Author Topic: Offroad vehicle mobility  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
Offroad vehicle mobility
« on: 22-05-2012, 15:05:42 »
3 ton trucks driving trough grassy fields, desert dunes etc? LOL

Cant they give heavy 2 wheel drive vehicles a big speed penalty when driving in rough/bad terrain?

This would encourage the use of (unarmoured) halftracks, kettenkrads, for their superior offroad mobility.

Also id like to see more kettenkrads and unarmoured halftracks on normandy maps.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Offroad vehicle mobility
« Reply #1 on: 22-05-2012, 15:05:06 »
Would be nice and it was already suggested before FH2 was out. Unfortunately the material collision doesn't work so pretty to have it in believable way (AFAIK).

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-05-2012, 23:05:10 »
This is actually a great idea. Too bad if it's enjinbinatation.

I wonder if random bits of wood or rocks or debris lying around in these fields could be coded like the fences, but only allow halftracks, tanks, and citroens through unhindered. The trucks could still run full speed, but there would be a high chance of hitting one of these and rolling/bumping around and generally making it difficult to drive off road.

They could be pretty simple low poly objects.

Or long, invisible, speedbump-like objects.

Infantry could possibly walk over unhindered as well for gameplay.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-05-2012, 20:05:36 »
not needed in the game. Most players dont know what "material" is on the ground and what friction it has (it is sand, gravel, dirt, loose sand, wet dirt? etc) no one pays attention trying to analyze the soil.

Better to just let the vehicles drive the same on all surfaces, it's not like having the trucks drive slow on certain material would make the game more fun. The only result we'd get is player spending more time pressing W in the truck.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-05-2012, 22:05:40 »
not needed in the game. Most players dont know what "material" is on the ground and what friction it has (it is sand, gravel, dirt, loose sand, wet dirt? etc) no one pays attention trying to analyze the soil.

Better to just let the vehicles drive the same on all surfaces, it's not like having the trucks drive slow on certain material would make the game more fun. The only result we'd get is player spending more time pressing W in the truck.

It wouldn't make the game more fun but would add a lot of tactical possibilites. For example mining certain roads would actually become useful (that is if you let roads have "normal" speeds)... It would be easier for planes to locate enemies (convoys etc.). It would affect player gameplay in a lot more levels than just "spending more times pressing W". It would add a chance to perform a maneuver, and increase the mobility importance (let's imagine enemy is trying to cross the field, while you get on the road and quickly get behind him).

But yeah, overall it would be a lot of work for little gain.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-06-2012, 10:06:52 »
I dont think reducing the offroad speed of heavy wheeled vehicles such as trucks would be that difficult.

It would enhance ambushes on roads, and give more use to the halftracks wich transport infantry to the frontline.

« Last Edit: 04-06-2012, 11:06:49 by Gunnerz »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-06-2012, 12:06:19 »
Btw is this partly in-game already (despite what Natty says). I swear that the frozen rivers on Bastogne give you less traction (and thus speed) when driving across them...  ???
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-06-2012, 16:06:49 »
Btw is this partly in-game already (despite what Natty says). I swear that the frozen rivers on Bastogne give you less traction (and thus speed) when driving across them...  ???

Its true..  it does do that.  Im one for this idea..  It would make the roads as said.. more tactical for usage and ambushes.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-06-2012, 16:06:57 »
I like this idea, what about some areas of deep snow/mud on some maps that seriously slow you down? Like part of a field or something that you have to try and avoid or you become a sitting duck?

On the other hand, I think some vehicles need upgraded mobility. Sometimes even if you're on the slightest of hills, your tank takes 5-10 seconds to start reversing. I've been fausted many a time on Meuse because my tank wouldn't reverse back up the hill from Comm HQ to Farm, or something similar.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.