Author Topic: Pointe du Hoc 64  (Read 21300 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Pointe du Hoc 64
« on: 07-09-2009, 21:09:43 »
"If you have a suggestions or want to give us some Feedback about this Map you can Post it here!"

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
Re: Pointe du Hoc 64
« Reply #1 on: 07-09-2009, 22:09:54 »
More tickets. For both sides. Maybe double both sides'? Every game I've had (5 or 6 by now) has seen the Allies bleed out before they've really got started. Increasing both sides' tickets by the same margin would maintain the current balance but allow the map to go on longer and thus allow the 'back flags' to see real gameplay more often.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-09-2009, 22:09:03 »
I've never fought over the flags beyond Destroyed bunker to be honest :( More tickets could fix this :)

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-09-2009, 22:09:52 »
Most of the times I have played the Americans pushed the Germans all the way to the back flags.  They also won several times and destroyed the guns.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #4 on: 07-09-2009, 22:09:22 »
More tickets. For both sides. Maybe double both sides'? Every game I've had (5 or 6 by now) has seen the Allies bleed out before they've really got started. Increasing both sides' tickets by the same margin would maintain the current balance but allow the map to go on longer and thus allow the 'back flags' to see real gameplay more often.
I think it's just about time and getting to learn the map, no need for increasing the tickets. People just gotta start learning, adopt and overcome.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-09-2009, 22:09:49 »
Only thing I'd do would consider about the HEAT nades for germans, other than that... I wouldnt rush.

Offline Lobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-09-2009, 00:09:56 »
Most of the times I have played the Americans pushed the Germans all the way to the back flags.  They also won several times and destroyed the guns.

The same

if your feeling is wrong, Meadow, and we double the tickets the americans will win always, the key factor is the Vierling flag, once americans cap it, all the other flags fall easily: it's the kind of terrain, the moral boost or je ne sais quoi but if you are german you can surrender if you didn't resist enough in the first 3 flags and americans have not a big tickets disadvantage when they take, secure and hold Vierling,

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-09-2009, 00:09:18 »
Fair enough. If those helpful win/loss stats that you somehow get hold of, Lobo, show that the Allies lose most of the time it might be an idea to up their tickets by maybe 20%, just to see if that gives them the momentum to carry on. But you're right, getting past the Vierling flag does have an effect - it's just that at the moment, with so many noobs about, it doesn't happen very often. Those three first flags just randomly change hands and everyone runs between them.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #8 on: 08-09-2009, 01:09:35 »
Couple of notes:

1. Dummy cap points. The flag-less cap points on the edge of the cliff capping which allows Americans to gain a foothold and those by the guns have very technical in-game names that show up in the messages like “Allies took control over Dummy_Bunker_64” or somesuch. Would be nice if they would have normal if even generic names. Also it seemed like Axis could cap them back to no effect on gameplay (only message would show up). By the way, do you get cap points for these?

2. Ambient sounds. The sound of breakers (surf) on the shore abruptly changes to “distant fire” sound only few meters away from the cliff. In reality that sound would probably carry on for couple hundred meters or more. I don’t know if the engine supports sources and distance fading of ambient sounds so they could overlap, but it could be solved by creating couple more zones inland with files combining receding sound of waves with increasing sound of “distant fire”.

3. The main allied barge with command post on it, has the lower deck for troops/vehicles, but once you enter it, there seemed no way to get out, I had to suicide. Could be solved by providing small vertical ladders next to gangways on each board sternside by the superstructure.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Ryan3332

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-09-2009, 02:09:16 »
Make the dome of death time from 2 seconds to 4 seconds near the cliffs because sometimes you might not have enough sprint to get out of the dome of death or you wont react fast enough and then you unnecessarily get hurt.

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #10 on: 08-09-2009, 13:09:29 »
My vote goes for more tickets too. Sure that the allies need to learn the map, but its a really hard fight in the beginning which costs time, and the walking distances get longer and longer with each flag which consumes a lot of time too. The fight should definately last longer.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-09-2009, 21:09:04 »
...and the walking distances get longer and longer with each flag which consumes a lot of time too.

Bleed will stop after capping Destroyed Bunker iirc, so then your fight will last longer.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
General Spammy-ness of Point du Hoc
« Reply #12 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:23 »
Let me first start out by saying that I love PDH and I think it's a beautifully made map. Aesthetics aside though, I kind of don't have much fun playing it when it comes up in the rotation. I really WANT to love this map but I think the huge amount of spam and run/gun detracts from the experience quite a bit.

The combination of 64 players + grenades +rifle grenades + mortars + commander artillery all in a relatively small area is a potent mixture of spam. It makes it hard for the battle to have any organization or coherence. Especially when the battle reaches the Destroyed Bunker, the game degenerates to charging, throwing nades, and dying. ALOT. It's a shame because there are lots of possibilities, but when people are dying constantly, often a second or two after spawning they tend not to care anymore about working together or preserving tickets.

So with my complaints over, what suggestions do you all have to reduce the spam on this map? I figured it might be most beneficial for everyone to put in their two cents.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
Re: General Spammy-ness of Point du Hoc
« Reply #13 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:59 »
Remove grenades xD

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: General Spammy-ness of Point du Hoc
« Reply #14 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:47 »
I really like it the way it is now. If you know how to move around the labirinth of shell holes you can surprise your enemy quite well. Give yourself some time to adjust.