Author Topic: Inspiration Thread  (Read 9147 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration Thread
« Reply #15 on: 05-04-2009, 15:04:08 »
Download Google Earth.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #16 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:44 »
Well if Google Earth was already there in the 40's I might see some troop formations fighting but I don't really expect that.
I want to know in what villages the battle was fought. I don't want something like Crete, huge area made small.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:58 »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #18 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:10 »
Well, my plan has been to do a map somewhere in my local area.  Now, since I live in southern England, I'm obviously going to have to invent a scenario.  My inspiration for this are all the defences built along my local canal (which runs east west).  I'm thinking of doing a map involving a training battle between a local regiment and US troops stationed here in the run up to D-day.  I'm holding off on doing anything with the map until 2.2 comes out so I can focus on my exams in a cople of months.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:47 »
Wow thanks TS! Alot of text to read but this is going somewhere  :)
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:17 »
Well, my plan has been to do a map somewhere in my local area.  Now, since I live in southern England, I'm obviously going to have to invent a scenario.  My inspiration for this are all the defences built along my local canal (which runs east west).  I'm thinking of doing a map involving a training battle between a local regiment and US troops stationed here in the run up to D-day.  I'm holding off on doing anything with the map until 2.2 comes out so I can focus on my exams in a cople of months.

I also thought about a map set in my area. I mean my village was conquered by the Americans, but there wasn't a battle (the closest battle was in Paderborn I think).

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:34 »
I could make a map about my area. Operation Amherst would be fun to implement. Just have to wait for British SAS airborne playermodels and Dutch buildings. Would be a map with forests, open fields, alot of little canals, farms, small villages and objectives to destroy for the French SAS.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #22 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:41 »
Hmm, an idea just came into my mind.  Inspired by an episode of Dad's Army where 2 home guard units have a mock battle, I think I will make it a simulation of the Enborne LDV1 playing a trick on the hapless 377th PFA Battalion2 stationed in Benham Vallence.  I know the local area very well (even though its private land), and I reckon the map would have a certain character to it.  Plus, I can arm the LDV properly with M1917 Enfields and P14 snipers.  Might need a portable lewis though...

1 Fictional Unit (though could have potentially existed).
2 Parachute Field Artillery, attached to 502nd Infantry 101st Airborne.  Actually stationed there.
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 18:04:50 by Eat Uranium »

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #23 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:14 »
Hmm, an idea just came into my mind.  Inspired by an episode of Dad's Army where 2 home guard units have a mock battle, I think I will make it a simulation of the Enborne LDV1 playing a trick on the hapless 377th PFA Battalion2 stationed in Benham Vallence.  I know the local area very well (even though its private land), and I reckon the map would have a certain character to it.  Plus, I can arm the LDV properly with M1917 Enfields and P14 snipers.  Might need a portable lewis though...

1 Fictional Unit (though could have potentially existed).
2 Parachute Field Artillery, attached to 502nd Infantry 101st Airborne.  Actually stationed there.

Dad's Army for the common person: You stupid boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_NyEQpKLcU
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 18:04:42 by 101st Air Hawkeye »
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-04-2009, 19:04:12 »
I will start mapping when the Pacific comes out,

I CANT wait for a Battle of Königsberg map.. a large City whit various flags and tons of Bunkers.. attacked by a massiver uber army of angry russians. Late war germans against the USSR its a big piece of win

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-04-2009, 20:04:19 »
Königsberg? Isn't that the Karkand of RO?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05-04-2009, 20:04:31 »

I also thought about a map set in my area. I mean my village was conquered by the Americans, but there wasn't a battle (the closest battle was in Paderborn I think).

I also thought about something like this, as the american spearhead of attacked pierced right about 100 meter beneath me when closing in to the rhine. There is even a color movie footage of american shermans entering a village 7 or 8 kilometers away. The area here also has some neat places for a map, but I don't really have any idea what went on here in matters of fighting. Only read a few pages about the 88 battery in the neighbouring town and a eye witness report of the day before the americans marched in my hometown and the following day. Big colonnas of Opel Blitz on the retreat came threw. A StuG dug itself in at a crossroad near the market, but seemingly got other orders as it disappeared overnight. Next day the shermans came in, they seemed to be somewhat nervous because first they shot at pretty much everything that moved, but none was killed. Then they set up a command post and searched through all the houses, looking for left behind wehrmacht soldiers (and for souvenirs, watches etc.).

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-04-2009, 20:04:03 »
You know what would be awesome? a Berghof battle (Eagle Nest.. ofc a What If). MG Nest.. tons of tunnels whit ammo.. Flak 88.. Dug In Tiger II.. wow.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:32 »
That tunnels would be one hell of a static. Awesome.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05-04-2009, 22:04:04 »
The problem is.. i cant put tunnels.

I wonder ho do you make Caves like in PR "Korengal Valley" Map..