Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 905894 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #8475 on: 25-12-2016, 06:12:31 »
Turkish M60T Sabra captured near Al-Bab

Among other things, Daesh released a couple of pictures of at least two Leopards and one Otokar Cobra.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: 25-12-2016, 22:12:58 »

Turkisk Special Forces gather near the city of Al-Bab for an upcoming assault, Syria, December 25th, 2016.

Turkey is about to enter a new stage in Syria: Infantry assignment. Instead of supporting rebel militias with armoured forces, they bring their own mobilized infantry now. No wonder as the armoured forces didn't do that well lately without their own ground support, while the syrian rebel militias fail to take the city of Al-Bab.

Footage: Abkhazian Network News Agency (ANNA) reports from Syrian government frontlines with ISIS, Tiyas Airbase, eastern Homs governorate, Syria, December 24th, 2016, 1080p

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: 27-12-2016, 02:12:02 »
Haven't heard anything from Latakia mountains for a while...

M30 howitzer, Syrian Arab Army & Allies, Latakia mountains, Syria, December 26th, 2016.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: 27-12-2016, 04:12:06 »
And that pic demonstrates why ;)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: 27-12-2016, 22:12:16 »

Syrian Arab Army & Allies started an offensive on the rebel pocket of Wadi Barada, Al-Qalamoun, Syria, December 26th, 2016.

The pocket of Wadi Barada lies in the mountainous region north of Damascus, the settlements are arranged by a road situated in a valley, edged by mountains left and right. The southern mountains are government territory, the northern mountains rebel held.

Footage: Barrel bombs have been dropped on villages in the pocket of Wadi Barada, Al-Qalamoun, Syria, December 26th, 2016

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: 29-12-2016, 01:12:00 »
« Last Edit: 29-12-2016, 01:12:28 by Dukat »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: 30-12-2016, 01:12:29 »

ISIS presents pictures of an Otokar Cobra of the Turkish Armed Forces seized near Al-Bab, Syria, December 28th/29th, 2016.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: 30-12-2016, 09:12:20 »
So are the Turks exceptionally good at letting vehicles get captured or is ISIS exceptionally good at emphasising it in (social) media? I've never seen equipment getting captured in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: 30-12-2016, 18:12:21 »
So are the Turks exceptionally good at letting vehicles get captured or is ISIS exceptionally good at emphasising it in (social) media? I've never seen equipment getting captured in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Yes you have
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/20/isis-captures-hundreds-of-us-vehicles-and-tanks-in-ramadi-from-i.html

If gaming has taught me anything is that armor needs infantry support. I think the Turks deployed infantry after losing so many tanks. Either this or something along the lines of what happened after the coup, where Turkey apparently "Lost" ~40 helicopters. Now if these helicopters where to show up in the hands of ISIL (or Turkish backed militia), along with tanks, wouldn't that be quite a funny coincidence? ;)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: 30-12-2016, 19:12:39 »
Either this or something along the lines of what happened after the coup, where Turkey apparently "Lost" ~40 helicopters.

Source? I havent heard that, other than the two-three pro-coup helicopters shot down.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: 30-12-2016, 22:12:51 »
Yes you have
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/20/isis-captures-hundreds-of-us-vehicles-and-tanks-in-ramadi-from-i.html

Well yes but that was the Iraqi army on their retreat.
I didn't specify but I meant other Western armies like the US, UK and coalition during their Mali, Iraq and Afghanistan insurgency campaigns.

If gaming has taught me anything is that armor needs infantry support. I think the Turks deployed infantry after losing so many tanks.

Do they not teach military history in Turkey? Did they forget about the Russians in the Chechen wars? Basic military doctrine? They should fire whoever thought tanks could just stroll in unsupported.
« Last Edit: 30-12-2016, 22:12:57 by Sander93 »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: 30-12-2016, 23:12:15 »
^^ The tanks were not unsupported, I think the Free Syrian Army militias were meant to support them, or rather: the tanks were meant to support the militias. Unfortunately the Free Syrian Army in northern Aleppo consists mainly of young boys having barely any military training, being not on par with ISIS at all, though being peppered with a couple of veterans.

Military situation in Syria after start of the ceasefire, December 30th, 2016.

Extra:

Despite being bombed on the road between Raqqah and Al-Bab by the turkish airforce, ISIS reinforcements arrived at Al-Bab, Syria, December 29th, 2016.
« Last Edit: 31-12-2016, 00:12:08 by Dukat »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: 31-12-2016, 08:12:55 »
No "proper" source tho so far. Maybe you can find something in Turkish CNN?

Did an overall search  but couldnt find any trustworthy source to verify.

I really dont know why they dont use helis on Op. Euphrates Shield, while they are being frequently used in terror operations inside Turkey.

Outside Silivri Prison where the coup attempt suspects are held. 28 December 2016

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: 31-12-2016, 14:12:53 »
It's rumoured the israeli s lost a fair number of tanks in the Lebanon war of 2006 to atgm's. Max range on a Kornet is 5500 meter, even with infantry and half the range ,for the tank to be usefull they allways be vulnerable if they don't act from cover. Prettiy much like you see tanks doing in use with saa etc, shoot and scoot.
More helicopters and drones would help.