Author Topic: Extended Canadian battlefield ?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Ahoskova

• View Profile
Extended Canadian battlefield ?
« on: 22-05-2009, 07:05:47 »
Hi all,
I remember when playing FH for battlefield 1942 a map called Liberation of Caen featuring canadians troops. I havn't played FH2 so I don't how it is but with FH I was happy to find a mod that feature a bit of the canadian war effort. That said I would like to make suggestions to extend a bit the canadian experience.

First I would suggest the Battle of Hong Kong (pacific theater)
Over 1000 canadian where defending the island and half of them where killed.

http://www.wwii.ca/index.php?page=Page&action=showpage&id=42

Second a battle in Sicilly/Italy
Canadian forces fought in a lots of battle there.

http://wwii.ca/page-24-italian-campaign.html

Third the Juno beach landing (western theater)
Despite heavy losses canadians forces where the only ones to acheive all there goals that day and even more (no offence to any other army)

“At the end of the day, its forward elements stood deeper into France than those of any other division. The opposition the Canadians faced was stronger than that of any other beach save Omaha. That was an accomplishment in which the whole nation could take considerable pride.” - John Keegan, British historian.

http://wwii.ca/index.php?page=Page&action=showpage&id=14

Fourth the liberation of the netherlands

http://wwii.ca/page-52-the-netherlands.html

And finnaly five a sea battle where canadian navy would have to protect a supply convoy agaisnt u-boat and german planes

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Canadian battlefield ?
« Reply #1 on: 22-05-2009, 07:05:55 »

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-05-2009, 09:05:35 »
Today must be "Bring a Newbie to the FH Forums" Day.

So far, you, Asohkova, seem to be the most promising new addition to our community.  You seem to know about WW2, you used a seemingly reliable source and you show genuine interest in the mod.

I'll address all your points individually, but first I'd like to welcome you to the forums.  So, umm, Welcome.

Okay, down to business.  First and foremost, the current Forgotten Hope release (2.15) only concentrates on the North African Campaign with a bit of the Mediterranean Theater of Operations thrown in to keep our teeth from tasting like sand ALL the time. 

The next release (2.2) will feature the Allied Invasion of Normandy.  As TS4Ever has posted, the Developers have already shown us the Canadian Player Models that will be included in 2.2.  As of right now, I don't think there is an officially released map that features the Canadian Army, yet.  Of course the Devs wouldn't go through all the trouble of making the player models if they didn't plan to use them, so just be patient. 

Of the five scenarios you posted, the one most likely to see fruition first is the Juno Beach Landing.  The Battle of Hong Kong (and the rest of the Pacific Theater) is a long way off into the future, so we might not be seeing that one for a while.  The Italian Campaign and the Later Western Front (such as the Liberation of the Netherlands) are likely to come about sooner, but probably not in the next patch. 

The sea battle you suggested is interesting, but there's a big hitch: the BattleField 2 Engine does not like large, mobile naval vessels.  The FH2 Devs are trying to find a way around this, but I don't think its a big priority right now (the main priority is finishing, testing, and releasing the 2.2 Normandy Patch as soon as possible, I believe).

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and I hope you stick around.  Have a look though the forums, main site, and maybe even the wiki.  It's a shame that you haven't played FH2 yet, I hope you try it out soon.  Even without the Canadians (yet), it's still a great game.  Plus, after playing in the desert, you'll be looking forward to Normandy even more.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-05-2009, 12:05:21 »
BTW: The FH1 Caen map is flawed (in my eyes). They have the regular Omega-shaped helmet. The normal paratrooper helmet looks like this:
although, I can't really find any information about canadian paratroopers in WWII. If i'm wrong, then let's just leave it at that.

Biiviz

« Reply #4 on: 22-05-2009, 12:05:29 »
I hope to see the Canadians in the mod at some point.

Your mother was a beaver!

Offline Ahoskova

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-05-2009, 14:05:22 »
So far, you, Asohkova, seem to be the most promising new addition to our community.  You seem to know about WW2, you used a seemingly reliable source and you show genuine interest in the mod.

Thank you for the kind words but I know from experience that if you want people to take you seriously and have interest in what you have to say a reliable source is a must have. Beside, knowing about WW2 is at my eyes normal; I mean you can't turn your back on the pass and say you have nothing to do with it.

Okay, down to business.  First and foremost, the current Forgotten Hope release (2.15) only concentrates on the North African Campaign with a bit of the Mediterranean Theater of Operations thrown in to keep our teeth from tasting like sand ALL the time.

Nothing like an endless line of tanks in the sand to keep the heart pumping !

The next release (2.2) will feature the Allied Invasion of Normandy.  As TS4Ever has posted, the Developers have already shown us the Canadian Player Models that will be included in 2.2.  As of right now, I don't think there is an officially released map that features the Canadian Army, yet.  Of course the Devs wouldn't go through all the trouble of making the player models if they didn't plan to use them, so just be patient.

Exellent looking forward to this !

The sea battle you suggested is interesting, but there's a big hitch: the BattleField 2 Engine does not like large, mobile naval vessels.  The FH2 Devs are trying to find a way around this, but I don't think its a big priority right now (the main priority is finishing, testing, and releasing the 2.2 Normandy Patch as soon as possible, I believe).

Well that's sad to hear but I'm confident. It's a thing I really enjoyed, having sea fights in vanilla bf1942 and former FH. Even though important sea battles mostly taking place in the pacific theater there are some memorable battles throught the Atlantic. And supply convoy where an important role played by Canada during the war supplying UK (in the early/middle of the war), part of the western front (late) and last but far from least supplying of the russian front.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and I hope you stick around.  Have a look though the forums, main site, and maybe even the wiki.  It's a shame that you haven't played FH2 yet, I hope you try it out soon.  Even without the Canadians (yet), it's still a great game.  Plus, after playing in the desert, you'll be looking forward to Normandy even more.

Well I had to make choices and I don't have enough space on my hard drive right now. But yes I'll try it in the near future.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-05-2009, 15:05:33 »
I like this new guy. :) Welcome around.

azreal

« Reply #7 on: 22-05-2009, 20:05:20 »
I like this new guy. :) Welcome around.

Indeed. So do I...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-05-2009, 20:05:28 »
If you read this, SeanRamy, that's how you make a suggestion.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22-05-2009, 20:05:22 »
Indeed, this guy is good.  And that's high praise from me ;)

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #10 on: 23-05-2009, 03:05:46 »
Yes we will see the canadians for sure. ;D

By the way why dont you install fh2 and play for team Canada in an upcuming tourney(i assume you are canadian)
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=711.45

Offline Ahoskova

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-05-2009, 03:05:07 »
Yes we will see the canadians for sure.

By the way why dont you install fh2 and play for team Canada in an upcuming tourney(i assume you are canadian)
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=711.45

Well I can see what I can do but I will need to make a cleanup in my computer before installing anything else. It's a real mess and I have a lots of projects going on plus real life, so I'm kinda short on time. I won't promise anything that I'm not sure to fulfil but I'll take some time to think on it.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #12 on: 01-06-2009, 00:06:48 »
In FHT you can play as a canadian in Italy theater, we just ended Sicily few weeks ago and it's now mainland.
CMP Gaming