Author Topic: The Minor Suggestions Thread  (Read 65692 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: The Minor Suggestions Thread
« Reply #510 on: 09-01-2018, 18:01:15 »
It's not that I'm hardcore in favour of keeping hit indicators, but I think they are part of the game, and not "something scifi", because if we want to remove anything close to being "something scifi", we have to remove the repair feature to begin with. Repairing cannons, or entire tanks, takes way longer than is represented ingame and you need an entIre crew for it, let alone that in certain cases you need other stuff too, like spare parts, or oil, or a maintenance station or whatnot.
Removing a HUD element is far from removing a game mechanism but I'm all for it when it comes to repairing tanks. Only static cannons should be reparaible if you ask me, and only because all the mobile assets can respawn. Let's not get too hardcore, but repairing tanks, especially on move, is super silly and brakes the gameplay on maps like Ramelle where certain people as a tactic take the Tiger with their squad of wrench guys, who will sit on the deck for a whole round, repairing it and getting kill assist score for 45 minutes in return. Mobile assets should use BF1942's style repair pads in the main base if anything to avoid the sillyness on the battlefield.

So while I agree the hit indicator is not working as it could, at least it does something useful ingame, as it passes info to the player that he hit something and did some damage.
Passes info that kills the immersion and take out a lot of excitement from the vehicle and infantry combat. If you ever tried to play without the hit indicator you would know the feeling of uncertainty when you see your enemy going prone after your shot without knowing if he's wounded, suppressed or about to return fire and possibly kill you in a second... ;)
« Last Edit: 09-01-2018, 18:01:38 by jan_kurator »

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 09-01-2018, 19:01:29 »
Mobile assets should use BF1942's style repair pads in the main base if anything to avoid the sillyness on the battlefield.

I actually like that idea! Instead of allowing mobile assets, especially the heavy armour, to continue to attack without too much consequence, it forces a different decision to be made. Retreat from battle to the main base for repairs or to continue the attack, possibly be destroyed, and wait for the respawn.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 09-01-2018, 21:01:20 »
Mobile assets should use BF1942's style repair pads in the main base if anything to avoid the sillyness on the battlefield.
Although that's a neat idea, I think nobody will ever use the pads, because it will take the tank out of combat lnger than have it destroyed and respawn (and also less effort). Changing the spawntimes to counter that will change the game too much imo.

So while I agree the hit indicator is not working as it could, at least it does something useful ingame, as it passes info to the player that he hit something and did some damage.
Passes info that kills the immersion [/quote]Like I tried to show with my wrench example: the game is full of immersionkillers. If you want more immersion, you can play in immersion mode. If you think it's unfair, well: switch it off then.

Only solution to this I see is that the playerbase gets large enough to allow for a server with immersion mode enforced and a server without immersion mode enforced.

But while this is called the "Minor suggestion thread" we are now discussing fundamental changes to FH2, so maybe this should get it's own thread ;)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 09-01-2018, 23:01:26 »
If you want more immersion, you can play in immersion mode. If you think it's unfair, well: switch it off then.
Ironically, immersion mode doesn't switch the hit indicator off if I recal corretly, yet it switches off some important parts of the HUD :P

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 10-01-2018, 02:01:07 »
I play with immersion mode and I don't have hit indicators. Only for vehicles I think

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 11-01-2018, 19:01:32 »
What is the command to get rid of the HUD?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 11-01-2018, 20:01:29 »
In the Launcher, go to Options and untick everything under "Miscellaneous".

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 11-01-2018, 20:01:04 »
I'm on a Mac, and I'm playing FH2 through the Revive BF2 client (the launcher doesn't work on Mac, even with wine), so that's not an option. Any other suggestions?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 11-01-2018, 20:01:08 »
I don't think there is a working comamand for that, but you can enable the so called "Immersive mode" that hides most of the HUD by creating an empty txt file named "immersive-hud.txt" in your mods/fh2 directory. To turn it off, delete the file and restart your game.

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 11-01-2018, 21:01:58 »
Yeah, I've tried that, but it doesn't completely turn off the HUD.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 11-01-2018, 22:01:03 »
There's only chat and kill feed left, or is there anything else you need to hide?

[Tutorial] Hiding chat & kill messages in BF2/FH2

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 11-01-2018, 23:01:48 »
If you want to completely nuke the HUD, then open console and type "renderer.drawhud 0"

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 12-01-2018, 03:01:25 »
Oh, it's renderer.drawhud 0, not render.drawhud 0! That's what I was getting wrong, I was using the latter command. Thanks! :)

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 12-01-2018, 09:01:42 »
Please don´t remove hit indicators! I have a steady ping of 280 and I wouldn´t be able to hit absolutely nothing without hit indicators. It´s pretty damn hard to hit anything already so please don´t completely kill the game for guys with high ping like me.

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 12-01-2018, 15:01:59 »
The command just hides the HUD on the client-side for the person who typed it in, not for the entire server.