Author Topic: What about a whistle ?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
What about a whistle ?
« on: 04-03-2010, 12:03:07 »
I've been watching Once upon a time in the West yesterday night and playing FH2 this morning and I thought why not ? It would be fun to be able to make some sound to scare the ennemy, wouldn't it ?  ;)
« Last Edit: 04-03-2010, 12:03:58 by Spitfire »

Offline Fleischer.Grn

• View Profile
Re: What about a whistle ?
« Reply #1 on: 04-03-2010, 12:03:37 »
You already have the charge shouts ect i think thats enough, also sergio leone went on record too, saying he liked PR more then FH.
« Last Edit: 04-03-2010, 13:03:37 by Fleischer.Grn »
I can pack my own freaking lunch!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-03-2010, 12:03:28 »
I would say it will be nice, but not for the reason you give

Personally, I'd love for there to be:
A bugle
A whistle
A pair of backpipes
Related stuff

The reason, as an easter-eggs... But perhaps not neccesarily at some obscure corner of the map, but hidden in the main base or in plain sight.

Why,
I dunno, a special captain or non-captain kit, depending on which that the captain can use to rally the troops... Whenever, or if ever the Japanese get in, their Katana will be be a in the same category.. expect it might be a limited kit for squad captain or soemthing like that.. While the katana at 0 acts like a knife, it at another position is used to call for a banzai charge, same for the whistle, the bugle etc

Now I could add some architecture that gives reason for this being anything more than cosmetic.. and I will, along with some game architectures the devs might want to include to make the game play more WW2 i.e no sneak-sneak, more team-team... but some other time

@ Fleischer.Grn
He must have been referring to the one on Nintendo... We've come a long way since then. Tell em to sue Rodriguez and Tarantino for stealing his style when you see em

« Last Edit: 04-03-2010, 12:03:20 by djinn »

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-03-2010, 13:03:52 »
Sorry it wasn't clear, I was thinking two things. It would scare the ennemy (tanks and squads, useful sometimes) AND it would make him turn around. I don't like to shoot backs, that's the main reason.

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-03-2010, 13:03:33 »
I LOVE to shoot people in the back! It is the best.  ;D
I don't think a whistle is the right thing for FH2. The "charge-scream" is good though.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-03-2010, 13:03:09 »
reminds me of the cricket, will it ever be used? :)
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-03-2010, 14:03:11 »
In BF1918 there is whistle for NCO kit and it makes sense there. Don't know if it was widely in use during WWII.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-03-2010, 14:03:54 »
reminds me of the cricket, will it ever be used? :)
maybe ;)
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-03-2010, 20:03:14 »
My wife plays bagpipes, I can provide original sound...

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-03-2010, 20:03:03 »
Whenever, or if ever the Japanese get in, their Katana will be be a in the same category.. expect it might be a limited kit for squad captain or soemthing like that.

All japanese NCOs were issued mass produced katanas :P

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-03-2010, 22:03:09 »
er....yes, that's what I said 'Limited kit for NCOs = Limited kit for squad captains?'

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-03-2010, 22:03:00 »
er....yes, that's what I said 'Limited kit for NCOs = Limited kit for squad captains?'
Sergeants NCO's captains, whatever ::)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-03-2010, 22:03:13 »
I can see it now--teams of 2 men will go behind enemy lines, one blowing the whistle to scare the shit out of the guy that the other teammember bayonets.  that would be epic.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-03-2010, 23:03:59 »
SO yes, basically...

Japanese NCOs all get the selectable role/kit-limited katana alongside whatever primary weapon they have...  Another weapon in their kit lets them shout for a charge with an animation or them raising the katana in a 'foward men' position

I think, specific to the Japanese, all weapon kits should have one position which is either the byonnet or katana or rifle (For those with neither blade) where they shout a long 'banzai'... specific to a banzai charge ofcourse (and maybe Russians should have this feature too since they also used mass charges)

Then you get the whistle for other nations where it is pertinent, for the NCO limited kit which acts similar to the banzai call... to call for a mass charge and to 'scare the hell out of the enemy' - Its basically a tactical weapon

Bugle is similar, specific to British and early map American's I can imagine... Doesn't need to be a pickup kit come to think of it, all NCOs can get it.. thanks Mudra, for indirectly helping me put my thoughts together :-)

bagpipes on the otherhand are not NCO specific, but a pickup kit in some maps where it was made use of in real life... I'm sure its not just the movies - The use of such sound instruments is like the horn for cars... the more you press it, the more the music (For bagpipes) or sound plays...

now the difference between this 'charge' and the one in the comm-options is that the latter is for calling people to move it on, this one is specific to calling for a charge (And the shout can go on for some 10 full seconds.. it should last to make the screaming charge that more scary), something specific to NCOs, not everybody. If ever the devs get to recording their own voice overs (I really hope they would), the difference should be clear in that the comm-option 'lets go' is going to be more like 'let's go, let's go, lets' go' or 'hussle up', while that for the NCO kit is more like 'aaaagh!' or 'Hazaaar!', 'C'mon lads, For god and countreeEEi!',  'Banzai!' OR the 'waaaah!' straight out of Enemy at the gates...

We have the tools, but I think its time we begun to have the feel of WW2... A good 70years ago - Was was something like a cross-cut between us now and the wars of the Victorian era and this should be reflected in gameplay if possible

Now to make this even more effective, there needs to be a way of making it that large groups move together as would have been really the case rather than the solo sneakers we have now - But this is an argument for another time.. And I need to put my thought together on that one.
« Last Edit: 04-03-2010, 23:03:43 by djinn »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-03-2010, 23:03:43 »
Japanesse kits around 1942 (if I would do them)

Scout: Arisaka T38, Binocs etc
Assault Mortar: T44 carbine, "Knee Mortar"
Rifleman: Arisaka T38, Riflenades, nades etc
Machine Gunner: T96
Engineer: T44 Carbine, mines
AT: T44 Carbine, turtle mine
Officer: Nambu pistol, sword, binocs etc.