Author Topic: Wall street occupied...  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Wall street occupied...
« on: 06-10-2011, 00:10:04 »
Somehow I consider it worth mentioning that wall street was occupied. I mean, it is not just some country, but the United States.

I got the impression that the american dream is over once and forever for many people in the U.S. And as they occupy wall street as some sort of protest, they are being treated more harshly by the police than Glen Beck and his rally to restore sanity ever could have been mocked.

Of course, media pulls explanations out of the hat now. Stating that the idea of change given by Obama led to the arabic spring, which is now the motivator for the protests back in the U.S. However, I got the impression that this will grow larger than it is right now.

The financial system gets the bailout after having gambled, but the common people get not. Not in the U.S., not in greece or wherever. And I honestly don't know any proper reason, how this can justified in front of the common people.

And then there is pages on the web, ever growing, telling about the whole misery of people:

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com

Thoughts?

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
Re: Wall street occupied...
« Reply #1 on: 06-10-2011, 02:10:55 »
This summed it up best:

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/letter-new-york-city-protestors#.ToyIHx2tdgE.twitter

These protesters don't have any demands, plan or complex organization. Until they get these things, they won't accomplish anything.
« Last Edit: 06-10-2011, 02:10:06 by [WDW]Megaraptor »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-10-2011, 02:10:10 »
Yeah I am also not clear on the point they are making... in the arab spring at least you had the sense that hte people acted out of real desperation. Then again, maybe it is more prudent to start protesting before the situation gets desperate? ;)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-10-2011, 03:10:18 »
Why so many Americans I know take anti-depressants? It seems that it is not just Hollywood thing, it is real! OMG First world problems ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15187257

The problem with US is: they are proud people, but blinded and unrealistic. When their bond-rating is being downgraded, they protested. What? You've been like 3 days from imminent bankruptcy and you want to keep your bullshit AAA rating? That is the commie propaganda video in real life: reckless bankers keep lending money to bad creditors and even "scamming" them to do it excessively on the ground that the bad creditor has "good" debt rating.

I think we really need to create a brand new independent international currency as the new reserve currency and abandon US dollar for good. No one ever said that being number one entitles you to all the douchebaggery excuses in international economy.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-10-2011, 03:10:57 »
You know, now that I thought about it some more, that conservative writer is at the same time very smart and very short sighted. As conservatives tend to do, he knows that above all humans want one thing: Living every day like their last, meaning that every day is the same. Or in other words: stability. They want to know that their dollars buy them the same amount of bread and shelter tomorrow than they do today.
So he assumes the position of the middle class, who want to go about their business and face the challenges of adult life without meddling hippies and idealists, who are apparently hell bent on causing instability for no reason.
The author probably has an easy time assuming that point of view. He already is someone, maybe has a family and a steady job. He has a status quo worth protecting.
What he fails to see is that the protesters want the exact same thing as the middle class they want to destroy in his opinion, they only come from a different position. They are at the beginning of their lifes, they want to make something out of themselves, start careers of their own and learn to survive in this world. But just like the author they want stability: Knowing that their college degrees they worked for are worth something in the economy, that they are not being exploited and that they can achieve the same standard of living as their parents. Much of it might be naivity or misplaced idealism, but it is not as stupid as that commentator makes it out to be.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-10-2011, 03:10:47 »
To be perfectly honest, most of their art history and women's studies degrees ARE utterly worthless.  Well over half of the History section of UCI was art history and chicano studies....

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-10-2011, 03:10:58 »
To be perfectly honest, most of their art history and women's studies degrees ARE utterly worthless.  Well over half of the History section of UCI was art history and chicano studies....

Well a few people might study something like that, sure, but generally speaking you expect your degree to be useful.

edit: LOOOL read up on US universities. Yeah ok... I thought it was like over here: You want to become an engineer so you study engineering. You want to become a doctor so you study medicine (for like 10 years or something) You want to become a history teacher so you study history + something else + paedagogics. But just studying some bs for the hell of it is ill-advised, obviously lol.
« Last Edit: 06-10-2011, 03:10:54 by Ts4EVER »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-10-2011, 04:10:20 »
Yep...yep....  Now you see what I'm talking about |:

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-10-2011, 04:10:21 »
They should restart FDR's spending towards American culture preservation (e.g. archiving movies and art pieces) to employ this misguided younglings.  :-\

They are pretty carefree when spending their study time and choosing the subject, while the whole Asia have to bitch through western Financial science during college years. At least, we need to study about how money works.

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-10-2011, 04:10:20 »
edit: LOOOL read up on US universities. Yeah ok... I thought it was like over here: You want to become an engineer so you study engineering. You want to become a doctor so you study medicine (for like 10 years or something) You want to become a history teacher so you study history + something else + paedagogics. But just studying some bs for the hell of it is ill-advised, obviously lol.

Yep from what I understand an much larger percentage of the US population goes to a 4 year university than in Europe. Which sounds good, but it used to be that getting a uni degree almost guaranteed a good job. Then more and more people started going to university and taking out loans to do it. As a result, there were more and more people seeking the same amount of jobs that required a uni degree.

So, now in order to get a good job you pretty much need a master's degree. Even then there's still people with M.A.s that are unemployed. And since people aren't finding well paying jobs, they aren't able to pay back their college loans. When they do find jobs they can't spend money to help the economy because they have to spend it paying off their debt instead. Hence we have massive youth unemployment and low standards of living.

I'm currently one of these unemployed college grads so I know all about it.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-10-2011, 04:10:21 »
Ditto.  I've been lucky enough that a bit of nepotism on the part of my dad landed me the role as his TA at the astronomy lab class he teaches at our local community college.  Course, that's only 3 hours every Monday night, so it's not exactly much.  Just a little extra cash in my pocket every week.

Other than that, I'm currently working on Grad school apps, just took the GRE exam, and am hoping to get into a doctorate program to while the rest of my 20's away in.

But hey, maybe some day 10, 15 year from now, you'll be reading a book by Dr. Matthew Palmer ;)

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-10-2011, 05:10:39 »
Its funny how after weeks of ignoring the protests now its all about descrediting the protest, its all a bunch of commie totalitarian hippies seeking confrontationw with the police cause they dont know what they are protesting for ;)

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/10/5/as_unions_students_join_occupy_wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eDYc8mnEgU

"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-10-2011, 05:10:01 »
But hey, maybe some day 10, 15 year from now, you'll be reading a book by Dr. Matthew Palmer ;)

Then it'll end up filled with all the historical inaccuracies you've pointed out to me in books written by Ph.Ds  :P

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-10-2011, 05:10:47 »

Then it'll end up filled with all the historical inaccuracies you've pointed out to me in books written by Ph.Ds  :P

I do hope I'll keep up with the material.  And hey, there are plenty of great books written by Ph.D's, you just gotta read the right ones ;)

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-10-2011, 05:10:37 »
Ditto.  I've been lucky enough that a bit of nepotism on the part of my dad landed me the role as his TA at the astronomy lab class he teaches at our local community college.  Course, that's only 3 hours every Monday night, so it's not exactly much.  Just a little extra cash in my pocket every week.

Other than that, I'm currently working on Grad school apps, just took the GRE exam, and am hoping to get into a doctorate program to while the rest of my 20's away in.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing, except I'm not TAing and I'm writing my first book right now. Taking the GRE in a week and applying to grad school.