Author Topic: Work required to improve AI in FH2SP - Choose your pick  (Read 3958 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
So we need to try to work together as a community, taking up the roles there are to get SP off the ground... Hopefully so that we have something that works in 2.26. The projects and roles there are are thus:

1/ Navmesh
Pathmapping and Navmeshing of new maps like Op. Cobra, mareth and Lebesey, if nothing at all... New maps for bots means more fans for both FH2SP and FH2 as a whole - New simulations for testing your skills with bots, and good news alll around.
Required skill: Navmeshing

2/ AI
Spot currently closed - Position held by Drawde

3/ AI-Support
This is tweking done to improve the Ai code to see how we can get bots work around issues they may currently have such as use of charges, firing rockets too far etc. Rather than coming up with a new patch, please DL Drawde's patch, tweak it where you can, log changes and let Drawde know to see how we can include it and present it to the devs for incorporation into 2.26
Required Skill: AI, logic and conversance with BF2 AI files

4/ Navmesh-Support
While we work on adding new maps for bots, a minor role will be to iron out creases in already supported maps. Known issues exist that make bots get stuck here and there, these could be addressed. Also, we can try to navmesh more buildings that do not have them to make for a more robust gameplay in SP
We would like to get na
Required skill: Navmeshing

5/ Beta-testing
DL the Patches, try to see what makes things break, try to understand the logic of bots and lets see if we can improve it even further though your feedback
Required skill: Basic understanding of AI logic, the willingness to play and give feedback on anything worth noting.

6/ AI Poineers
While we have an unofficial AI person and are looking for Independent AI-Support, we would also like those who can to take up the project of making in-roads in bot-logic. Be inspired by the works of Drawde, Winterhilf, Bizness and Legion and join the unofficial ranks to add to what bots can do
We would for instance like to see bots fire field howtizers over long range, being able to see over hedgrow, hills and buffs. Furthermore, we will like bots to be able to use HE, mg and AP for tanks and AT guns, to deploy landmines and AP mines as well as clear enemy mines, the Stuka to use its divehorn and fly higher, Infantry to move more coordinated and obey the commo-rose options among other new AI improvements - Please join our motley crew and help the FH2SP community to flourish
Required skill: Advanced logic and AI-modding skills

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Re: Work required to improve AI in FH2SP - Choose your pick
« Reply #1 on: 06-04-2010, 22:04:29 »
You have my bow~

I'll do all thats in my abilities to help so I'll beta test if thats ok?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-04-2010, 22:04:05 »
We need all the BTs we can get... those are our bread and butter.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #3 on: 06-04-2010, 22:04:28 »
Sweet, I should have a working PC within the next few weeks so I'm in! :D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-04-2010, 23:04:12 »
All you need to do is follow the forum and discussions - We currently have issues we need diagnosing - Call it 'our Op. Cobra':

1/ Goodwood CTDs after 5 - 20 minutes of play. Suspect one of the stationary guns during destruction, issue also found in Beta Op. Totalize map
2/ Luttich started to CTD since Drawde's 1.1 patch about 5 - 10 minutes after gamestart.. No solid leads on this one.

For all Potential BTs and modders:
You will need,
FH2.2 and Fh2.21 patch
Dradew's 1.1 patch for fixes in Stuka bombing, AT and tanks using HE and bots using charges on tanks, etc

Just play around trying to see if you can pinpoint the issues with gameplay and code (We will reserve navmeshing BTs until we get a navmesh modder) and report any new issues we may have missed.

honestly, I do hope we get a big enough and united-enough team to make this worthwhile... And especially, if we can get our hands on a navmesher

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-04-2010, 19:04:27 »
Any more help with fixing/improving the FH2 AI is definitely welcome!

There are some things - such as bot usage of tank shell types - which I'm not sure are fixable any further than I've already done with my AI mod - there are many areas of BF2's AI where it seems like no matter how you set up the data files to encourage the bots to do something in a particular way, there's no guarantee that they'll actually do it. With tank shells, I suspect the problem is that the BF2 AI was never designed to handle multiple shell types for the same weapon, and there is a certain amount of randomness hard-coded into the bot weapons selection.

Other things, like placing (and clearing?) mines should definitely be doable - since bots know how to do this in vBF2 - but I've no idea how; are suitable mine locations part of the map script/navmesh, or do the bots work out where to put the mines without any need for scripting?

Fixing the commo rose (so bots will respond to commands as they did in vBF2) is on my list of things to try and do (and I've already done a bit of work on it) but if someone else wants to work on this instead, that'd be great (lately I've been focusing on trying to track down the Goodwood + Luttich CTDs, and after that I was going to look at revising the "AI armour class" system so bots recognise heavily armoured tanks and unarmoured vehicles when choosing what weapon/shell type to fire).
It should be fairly straightforward to fix the commo rose by comparing the FH2 .con files (they're in Menu\HUD\HudSetup\Communication\Comms) with the original BF2 ones. It'd also be good if bots could respond to commands with "OK" or "negative" as they do in vBF2 (using the speech files assigned to the PageUp + PageDown keys).

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-04-2010, 15:04:12 »
I've been following the sterling efforts of you guys here whilst testing SP within the team.  To avoid confusion on both sides I'll wait until you've had a chance to check out the next release before getting involved.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-04-2010, 16:04:04 »
Like in 2.25?

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-04-2010, 17:04:01 »
Not exactly, I'm running a newer build and can't discuss it before release, which can get tricky when comparing between 2.25, Drawde's patch and the latest beta.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-04-2010, 20:04:19 »
We appeciate... I just meant 2.25 had dismall SP with no new map. Anything you guys can do to help is much appreciated

Perhaps you may want to contact Drawde about HIS patch, alot of good things in that.. no need to reinvent the wheel... And perhaps add more bugs

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-04-2010, 06:04:16 »
True, there was no 2.25 maps for SP on release, but to his credit, Winterhilf gave us Anctoville shortly thereafter. It's not 100% done, but it plays great.

Don't forget he also gave us Goodwood-16, and beta versions of Falaise and Totalize within a week or so, probably to stop us whining... :)

Honestly, I'm just happy someone "official" is taking interest in SP, esp. now that Winterhilf's gone AWOL.

And speaking of, what's it gonna take for Drawde to be made an official FH SP Dev?

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-04-2010, 11:04:07 »
True, there was no 2.25 maps for SP on release, but to his credit, Winterhilf gave us Anctoville shortly thereafter. It's not 100% done, but it plays great.

Don't forget he also gave us Goodwood-16, and beta versions of Falaise and Totalize within a week or so, probably to stop us whining... :)

Honestly, I'm just happy someone "official" is taking interest in SP, esp. now that Winterhilf's gone AWOL.

And speaking of, what's it gonna take for Drawde to be made an official FH SP Dev?

I'll pass on what I can, but its kinda quiet in the SP camp right now.

As for being made or becoming a dev, it would probably take consistent work on SP over a period of time which gets noticed, or submission of an application to the team.

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-04-2010, 13:04:14 »
Drawde would have to contact the Devs, from my experience, not a single Dev is visiting this place of the forums.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-04-2010, 15:04:45 »
Too soon? Then how about official AI bug-squasher?  :)

I hope the devs know about the Stuka and AT gun fixes (in particular), they offer a HUGE improvement in the way SP maps play and require virtually no effort to implement.

It'd be a shame if they weren't applied to 2.26.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-04-2010, 18:04:46 »
To be honest I don't think I'd want to be an official FH2 dev even if I was offered the opportunity, I'm happy to work on AI fixes at my own pace but don't think I currently have enough spare time to work on the mod at the rate needed for official work, especially if it involves map testing. Also there are a lot of areas I have absolutely no experience with (map navmeshing for example) and with others, such as map AI scripting, I'm really learning as I go along.

However, I'd be more than happy for any of my AI fixes/tweaks (modified or adapted if necessary) to be incorporated into future FH2 releases. I think I recall a dev mentioning that the bomber bug (caused by the bomb models being reversed) had already been fixed; the AT gun aiming bug should also definitely be fixed (it's a mismatch between the AI control input settings and the input settings specified in the .tweak file for aiming the gun).