Author Topic: WinSPWW2 tutorial  (Read 16071 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: WinSPWW2 tutorial
« Reply #30 on: 04-01-2014, 17:01:23 »
Sometimes radios break, just wait for a few turns. Also, are you 100% certain everyone involved has a radio?

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04-01-2014, 17:01:04 »
Not 100% sure, no. Can they break? I think the observer got some 75 mm shells from a howitzer at one point. How can I check if it has a radio?

Also, how much arty is too much? I got a leFH 18 battery and three 80 mm GrW making up 5 or 6% of the force.

And finally, one does simple NOT like lafettes! The amount of suppression and casualties I dish out with these are invaluable. Bringing them in instead of the 50 mm GrW was the smartest thing ever. Are there any occations where the 50 mm are better than the HMGs? Urban fighting and forests?

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04-01-2014, 18:01:43 »
Not 100% sure, no. Can they break? I think the observer got some 75 mm shells from a howitzer at one point. How can I check if it has a radio?

Also, how much arty is too much? I got a leFH 18 battery and three 80 mm GrW making up 5 or 6% of the force.

And finally, one does simple NOT like lafettes! The amount of suppression and casualties I dish out with these are invaluable. Bringing them in instead of the 50 mm GrW was the smartest thing ever. Are there any occations where the 50 mm are better than the HMGs? Urban fighting and forests?

Sometimes I try to use 50mm mortar but it never does anything :D. I usually swap it for MG15 AA or light AT gun.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17-01-2014, 05:01:47 »
Hm, so I'm debating starting a campaign as germans, starting in 1939.  I'm still utter crap, but it might be a good way to learn.  What would be a good size map and point limit to use to have smallish size battle?  I'm looking to mostly use infantry, AT guns, light tanks, infy support guns and artillery.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18-01-2014, 00:01:59 »
60x60 map, 1500 points.

edit: Get a pair of 15cm IGs, they destroy everything.
« Last Edit: 18-01-2014, 00:01:32 by Ts4EVER »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18-01-2014, 03:01:24 »
I was thinking of using the 75mm IG, cuz I love that little gun.  Convince me otherwise and I may go halv-sies.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18-01-2014, 03:01:55 »
Well it doesnt pack as much of a punch, but I think it might shoot faster. Certainly better for bombardements.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18-01-2014, 03:01:25 »
Speaking of, how does that bombard tool work?  Everytime I use it, it just shoots a bit but doesn't show as actually hitting/killing anything.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18-01-2014, 03:01:47 »
There are two basic ways to use artillery: indirect fire which needs to be directed by an observer, or direct fire. Direct fire is either directed against a target unit or against a ground hex (hotkey z). If you shoot at a ground hex, it will be more inaccurate, but still suppress. You can also use it to shoot at hexes that you cant see due to smoke or limited visibility, but in that case the shots will be very inaccurate.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18-01-2014, 03:01:37 »
Gotcha, thanks :)  I'll prob start it up tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19-01-2014, 02:01:56 »
Well, I'm running the first battle.  I have a company of Panzer 1Bs, a platoon of 6 6-rad cars, 2 ig75, 5 Pak36 (both with horse drawn wagons), 1 infantry company with a HMG and a 5cm mortar in support, and a small fahrrad platoon to support my artillery.  Currently in a meeting engagement, and am holding a town and a river line, the town with my infantry and 3 of the Pak guns, river line with my remaining guns, fahrrad, armoured cars, and the HMG/mortar team.  I'm holding 5 panzers in support of the infantry in reserve, and am swinging the other Panzers in a long maneuver to the north, where the river is furthur back, hoping to come around above the Polish attack and take the bridges over the river, hopefully using my infantry and Pak guns as the anvil on which the Panzer 1s will fall.  I'm not certain how to screenshot the game, but I'll let you guys know what happens.  If I do well enough, I may start up an AAR and start handing out units to people ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19-01-2014, 03:01:15 »
That force seems pretty light on mobile at. If the poles have 7tps, you are probably screwed.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19-01-2014, 03:01:30 »
THat's part of the fun.

Anyways, the Poles only brought TKS.  The problem is more...my game is bugging to all hell.  For some reason, units will only fire if they are in the same hex as an enemy unit.  Try as I might, they, and the Poles, refuse to fire unless they BOTH occupy the same exact hex.  So my Pak 36s were destroyed by Polish TKS's, despite being in perfect shot, because they couldn't fire, and the TKS's just rolled into their hex and killed them.  I have done the same to the Polish artillery with my Panzer 1s, assualting them and annhiliating them.  Same goes for my infantry.  I'm currently using an armoured car to drive up in front of the TKS, drive back and forth until there is exactly one move remaining, so I can drive it into the TKS spot and kill it.

This is weird.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19-01-2014, 03:01:59 »
LOL

Look at visibility. It is probably set to "1". You are playing a night battle ;)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19-01-2014, 04:01:38 »
Too late, battle ended.  I guess that's a possibility, lol.  Either way I won (though game called it a "draw".  Lost 54 men, killed 464, lost 5 tanks, knocked out 5 (all using an armoured car, that got a nice promotion out of it).

I'll keep experimenting, don't fully understand the next battle screen.  I thought I had to spend points to repair or something?  Instead I just bought a few PzII, more pak guns, and some 20mm AA.  Though not sure how that works, can I just continously expand my force?  Seems like that would get out of hand pretty quick.
« Last Edit: 19-01-2014, 04:01:45 by VonMudra »