Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 21522 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Berlin
« Reply #255 on: 07-12-2018, 14:12:25 »
So you’re not exporting them from 3ds max then.

Is this a map you’re hoping to add to the CMP map-pack or are you trying to add it to the mod officially one day?

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 07-12-2018, 14:12:33 »
No, I just grab the files and put them into the map´s folder. Since they are from another BF2 mod, they work fine.

I´d like to add the map to the CMP map-pack once it´s finished. As I said before, it will never have proper statics simply because nobody is going to make them. My goal is to contribute to this great mod and community by delivering a fun new map to play even though it is not historically accurate.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 07-12-2018, 15:12:12 »
Just a reminder that you need a permission from BGF devs to use their content, otherwise you can’t legally distribute download links to your map, if you keep ignoring that fact, I hope moderators will take care of it.

...As I said before, it will never have proper statics simply because nobody is going to make them. My goal is to contribute to this great mod and community by delivering a fun new map to play even though it is not historically accurate.
The fact there are not statics for it is one of the main resons we don’t have maps like Berlin or Stalingrad. You need to aim for achievable, you can’t just take content from other mods to finish your map.
« Last Edit: 07-12-2018, 15:12:54 by jan_kurator »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 07-12-2018, 16:12:04 »
Yea, maybe CMP or someone has gotten permission. But make sure not to release it without getting permission to use the stuff. We have to respect other people’s work, no matter how old it is.

Honestly, if the map is good, someone could come along a make some statics for it one day, you never know. Just concentrate on gameplay, I believe people liked the first test, so with tweaks hopefully it can be better on the 2nd test.

I think that once gameplay is where you want it, you can comb through an polish it to fix things like player movement and FPS drops and memory issues. Then things like textures, statics and lightmaps could be worked on to make it feel finished.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 07-12-2018, 16:12:52 »
I created a thread in the BG42 forum which has less than 10 threads in total. It is the only possibly active place someone could know about the devs. Places where there actually is a conversation about this are from 2008. I will probably never get an answer from someone that ditched the mod.

Mat, I will not wait a hundred years until a savior modeler arrives. I will release the map as soon as it is ready with whatever assets I have available. After all, I won´t make another map, I just wanted to contribute with something nice.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 07-12-2018, 16:12:37 »
If that’s the case, we’d have to make sure the assets are allowed to be used, otherwise nobody will release the map.

I’d hope you’re willing to make sure the map runs and plays well with the assets that you’re using, and do as much as you can to polish it before ‘finishing’ it. It might not include making statics, but it will still be a lot of work to polish as much as possible.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 07-12-2018, 19:12:38 »
I created a thread in the BG42 forum which has less than 10 threads in total. It is the only possibly active place someone could know about the devs. Places where there actually is a conversation about this are from 2008. I will probably never get an answer from someone that ditched the mod.
Then don’t use their content, ”ditched” or not, it is still copyrighted material you are not allowed to use.

Mat, I will not wait a hundred years until a savior modeler arrives. I will release the map as soon as it is ready with whatever assets I have available. After all, I won´t make another map, I just wanted to contribute with something nice.
BGF assets are not available for you without owners permission. Welcome to the world of modding.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 08-12-2018, 00:12:50 »
Then don’t use their content, ”ditched” or not, it is still copyrighted material you are not allowed to use.

BGF assets are not available for you without owners permission. Welcome to the world of modding.

Seems to me....

1. If the community is dead & an honest effort has went into contacting someone after a reasonable period of time without any contact = Public domain.

2. Its not like he is selling this map for a profit. Its free to the community

I made a Pearl harbor map for 42 back in 2010 using content from several mods without permission & shared it with my clan. No lawyers came knocking on my door.

3. There is always "Fair Use".

Fair use is a doctrine in the law of the United States that permits limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder. Fair use is one of the limitations to copyright intended to balance the interests of copyright holders with the public interest in the wider distribution and use of creative works by allowing as a defense to copyright infringement claims certain limited uses that might otherwise be considered infringement.

Anyways.....Good Luck.....

:-*
« Last Edit: 08-12-2018, 00:12:48 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline Yakovlev

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 08-12-2018, 04:12:31 »
Hey blander if you ever interested by a historical soviet song about the battle of berlin i recommand you the song of Leonid Utyosov - Road to Berlin , it was written by Leonid in 1945 at the last months of the collapsing third reich.
« Last Edit: 08-12-2018, 04:12:46 by Yakovlev »

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 08-12-2018, 05:12:47 »
Interesting song. I don´t personally like the music itself though the lyrics are very adequate. There´s still a lot of work until the map is finished, there´s more than enough time to choose a song.

Offline kutuzovrusss

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 08-12-2018, 07:12:32 »
photo must also be put at boot

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 08-12-2018, 17:12:44 »
@Jimi I don’t wanna derail this thread
Spoiler
that’s all well and good, but fair use doesn’t apply here. There’s no law saying that we can’t use that content. Even the Chinese mods that steal FH2s stuff get no real reprocussion because nobody has the time or patience to follow up on that stuff.

It’s more a question of morality. Those people worked really hard on their models and textures, and there’s no telling if they would’ve really been okay with others using their work for something else. Some (most) of them might not give a fuck, some of them might get legitimately angry that someone is using their work out of context. It’s not our position to say what they would’ve wanted.

Also, if we start just taking content for use in our own projects, it gives us no moral backup when we see others stealing our content.

To top that off, afaik the FH and CMP devs won’t release anything that hasn’t gotten explicit permission from the previous owner to be used. This is just a courtesy to other modders.

Keep working on the map, I’m curious to see how it plays.

Offline SgtAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 08-12-2018, 18:12:30 »
It would be easier if mods defined licenses for their content (creative commons for example)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 08-12-2018, 22:12:56 »
@Jimi I don’t wanna derail this thread
Spoiler
that’s all well and good, but fair use doesn’t apply here. There’s no law saying that we can’t use that content. Even the Chinese mods that steal FH2s stuff get no real reprocussion because nobody has the time or patience to follow up on that stuff.

It’s more a question of morality. Those people worked really hard on their models and textures, and there’s no telling if they would’ve really been okay with others using their work for something else. Some (most) of them might not give a fuck, some of them might get legitimately angry that someone is using their work out of context. It’s not our position to say what they would’ve wanted.

Also, if we start just taking content for use in our own projects, it gives us no moral backup when we see others stealing our content.

To top that off, afaik the FH and CMP devs won’t release anything that hasn’t gotten explicit permission from the previous owner to be used. This is just a courtesy to other modders.

Keep working on the map, I’m curious to see how it plays.

Agreed. Its a fascinating project!

8)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 08-12-2018, 23:12:38 »
It might be best to get to BGF devs through someone else. If anyone knows where to find them, it's this guy:

https://www.moddb.com/members/anthony817

So contact him first and he might give you some leads.

Also, try posting in this group, maybe someone from the original devs is in it and will see the comment:

https://www.moddb.com/groups/battlefield-mod-developers
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...