Author Topic: Bardia 64  (Read 31870 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Bardia 64
« Reply #60 on: 05-12-2013, 01:12:52 »
Haven't said before that I love the new atmosphere on this map, really did a lot to make it less BF2ish and make it one of the better looking maps in the mod 8)

I've never had a problem with the Matilda camping but I haven't played this map in a while. I'd vote against removing it tho as it was the 'poster-child' of this battle. 

My only suggestions would be to try and take away any blatantly German things on the map. Obviously the 88 needs to be there to counter the Matilda and the Italians don't have a big enough gun in-game to replace it. But I'd agree with taking away the k98 sniper and replacing it with a Pattern 14, as suggested before. Most other German things on the map have slowly been weeded out as the mod has progressed and hopefully that continues ;)

My last suggestion would be to change the Australian player models on the map. Obviously BF2 can't really replicate the coats the Aussies actually wore and it'll never be 100% historically accurate. But I'd put the same commonwealth player models that are on Mareth and Tunis on this map. Just giving the Aussies some long sleeves and pants instead of the shorts etc.. to represent the desert cold in January.

I like the way this map plays tho, never had a problem with it and it provides some good infantry fights. Iirc I don't think the Aussies have a dome of death around their main tho, the Italians can walk right in. Never had a problem with this before but it should probably be there.         

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 05-12-2013, 01:12:02 »
Man you're so late, I don't even remember what the old Bardia was like.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 05-12-2013, 02:12:20 »
Man you're so late, I don't even remember what the old Bardia was like.

lol I've played it a ton since then, just never got around to providing any feedback. These forums barely get any love. hopefully the devs still sift through these from time to time :P

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 10-04-2014, 13:04:25 »
2.46 changelog for Bardia 64

• Introduced a "no-go" area for the Italians around the Allied base to prevent spawn raping (see the minimap screenshot below).
  • Decreased the fog distance to limit raping of the Allied infantry spawning area from the opposite side of the river.
  • New sniper pickup kit for the Italians - the captured Pattern rifle + the usual Italo-German stuff (also affects Bardia 16).
  • Minor spawning polishing (also affects Bardia 16).
  • Updated minimap w/o the white-on-black text obscuring the port.
  • Improved lighting with slightly less darkness and less pronounced bluishness.
  • Gazillions of cosmetic fixes - floating and misplaced statics and overgrowth, lighting issues, "invisible" barrels in the port, etc, etc, etc. Even the "Mersa Matruh" inscription reported by Kelmola in 2010 was removed.

Minimap for reference (the cyan line only shows the new Italian no-go area around the Allied base, you won't see it in game):

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11-04-2014, 16:04:08 »
Even the "Mersa Matruh" inscription reported by Kelmola in 2010 was removed.
Whoa, talk about attention to detail there. Had already totally forgotten about this and at the time had probably intended it as more of a joke than expected it to be actually repaired :p

Of course, this thoroughness and dedication of the devteam is what makes FH2 stand head and shoulders above commercial games.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11-04-2014, 20:04:26 »
Of course, this thoroughness and dedication of the devteam is what makes FH2 stand head and shoulders above commercial games.

Agreed!

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03-05-2014, 00:05:16 »
As a comment on balance, I haven't seen the Aussies cap out the Italians and win this map in a long time. They have the tank and ticket advantage but I feel it's a little too hard for them to hold 3 flags while trying to put down the entire Italian team at another.

I will say that lately I've only been playing this map with about 80+ ppl on the server which might have a lot to do with it. This map was tight when only 64 player servers were possible, now it just feels cramped with that many people on. It bottlenecks the Aussies and makes the Italian defense easier overall. I don't remember ever having balance issues with this map before 64+ code came along. (This is more of a server issue than a map design one tho :P)

As a possible 64+ layer I would maybe revert this map back to straight conquest to have a balanced fight. The Aussies stop the bleed after holding 2 flags and Italians bleed when down to one flag. Keep the ticket ratio the same and maybe take away one of the A-13s.

This is just a suggestion for now; but I think an overall decision needs to be made about the maps that aren't fit for 64+ players, and how to make new layers for them to be more suitable. 

P.S. Thank You for putting an ABC line in for the Aussies :) it helps a lot to not be sniped by Italians camping on the wrong side of the river. 

Offline Hauggy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11-05-2015, 03:05:19 »
I suggest the removal of the some of these bf2 bunkers that ruin the athmosphere of the map a bit (especially the ones mounted on top concrete blocks and that are quite uselss due to their location the sandbag ones are okay I suppose.

Also could we have some breda tripod pickup kit I can't seem to find any.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 08-02-2016, 01:02:39 »
2.5 changelog for Bardia (all layers)

• New "winter Australians" soldier model by Matt Baker.
  • Fixed trench skirt texture, now they more or less match the surrounding terrain.

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 09-06-2016, 14:06:18 »
I have suggestion-replace the "88s" with shied with "88" without shield. AFAIK Cannone da 90/53 doesn't use shield and I still haven't found a photo of such. Otherwise, I think the 88 ressembles it pretty much.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 13-06-2016, 17:06:53 »
2.52 changelog for Bardia 64

« Last Edit: 14-06-2016, 01:06:53 by gavrant »

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 13-06-2016, 22:06:06 »
Now I feel so proud of myself. ;D Just another proof that the devs do listen to their community.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 13-06-2016, 23:06:23 »
We do, but the community is too lazy to post in here and instead complains on the server... ;)

Offline MoustachAttack

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 16-06-2016, 13:06:28 »
Near the City Hospital I found this pottery that will never fall (why?!!  :'( ) and floating bricks. Also what about deleting german inscriptions on ammo boxes and barrels to give a less "german feel" of this italian base?