Author Topic: [F|H]&[762] PRESENT - FH2 Custommap Event: Wacht am Rhein  (Read 13690 times)

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de

After long, tough battles fought in winterly Belgium, Luxemburg and France,
the Forgotten Honor campaign "Wacht am Rhein" has ended.

Many hours of mapping, testing, feedback and correction have gone into the creation of these custom maps. That is why [762] and [F|H] have sat together, decided to take a pick and make the best of them public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oneHSnZZzwc&feature=em-share_video_user

From the 31st of December, Server [762]RANKED #4 FH2 v2.45 [64+]
will include the following maps into its daily rotation:

FHT Operation Nordwind
FHT Herrlisheim Outskirts
FHT Advance on Foy
FHT Elsenborn Ridge

You can download an installer .exe here:
Wacht am Rhein map pack

Just run it and the maps will be installed for you.

Should the installer not work for you (Vista users):
1. Download this file and unpack it:  Wacht am Rhein map pack for manual installation
2. You will receive a folder named "fh2".
Open your game folder ( e. g. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods).
3. You should see 2 folders ("bf2" and "fh2").
Copy the "fh2" folder that you have just unpacked into the \mods folder.
4. If you are being asked to include or overwrite, choose "yes, to all".
5. For former [F|H] campaign players: go into your "...\mods\fh2" folder. Delete the "fht" subfolder.

Feel free to comment, criticise and vote @www.762-ranking.de.
The teams of [762] and [F|H] wish you a good start into 2014!

« Last Edit: 02-01-2014, 16:01:46 by x4fun ODIUM »
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: ????
« Reply #1 on: 27-12-2013, 15:12:46 »
What's this?  :)

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-12-2013, 16:12:03 »
It's a weather report. Odium expects it will be snowing soon, which is, given the fact that it is December, no real surprise.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:41 »
I believe these are custom maps which going to kill last active servers of FH2 because x4fun ODIUM is probably planning to add them to the map rotation and players will be forced to download them or they will eventually stop playing if they will find them to be even worse (because as we all know, stock maps are shit) than official maps. According to what he keeps talking in game there is some 762 community autopatcher made by rogue FH2 dev which will automaticaly download custom maps they want distribute among the players.

Everything's clear now. Info added to FH2's facebook fanpage!
« Last Edit: 30-12-2013, 21:12:25 by jan_kurator »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:49 »
Some of these look pretty, but I hope you wont make it like what Jan said.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:11 »
The screens looks nice, :) nice atmospheres (especially that second pic.)

I'd like to get some more info on this tho. In terms of addressing what Jan said.

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #6 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:20 »
I believe these are custom maps which going to kill last active servers of FH2 because x4fun ODIUM is probably planning to add them to the map rotation and players will be forced to download them or they will eventually stop playing if they will find them to be even worse (because as we all know, stock maps are shit) than official maps. According to what he keeps talking in game there is some 762 community autopatcher made by rogue FH2 dev which will automaticaly download custom maps they want distribute among the players.

Such hatred. Wow. Amazing.
Do you believe all you say, Jan? :)

For the positive minded players (non-Jan-Kurator), feel free to speculate, more Info is coming soon! :)
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:52 »
I don't see why custom maps would kill the last servers. They didn't for FH1, and they probably won't for FH2. (In fact I'd say they extended the life of FH1 tenfold).

As long as the server clearly says that it uses custom content and advertises a link to download it, I see it as a nice way to spice up the old boring rotations... (although I guess that adding more 32p versions into the mix would be nice as well, and would have the same effect without players having to download stuff.

And of course, the maps need to be glitch free and thouroughly tested, stuff like floating walls and players falling through ground does not belong to the public servers, as often seen in the hastily prepared maps for the tournaments...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #8 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:42 »
I don't see why custom maps would kill the last servers. They didn't for FH1, and they probably won't for FH2. (In fact I'd say they extended the life of FH1 tenfold).

Could not agree more. I loved the fan mappacks in FH 0.7!
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:02 »
Last Fan Mappack to 0.7 was brilliant. Shame no server ran those maps for more than couple of days and in special occasions because nobody had downloaded them.

Stashuv Area, Soletschnogorsk and whatever_it_was_called_PHL_0.7_version were my definite favorites. Also Cretan Village was fantastic.

Offline sHaKeNbAkE

• View Profile
    • Shake's Pub
« Reply #10 on: 27-12-2013, 17:12:21 »
Very nice images.   I think new content is a great things as it keeps things alive and I would sure love to do a video on some new maps (may bring more players to/back to game).   The only question/concern is how map files are shared.   I noticed you guys don't use a redirect server so when people join the server the map is automatically downloaded....is this being considered?   Also something that was a good idea at RO2 forums was to create one thread where custom maps were listed with a link to download site.   Consolidating in one location made things a lot easier and increased numbers on servers running custom maps.   Best of luck look forward to seeing these in action.  Cheers!

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-12-2013, 18:12:47 »
Well fan maps can be fun. 8) I always think there are a bunch of maps that deserve to be tested out by the community to see how they play on a public server (it's a great way to do some quick stress testing). I think a lot of 'diamonds in the rough' can be found this way and improved upon.

But like shake said, introducing custom maps has to be done right. It should be easy for players to find & DL the maps, otherwise it'll be discouraging to new ppl.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-12-2013, 18:12:50 »
I don't see why custom maps would kill the last servers...
You answered yourself in next paragraph. But to add to that - not many players will download their autopatcher (as it unfortunately was the case with mumble - this community is too lazy) and people won't get custom maps automatically what will result in massive disconnects. And even if maps will be of worse quality than stock maps, people will have to download them if they want to play any FH2 because there is only one server left. I'm afraid they will be server killers. Custom maps may be fun on some events but not on everyday play, so let's hope it will be some event. Anyway, I can understand people making maps for tournaments, because gameplay differs much very often but if there are any talented mappers there, why they don't apply to FH2 team? With help of experienced mappers and testers many custom maps could be so awesome... but they don't.

Last Fan Mappack to 0.7 was brilliant. Shame no server ran those maps for more than couple of days and in special occasions because nobody had downloaded them.

Stashuv Area, Soletschnogorsk and whatever_it_was_called_PHL_0.7_version were my definite favorites. Also Cretan Village was fantastic.
This was actually the only good quality fan mappack (Cretan Village and Todtenbruch are my favourite FH maps even nowadays) but most of the custom maps are unfortunately badly designed. Afaik maps in Forgotten Hope Fan Mappack no 6. were made in cooperation with FH devs (and released via FH main page) by people like Lili Marlene, Knoffhoff, Mr_Cheese and few other who were future FH2 devs.

Well fan maps can be fun. 8) I always think there are a bunch of maps that deserve to be tested out by the community to see how they play on a public server (it's a great way to do some quick stress testing). I think a lot of 'diamonds in the rough' can be found this way and improved upon.
I have nothing against it, but problem is that no one has time to polish those diamonds and original mappers usually don't cooperate, because they act like their work is perfect, they ignore feedback, don't accept criticism or simply don't care anymore and move to other projects.
« Last Edit: 27-12-2013, 18:12:13 by jan_kurator »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-12-2013, 18:12:28 »
I can totally understand some of the concerns about fan maps on 762. But I'll wait until Odium gives us all the info before I forum an opinion.

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-12-2013, 18:12:07 »
there are how many dedicated hard core fh2'ers left playing this game?  Im pretty sure they will get the necessary files to keep playing it, especially if there is something new!  (even if you dont Jan)