Author Topic: Gameplay changes in FH 2.5 explained  (Read 7984 times)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Gameplay changes in FH 2.5 explained
« on: 11-02-2016, 01:02:45 »
Hey, guys! I'll try to provide here details on some rather major gameplay changes mentioned in the "The Road to Forgotten Hope 2.5 Part 2" news update.

"Automatic fast bleed at the end of a round"
When one of the teams captures all flags on a map and the losing team has no place to spawn, the "fast bleed" is initiated. The players from the losing team who are still alive have up to 2 minutes to neutralize any flag or the round ends. This is a countermeasure against one lone player from the losing team hiding in a bush while the whole other team is searching for him for several minutes.

The "fast bleed" affects all maps and teams automatically, unless the team has an uncappable main base (obviously) or the map features vehicles players can spawn in (for example, the M3A1 halftracks on Cobra). Custom mappers do not need to activate anything on their maps for this to work.

Artillery
To retell my earlier "Hot spots" blog post, a brief info about the current spot is shown now to every artilleryman in the top-left corner of the screen, among kill messages:

Tip: if you want the info to be repeated (since it may be overwritten by kill messages pretty quickly), just press "NEXT TARGET"/"PREV TARGET" in the commo rose.

The problem of annoying switching "spot - no spot - spot" on the spotter re-spotting, reported by Outlaw and others in that blog post, is fixed too.

The mobile artillery pieces in which the driver seat is combined with the gunner one (the Wespe, the Bishop and the new Renault UE Wurfgerat you can find on Pegasus) got a three camera setup: the driver camera (like in other self-propelled guns, together with turning the head by Ctrl+mouselook), the dials camera (activated by X) and the top-down view on the current spot (activated by right mouse click). We noticed one problem during testing this setup: you can get lost between cameras sometimes. For example, you want to switch to the driver camera but get trapped in a dials - top-down loop. Randomly pressing X and right mouse button few times usually helped in this case, and we got used to it. Please treat this drawback as a price for using tricks the game engine is not accustomed to.

One more improvement affecting all mobile artillery pieces (not only the one mentioned right above) - smoother, less jerky movement of the dials and top-down spot view cameras.

Anti-personnel and anti-tank mines
Here comes the story of taking all the fun out of mines :)

Prior to FH 2.5 you could plant AP mines on any surface - terrain or static, even absolutely vertical walls, while AT mines only stuck to terrain, falling through statics. Now both classes of mines stick to terrain and statics, but bounce off anything more or less vertical (that is, slopped by more than 45 degrees from horizontal).

We also increased the time it takes to plant a mine, AP or AT, up to 3 seconds, from the previous 1 second. To be honest, that 1 second was a leftover from 2012 internal tests of stand mine deployment, slipping by mistake into releases.

And to further nerf AP mines specifically, we limited the number of AP mines to 1 in each kit.

Deployable mortars and machine guns
First of all, we would like to thank Damaso (old forum goers do remember Damaso, right?) for bringing deployable weapons to our attention and making them a high priority task for us :)

All the known exploits allowing to deploy more than one weapon from one kit - passing the kit to a teammate, dropping another weapon while the first one is occupied by another player, and so on, do not work any more. The "one kit, one mortar/MG" rule is strictly enforced by the game now.

The physics of the deploy marker (the thing you drop on "firing" the weapon to deploy it) has been reworked too. It does not bounce hundreds meters away now, better interacts with vehicles and does not let deploying through walls, among other things.

Another small improvement for deployables is that a marker now indicates the position where the dropped weapon will soon appear:
Spoiler

« Last Edit: 11-02-2016, 01:02:27 by gavrant »

Offline Hauggy

• View Profile
Re: Gameplay changes in FH 2.5 explained
« Reply #1 on: 11-02-2016, 01:02:31 »
Thank you very much for all of these details.
I got a question, does the artillery crew gets that info on top of the screen along with the spotter?
I wasn't sure where to look at to know if the spotter wanted smoke or not as I didn't even noticed these messages yet as an artilleryman. :)
I'm very glad for all the rest this will certainly improve gameplay!

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-02-2016, 01:02:59 »
I got a question, does the artillery crew gets that info on top of the screen along with the spotter?
I wasn't sure where to look at to know if the spotter wanted smoke or not as I didn't even noticed these messages yet as an artilleryman. :)
This a personal message, only the artilleryman gets it on switching to the spot. Neither the spotter nor the rest of the team see the message.
Yeah, the "kill chat" is definitely not the best place for such an info, it may disappear very quickly there, but this is the only place we can show a text mentioning a random player (the spotter), AFAIK.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-02-2016, 04:02:52 »
nerfing ap mines = damn you!   nerf the scout class hahahaha  big priority i bet!

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-02-2016, 08:02:47 »
Nerfing AP mines is okay. You can still deploy three at a time, so with an ammo box you can mine a place.

3s deploy time is also completely okay. No more running around corners and shitting mines. 3secs is a lot in CQC.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-02-2016, 17:02:57 »
So, can I still get full ammo if I leave the mortar I have deployed and then immediately redeploy it?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-02-2016, 18:02:42 »
Yes, you can.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-02-2016, 20:02:23 »
Another small improvement for deployables is that a marker now indicates the position where the dropped weapon will soon appear:

I can see this from the other team.  It makes it difficult for someone to sneak up and deploy their Lafette in a bush.  It should only be visible to the same team like the mine markers.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-02-2016, 00:02:45 »
This is a bug indeed, will be fixed ASAP.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-02-2016, 16:02:14 »
We also increased the time it takes to plant a mine, AP or AT, up to 3 seconds, from the previous 1 second. To be honest, that 1 second was a leftover from 2012 internal tests of stand mine deployment, slipping by mistake into releases.

And to further nerf AP mines specifically, we limited the number of AP mines to 1 in each kit.

Hallelujah

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-02-2016, 22:02:18 »
I like the majority of the changes made.  I do have a question about the mines.  Would it be possible to create a pick up kit with more mines, but exclude the binoculars and the smoke?  My thinking is that the scout kit gets one so that guy can defend himself.  The pickup kit would represent a group of soldiers deployed to booby trap and defend a certain area.  The kit would start with 3 mines, rifle (or maybe SMG), bayonet/knife and med kit.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-02-2016, 07:02:47 »
but then the nade spamming sub machine gunners would complain about too many mines :)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13-02-2016, 09:02:16 »
You can still deploy three active mines at the same time with your scout kit. Just rearm at ammo box.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #13 on: 13-02-2016, 15:02:05 »
Damaso did something good? :P

JK

Wow devs!!!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-09-2017, 00:09:33 »
So, can I still get full ammo if I leave the mortar I have deployed and then immediately redeploy it?
Wait, doesnt this destroy realism,teamwork and usefullness of ammo kit or truck?

I would be hapier if next patch  is only about improving teamwork, getting mumble, proper repair,medic,ammo points and proper commander THAN new maps and vehicles. Believe  me.

Edit: sry for getting old thread up again :P
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear