Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 236917 times)

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #345 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:14 »
Considering it's all fictional anyway (just who the hell is the MEC supposed to be?), why not set it in North Korea? Or how about a war between Europe and the 'States? South America? NZ? Iceland? Zimbabwe?

haha, Iceland.. I like that.. could have a relevant backstory as well where Iceland refuses to pay Icesave, and Holland and England invades. However would probably feature only 1 unbalanced map with angry Icelanders armed with knifes and hunting rifles on one side, and England and Holland with tanks and armed infantry and all, on the other. ;D
« Last Edit: 24-02-2011, 13:02:06 by FatJoe »

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:42 »
You don't like the Middle East scenery or the usage of terrorism as a background. The first I can agree on, although Africa maps are still among my favourite.
The second part is just a reason for the fighting and it's still hot and topical and all the cool kids digg it  ;)

What I would like to see a Cold war gone hot scenario which weaponry from the seventies and eighties, guys wearing faux pas moustaches, Duran Duran playing in the background and the ability to end one round with a frigging nuke!
Have you played World in Conflict?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfx7aVA7Pc8
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:18 »
WoC is a great game! :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
« Reply #348 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:56 »
If that trailer is REALLY from BF3 I just MIGHT have to upgrade my proccessor. Graphics card will hold together for the next 1 year. (currently running a 2.2GB Pentium E5400 DualC and GTS 250 PALIT-NVidia base)

Offline AlexS66

• A fine English gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 24-02-2011, 13:02:09 »
Its awfully sad, but im gonna have to run this on my xbox. i simply do not have the capability to run this on my pc

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 24-02-2011, 14:02:06 »
... (currently running a 2.2GB Pentium E5400 DualC and GTS 250 PALIT-NVidia base)

What is a 2.2GB Pentium E5400 DualC?  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #351 on: 24-02-2011, 14:02:44 »
... (currently running a 2.2GB Pentium E5400 DualC and GTS 250 PALIT-NVidia base)

What is a 2.2GB Pentium E5400 DualC?  ;D

it means it's from GreatBritain..

I have to agree with modern desert warfare. I'd love to see battles from elsewhere in the world, in a more grand scale like WWII. I really liked how in BF1942 you played as American vs German, British vs German, American vs Japanese, Soviet vs German. I liked how you fought in Europe, North Africa, Russia & The Pacific. The variety was right there in the first release. In BF2 this was reduced to America vs MEC and America vs China. and you fought in Middle east and China.

I hope, but don't expect, BF3 to give me more of that BF1942 variety. But I'm looking forward to getting more information, and a confirmation of other maps, and I'm also already looking forward to playing BF3. It at least looks good.
« Last Edit: 24-02-2011, 15:02:18 by FatJoe »

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 24-02-2011, 15:02:59 »

# Sound: DICE is working with a revised system for the sound that enables players to detect from where a vehicle or enemy soldier is coming. Every object (aka tank, helicopter) has up to 80 soundchannels with different sounds from different angles.
My X-Fi soundcard and 5.1 speaker setup do that already... :P

Rumor has it that with this game you XI-Fi soundcard will be picking it's nose while you play BF3.

You don't like the Middle East scenery or the usage of terrorism as a background. The first I can agree on, although Africa maps are still among my favourite.
The second part is just a reason for the fighting and it's still hot and topical and all the cool kids digg it  ;)

What I would like to see a Cold war gone hot scenario which weaponry from the seventies and eighties, guys wearing faux pas moustaches, Duran Duran playing in the background and the ability to end one round with a frigging nuke!
Have you played World in Conflict?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfx7aVA7Pc8

Hehe nice video. Yep I liked WiC. Now we need a FPS in those settings with shiny graphics and moustaches.
« Last Edit: 24-02-2011, 15:02:55 by NTH »

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #353 on: 24-02-2011, 16:02:53 »
Ok, quick OT: I like the Way Joe has put "Great" in front of Britain, to me that's an archaic empire word that has long since passed.  In reality it should be "Nerf Britain", "WTF Britain" or even "SNAFU Britain".  In fact, I'd go with the last one...

BACK OT:
Yeah like Alex mentions, I am not/will not be upgrading to a Win7 for a game, I did this for BF2, so I'll be a console bitch.  Yay, 8 vs 8... sigh.

RE: Fighting in the middle east - I don't mind the desert, or Africa, it lends itself to tank/plane warfare suberbly.  It's the psychology behind it.  Modern warfare games are just done to death right now.  I can even speak some arabic because the vocal saturation is now so deep I can go into my local newspaper shop and tell them I am about to throw a grenade, or there is an enemy spy plane above.

However, there isn't really anything I'd like to see, so my arguement falls short, - I want WW2, or a game that encompasses all War, like you start in the middle ages with mele weapons and then some maps are musket and cannon like the crimea, then WW1, WW2, korea, vietnam, and perhaps I'll let a bit of modern warfare in.  That game would be super epic.  Make it so.

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 24-02-2011, 17:02:45 »
battlefield 2 was great. No doubt

but then i discoverd FH2.

Heh I still love vanilla as well. Might have to book a few days of work when bf3 comes out, then spend the next few years playing the hell out of it :p

Just let me take this as proof of my statement: You came most likely to FH2 from BF2. As FH2 is a mod based on BF2 and its gameplay principles. But there is a fundamental difference between the early titles of the Battlefield series and the later titles. And BF2 marks the breaking point that exchanged the playerbase for a mod like FH2. A change of generation. FH2 is only by name the successor of FH1, but the playerbase had to be rebuild almost from scratch.

Now, I'm one of those waiting for the return of the old Battlefield franchise, though that is probably in vein.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #355 on: 24-02-2011, 17:02:59 »
Considering it's all fictional anyway (just who the hell is the MEC supposed to be?), why not set it in North Korea? Or how about a war between Europe and the 'States? South America? NZ? Iceland? Zimbabwe?

haha, Iceland.. I like that.. could have a relevant backstory as well where Iceland refuses to pay Icesave, and Holland and England invades. However would probably feature only 1 unbalanced map with angry Icelanders armed with knifes and hunting rifles on one side, and England and Holland with tanks and armed infantry and all, on the other. ;D

Mmmmm. I like that. Let's see if your president is still so stubborn when a tank blasts his house.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 24-02-2011, 17:02:04 »
Re the various environments, without inventing a scenario where the EU decides to collect its loan payments from Greece in the form of territory (much as it would amuse EU (tax)p(l)ayers), there's plenty of other places besides Middle East & Afghanistan where the excrement could hit the ventilator with only a little imagination:
  • North Korea. Durp.
  • Kuril Islands. Suppose the Russia and Japan decide big words are not big enough.
  • Burma. Suppose a foreign intervention (China might join teh party on Burmese side if push came to shove), or instead, clandestine SF support to anti-junta guerillas.
  • Colombia. Between the drug cartels, FARC, and unauthorized vigilante groups, there's potential for conflict with either Venezuela or Ecuador. Suppose US involvement in any case, potentially China-Venezuela alliance.
  • Belarus. Lukashenka starts massacring protesters, EU intervenes, Russia joins the party.
  • Zimbabwe (darn, already mentioned). Assume South Africa and/or African Union decide to oust Mugabe before the instability spreads to neighbouring countries, leading into an even more frakked-up situation.
  • Kashmir. Well, there has been a low-intensity conflict going on there for decades.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 24-02-2011, 17:02:04 »
  • North Korea. Durp.
  • Kuril Islands. Suppose the Russia and Japan decide big words are not big enough.
  • Burma. Suppose a foreign intervention (China might join teh party on Burmese side if push came to shove), or instead, clandestine SF support to anti-junta guerillas.
  • Colombia. Between the drug cartels, FARC, and unauthorized vigilante groups, there's potential for conflict with either Venezuela or Ecuador. Suppose US involvement in any case, potentially China-Venezuela alliance.
  • Belarus. Lukashenka starts massacring protesters, EU intervenes, Russia joins the party.
  • Zimbabwe (darn, already mentioned). Assume South Africa and/or African Union decide to oust Mugabe before the instability spreads to neighbouring countries, leading into an even more frakked-up situation.
  • Kashmir. Well, there has been a low-intensity conflict going on there for decades.

What? No U.S. forces? Screw you!

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 24-02-2011, 22:02:50 »
Some news.

With the preorder you get this:

Back to karkand, wake island, gulf of oman and sharqi peninsula.

Disgusting wake really, Im tired of that stupid map. Its silly that even today people want it back and it was a ww2 battle. Today is just a puny piece of land.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 24-02-2011, 22:02:51 »
Because it's still one of the best Battlefield maps ever.

Hmm, actually I want Liberation of Caen for BF3!
Let mortal heroes sing your fame