today, with a firefly with my front to the enemy tank. I have no problems with the current tanking system. It feels alright to me.

Offline Horstpetersens

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 11-08-2012, 19:08:16 »
Got one-shot by a panther as well today, with a firefly with my front to the enemy tank. I have no problems with the current tanking system. It feels alright to me.
you don't say anything about the circumstances

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 12-08-2012, 01:08:53 »
So, what you wanna know ? Panther was like 100 meters away from me, that's midrange I'd say. I shot him once before he shot me with a hit to the tracks, but the damage was not enough to kill him. I stood perfectly with the front towards him and he took the shot and my tank went down. There was no way he could have hit my side armor, and I am pretty sure he aimed right for the center of the tank. Maybe on the spot between hull and turret. It was on Villers-Bocage, guess it was Panther Ausf. G if that matters. No clue if that's the circumstances you wanted to hear...
« Last Edit: 12-08-2012, 01:08:52 by Surfbird »

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 13-08-2012, 19:08:08 »
So, what you wanna know ? Panther was like 100 meters away from me, that's midrange I'd say. I shot him once before he shot me with a hit to the tracks, but the damage was not enough to kill him. I stood perfectly with the front towards him and he took the shot and my tank went down. There was no way he could have hit my side armor, and I am pretty sure he aimed right for the center of the tank. Maybe on the spot between hull and turret. It was on Villers-Bocage, guess it was Panther Ausf. G if that matters. No clue if that's the circumstances you wanted to hear...
In 2.45, Firefly can't one shot PantherG by hitting the mantlet, not in any range, not in any angle. And if no angle mod bug occurs, the Panther could one shot Firefly frontally within 100 meters.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 13-08-2012, 22:08:40 »
Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
« Reply #253 on: 18-08-2012, 09:08:57 »
Seriously, as a person who loves to play as tanker and anti tanker, do not kill the game in the name of "balancing".

In real life there is no balance. Like Soviets dominated Army Group Centre on Bagration with total superiority, you just need to accept the fact that German equipment always dominated Allied equipments.(Ground wise) That's the thing I loved in FH1. That's why I still play it. Everything is accurate. Infantry was shitting their pants when they see Tiger/Panther/KT headed their way. You managed to overcome this by putting more tanks to Allied side in the last mod. But now, we see tanks and equipment are getting changed and changed with the intention of making the game friendly to Allied forces...

Tiger has a gun which penetrates Shermans armour over 2500mt+, Sherman needs to be in proximity of 50 meters to do that. But Tiger is now a paper made tank which will go down in 10 seconds. Let alone the fear it would create over opposing team.

Panther has about the same penetration, we yet to see it in the mod. Mostly a 1 shot tank now. No different than a PZ4 in FH1. You don't feel you're driving a solid tank when you're in it. Always wondering who will one shot kill you now. About the post above, Panther always a superior to the Firefly. In FH1, you need to flank it to get kill. Frontal assault was deadly. The argument you made about tanking is not OK. Panther always 1 shot kills Firefly. Not the mention 100mt away. :D It's just a Sherman fitted with 17pdr.

I'm talking about frontal kills. Not the side ones. Still, you can't get a kill over a distance with these tanks. I'm not even talking about Pz4 and Stug. These two tanks are like Stuart's now. After this nerfing, we still see much more Allied tanks on maps against German tanks.

Pzshreck designed to blow up tanks with its huge projectile. There are tiny Allied tanks who could survive a shot from this beast.

I'm just laughing about 75mm PAK guns being helpless against Shermans. Again, which mod are we playing?

Sorry, this may come as a little harsh, but I'm playing this mod for 8 years now, loved your every work, your awesome work on FH2, the way how you changed BF2 to this beautiful game, but you need to stop changing the core element of this game. This is one of the reasons we lose our player base every day.
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline Guzkovek

• Guzzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 18-08-2012, 10:08:04 »
@up. I luv ya. Will u marry me? I agree with you and thats why I'm not playing in this mod atm. This isn't opinion of few ppl as someone might think. There's a large group of old, good players who hate this new sys and because of it they just stopped playing in this mod. That's sad, very sad.