Author Topic: operation goodwood  (Read 14179 times)

Offline CBCRonin

• View Profile
Re: operation goodwood
« Reply #90 on: 27-03-2010, 00:03:12 »
Strange, it does that for me too. The shield goes up and down depending on if I look up or down with the mouse.

It's a bug because, normally, you can move it up and down only with the arrow keys.
Good to know, as having it "re-linked" to the arrow key would be much better.

Are the rear doors on the axis APC capable of opening? I didn't play 2.25 without the min-mod, due to the reported sp crash issues and lack of working Stuka, so I never checked to see before installing it.

Offline matthewfarenheit

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 27-03-2010, 00:03:19 »
Ok, tried by using AITweakVehicles.zip but not AITweakWeapons.zip. No CTDs, but also the bug I mentioned above remained (German APC shields working with the mouse look instead of the arrow keys, thus opening and closing when not intended). In this playtrough I replaced static pak40s with moveable ones so as to change as few things as possible and it worked as descripted.

I'll try to narrow it down further tomorrow. It has to be some behaviour inside those files. I already tried getting rid of the modification to stationary weaponry alone, but it CTD after 10 minutes...

Good to know, as having it "re-linked" to the arrow key would be much better.

Are the rear doors on the axis APC capable of opening? I didn't play 2.25 without the min-mod, due to the reported sp crash issues and lack of working Stuka, so I never checked to see before installing it.

Nope, they never opened AFAIK

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 27-03-2010, 07:03:51 »
Strange, it does that for me too. The shield goes up and down depending on if I look up or down with the mouse.

It's a bug because, normally, you can move it up and down only with the arrow keys.
Good to know, as having it "re-linked" to the arrow key would be much better...
I take it from this, that it happens all the time for you guys?

I've only had it happen once, on Goodwood in an M3A1, and I figured it must've been a one-off glitch... :-\

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #93 on: 27-03-2010, 17:03:44 »
Three words ... BUG TRACKING SYSTEM ::)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 27-03-2010, 21:03:48 »
I tried changing the Pak40s to mobile versions and to 6pdrs, and in both cases got CTDs when using my AI mod, but no CTD when running without the mod.
However, I then tried installing matthewfarenheit's modified Goodwood file instead of mine - and the map now runs fine using my mod as well as with default FH2.25! Not sure what the cause of this is, but I did notice that matthewfarenheit's's file is several KB larger than the one I extracted from the default Goodwood server.zip.

(I should mention, though, that the AI mod files I'm using are not the 1.1 ones available for download, but have changed a lot since, including some more bug fixes.)

I'll have a look at the halftrack shield bug when I get the time (don't have  time now, and will be out all day tomorrow). Another thing I'll try out is putting the static Pak40 in another map (e.g Aberdeen) and seeing what happens... swapping the Goodwood ones for static Pak38s might also be worth trying.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 28-03-2010, 21:03:30 »
Just a quick followup to my last post, matthewfarenheit's fix doesn't work with my AI mod after all  :( - CTDs still occur, though it does seem to be a lot more stable than the default FH2.25 Goodwood, games usually last for 10-15min before the CTD occurs. Sorry for

I'll try running FH2 with the AI vehicle mods but not weapon mods, and see if this has any effect. If so, I'll try progressively removing weapons to find which one(s) are responsible.

One question to anyone who's played Winterhilf's updated Goodwood (which matthewfarenheit's fix is based on) - how does the spawning system for Axis vehicles work? At first, I thought it was a bug that only the Germans only got Marders and halftracks - all the tanks and StuGs being missing - but later into the game, PzIVs and Panthers started to appear at the German main base. Is this time-based, or based on how many CPs each side has? (the same way that the Matilda spawns on Siege of Tobruk when the Germans capture the forward defences) and do the StuG and Tiger eventually spawn?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28-03-2010, 22:03:08 »
Winterhilf's new goodwood spawns the fireflies almost immediate after game startup, as well as most german tanks... including the Tiger/Tiger II. This means, unlike the Stock Goodwood where the Allies get as far as the base right next to Jerry, the allies only manage to cap the Marder base (sometimes) and the first line base before being stopped almost dead in their tracks and requiring player aid or some aggression to start putting heat on Cagney West. Also, the Germans can cross any part of the rail as well as climb the dikes instead of squeezing through the alcove and bridge pass, making their flow of tanks sufficient enough to keep the allies behind their axis-out-of bounds area if the game lasts long enough

I have gotten confused with this map... I used to think that Goodwood west had a pathmap issue that CTDed the map, but with all vehicles removed, there isn't supposed to be a CTD any longer...

Also, I have had a situation where the map CTDed directly after a PAK40 was destroyed.. or sometimes, just after it fires.. This also occured in my last game of Totalize, where a PAK40 captured by Canucks engaged Jerry manning an 88 across the river... It does seem like these CTDs have something to do with that gun, which can explain why in maps like Luttich, PDH and PHL it doesn't as these lack a PAK gun... But circumstances of this may not be isolated to the PAK, maybe something else...

I just don't know - I really think a strategy needs to be drawn up by us SPers to try to figure this out. I already suggested something for Luttich, perhaps a bit brute-force, but perhaps we can narrow it down to have unique sets of vehicles in for each file and see which causes the CTD, and then narrow it down.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 29-03-2010, 08:03:09 »
...One question to anyone who's played Winterhilf's updated Goodwood (which matthewfarenheit's fix is based on) - how does the spawning system for Axis vehicles work?...
Beats me...one round there'll only be 2 or 3 Brit tanks at the start, with the rest spawning over the next couple of minutes, and the next round most, if not all of them, will be there at the start... ::)

Same with the German tanks, although sometimes there's no tanks at the start and they take ages to appear (the Panthers and Tiger in particular).

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 29-03-2010, 10:03:19 »
Then you are probably still using the stock Goodwood

The proof of the Pudding to tell if it IS Winterhilf's patch is this:
in the stock Goodwood, German bots spawned upstairs at the marder base and get stuck there. In Winterhilf's patch - Which unless I'm mistaken has a DL link in this very thread, Or another like it, has no bots spawning upstairs.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 30-03-2010, 20:03:44 »
I think I may have made some progress (no guarantees yet) in getting matthewfarenheit's Goodwood 64 fix to work with my AI mod; after temporarily disabling AITweakWeapons.zip, I managed to play a complete game without a CTD. I modified the gameplayobjects.con to make the German tanks and Fireflies spawn as normal without relying on the "push" script (see below) and the Germans had the upper hand for most of the game, the British only managing to capture the north 2 CPs in the last 5 minutes.

I'll need to test the map a couple of times more to check that the non-CTD isn't just luck, but the cause definitely seems to be something in the weapons tweak file. I suspect it may be a grenade or other thrown weapon; earlier I had a CTD which occurred at the exact moment a grenade exploded after being thrown into a Marder, may be coincidence but since bots don't throw grenades at vehicles in unmodded FH2.25, this may be the cause of the issue; possibly there's a collision/physics issue with throwing grenades at some open-topped vehicles, or the Marder I in particular.

The "push mode" script used in Goodwood appears to only work when you're connected to the Internet, even in single-player mode. No idea why (is there any way to fix this?). The spawn scripts for the German tanks and British Fireflies (not the other British vehicles) in Winterhilf's modified Goodwood are connected to the push mode script, so if you play the map offline, the Germans only have halftracks, Marders and AT guns, and the British don't have Fireflies. Without disabling the AI weapons tweak file, the map is a lot more stable, but still CTDs sooner or later, approximately 3 out of 4 times.

(What I've been doing is starting up FH2 and leaving the computer running, checking back on it every so often to see if it's crashed; this avoids wasting hours on the computer and playing the same map so much that I'm sick of playing it by the time I eventually fix the CTD!)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 31-03-2010, 12:03:46 »
Then you are probably still using the stock Goodwood...
Nope...I even redid it to make sure. Using Winterhilf's update with Drawde's minimod (v1.1), there were 2 Fireflies at the start at the Brit main and 2 P.IVs and the Stug at the German main...which is odd considering the above post... :-\

Maybe the push script is bugged and isn't working properly or only works occasionally?

I dunno, but I do know that I always have Fireflies spawning...

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #101 on: 01-04-2010, 07:04:31 »
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but are we all using the 1.5 or the 1.41 patch ? I thought the difference in SP was only the Commander AI but there seem to be other issues like these for example.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 01-04-2010, 08:04:53 »
No, this isn't affected by the BF2 version. I'm using the 1.41 patch alone for the first time - And the only difference I get is the Ai commander artillery. Other than that, it seems to play exactly the same - Goodwood is exactly the same

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 01-04-2010, 19:04:03 »
I'm about 90% certain I've tracked down the cause of the AI mod/Goodwood fix bug - it appears to be one of the AT rocket weapons (possibly the Panzerfaust). The reason the map rarely if ever CTDs without the AI mod weapon data is that the default AI min/max ranges make it almost impossible for the bots to use them (not totally impossible; I saw a PIAT kill message once)

As to what it is about these weapons that's causing the crash, and whether it can be fixed without totally preventing the AI from using them, I don't know yet, but I'll try my best!

With the AT weapon data (not grenades and explosive charges) removed from aitweakweapons.zip (and all static Pak40s replaced with mobile ones) Goodwood 64 CTDs about 30% of the time, usually about 10 minutes after the game starts. Not perfect, but a lot better than the original virtually guaranteed CTD in the first 5-10 minutes!

Unfortunately, removing the AT weapon files doesn't appear to fix the Luttich CTD; I still suspect this one is weapons-related, though.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #104 on: 01-04-2010, 21:04:54 »
Sound encouraging. A strong cup of sweet battlefield tea is on the way to you :)