Author Topic: Omaha Beach 64  (Read 6253 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Omaha Beach 64
« Reply #15 on: 15-04-2014, 04:04:53 »
Are ALL the barbed-wire segments supposed to be destructable? I tried blowing some at the top of the cliffs multiple times, they were never destroyed. Is that because they are supposed to be indestructable? Or could it be that... I don't know... my Bangalores just slid down the hill (is that actually possible? I always had the impression they pretty much stick to the place you throw 'em)?
Only the barbed wire on the seawall can be destroyed, the thick one which completely blocks movement of soldiers trying to cross it, all other bits of it can be jumped over instead.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16-04-2014, 04:04:12 »
I think we can all agree that this map recreates the first part of the assault on Omaha beach better than any game attempt before it.  What it's missing is the Americans chance at a breakthrough.  I know it's early but it's beginning to look like the Americans will never get it done, not on a populated server anyway.  Maybe they could do it a few times in a organized tournament battle IDK.

I suggest recreating the cruise of the USS Frankford, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach#Naval_support

Like on Ramelle, when the p51's give the allies some help, you can have an animation of this destroyer cruise by close, East to West, and blow up most of the emplaced positions at the same time.  This break while the Germans repair should get more Americans and their SL's off the beach and up to bluffs to start phase 2 of the battle.

If this is too much work for now, an alternative would be to make some German guns unrepairable or limit the number of times they can be repaired.  The Americans just can't get off the beach if the guns keep popping back up, IMO.

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16-04-2014, 23:04:21 »
I found the Lafette in D5 like this:

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16-04-2014, 23:04:22 »
So what? You know that you can turn these things around with the a and d keys, right? Probably somebody wanted to take the other wn under fire.

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17-04-2014, 00:04:03 »
So what? You know that you can turn these things around with the a and d keys, right? Probably somebody wanted to take the other wn under fire.

WAIT WHAT YOU CAN? Oh Lord I thought it was some sort of repair bug! And all those Americans on the beach  :'(

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17-04-2014, 04:04:26 »
WAIT WHAT YOU CAN? Oh Lord I thought it was some sort of repair bug! And all those Americans on the beach  :'(

Yuuup ;) those babies have pretty much 360 coverage. I actually wanted to see if there were any holes in the MG coverage on the beach so I did a VERY rough map of where each MG can cover. Red=death, it's a wonder the Americans weren't thrown back into the sea

and it's worse when you add in the paks :o
« Last Edit: 17-04-2014, 04:04:02 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17-04-2014, 10:04:28 »
But the shiparty can reach all those positions as well :)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17-04-2014, 17:04:23 »
But the shiparty can reach all those positions as well
I think the ship arty is proving ineffective.  It depends too much on good spots.  Binoc kits are really limited and the spotter has to stay alive in that red zone somewhere.  An organized team might get it done but not pubbies.

Inaffective arty was historically accurate until destroyers started coming in close to the beach and firing at a flat trajectory.  This is what pubbies need.  A simple way is to make another static destroyer appear after some time close enough that the gunners can aim without spotters or can spot for themselves.

A better way is to give the Allies a real destroyer they can drive up to the beach and use, perhaps in a future release.  Sure some asshat will drive it off the map or beach it once in a while like in BF42, but they can be kicked.

Set these things to appear at 10 mins maybe or make the Americans cap some objective on the beach to trigger it.  Maybe after they blow some holes in the sea wall.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17-04-2014, 18:04:44 »
I think the ship arty is proving ineffective.  It depends too much on good spots.  Binoc kits are really limited and the spotter has to stay alive in that red zone somewhere.  An organized team might get it done but not pubbies.

This is an excellent point. I have floated in landing craft just beyond firing range, still at sea and cannot see the MG Nest to spot.

Matthew_Baker's image does not show the MG Nest coverage going into the ocean.

It does a bit.

I also noticed the german Mortar Hits the blind spots on the beach(USA Kit Locations)

It is very well covered.

This IS the hardest map in FH2, but lets see what happens in a few weeks.

Im working on a Weapons Check for Omaha & Gold & may throw in some Allied tips for the community.

;)

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18-04-2014, 00:04:59 »
Well yeah, the arty has to get some spots and whatnot. Last time i was on there i got loads of good spots and killed lods of mg nests. If nobody spots, then yeah it won't be so effective... like it should be.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-04-2014, 14:04:25 »

I think that after some time pubbies will learn to use it even without spots. So they will know how to aim all those nests, there are ways to achieve it. Some artillerist in game are able to shoot specific areas without spots on the maps because they simply know how to rotate their guns, so in fact, after some time this map might become too easy for allies. Let's wait and see.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-04-2014, 17:04:15 »
For what it's worth, every time I've played this map on a small server the American's have easily scooped up the WNs on the beach (after a tough fight) and moved the fight on to the town. Most of those times they've even capped out the Germans before tickets (too large for the amount of players on the server by comparison) ran out. Even when I've played it on a large server, ~100; I've found that good SLs with good tactics can provide close spawn points for the Americans to overwhelm the WNs after some trying. And the Americans at least get a foothold if not cap all 3 nests by the time the round ends.

For me, it just reinforces the theory that time is the only thing standing between the Americans and a legit win on this map. And I honestly believe that once the public figures out that teamwork is the key, this map will become much more balanced.   

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-04-2014, 18:04:25 »
Last time i was on there i got loads of good spots and killed lods of mg nests.
Did the Allies advance in that round?

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-04-2014, 18:04:38 »
Yep, but the tickets ran out too soon. Which will be fixed.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-04-2014, 22:04:37 »
Yes, the map is too reliant on an excellent ship gunner who also has great spots. Given that spotter kits are very limited and it's so damn hard to spawn and stay alive on the beach (let alone spot), this makes for a tough situation.

I also noticed that there are a bunch of scoped Lafette MG42s, which I think is overkill. I think regular MG42s with the normal ironsight zoom are plenty effective. I've lost count of the number of times I was sniped from behind an obstacle by a scoped Lafette.

I also think there need to be more shell craters on the beach for US soldiers to use for cover. Given the scoped MGs stated above, on top of all the other shit with a clear line of fire, it is quite impossible to cross that expanse -- even IF the ship gunner knows how to use smoke shells.

This map has so much potential, but it's ruined when the US don't have a shot at escaping the beach. Also remember that the most populated server - 762- doesn't run the map very often. As a result, you're not going to see people getting alot of practice with it. I would assume that people are going to play it like they are now, and adjust the map accordingly.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA