Author Topic: [FIX] Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) BF2 crash to desktop  (Read 43566 times)

Offline 25tH-Rome

• Scharfschutzeeeeeee!
    • View Profile
[FIX] Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) BF2 crash to desktop
« on: 22-06-2010, 03:06:21 »
Everything you do that is described in this topic is done on your own risk, if something goes wrong I am not responsible.

Part 1 - Removing bad installation of BF2. If you have not yet installed BF2 please move onto part 2.

To delete the save files:

1. Click the Start button on the Windows Taskbar.
2. Select My Documents.
3. Right-click the Battlefield 2 folder and select Delete.

To delete the game files (in the default location):

2. Select My Computer.
3. Double-click the C: drive.
4. Double-click the Program Files folder. If you are using 64bit it's "Program Files (x86)".
5. Double-click the EA GAMES folder.
6. Right-click the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
7. Close all open windows.
8. Right-click the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.

To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:   ONLY EDIT THE REGISTRY IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH IT, YOU CAN SERIOUSLY HARM YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM IF YOU DO SOMETHING WRONG!!

2. Select Run. (Windows key + R if you can't see it)
3. Type regedit in the text field and click OK.
4. Click File and select Export.
5. Name the file "Backup" (without the quotation marks) and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
6. Click Save. (You will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.)
7. Click the plus (+) sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
8. Click the plus (+) sign next to Software. 64Bit versions of Windows only - Click the plus (+) sign next to Wow6432Node.
9. Click the plus (+) sign next to DICE.
10. Right-click the Battlefield 2 folder and select Delete.
11. Right-click the Battlefield 2: Armored Fury folder (if applicable) and select Delete.
12. Click the plus (+) sign next to Electronic Arts.
13. Right-click any Battlefield 2 folders and select Delete. On my Windows 7 Pro 64bit installation I have "Battlefield 2 Patch", "\EA CORE\INSTALLED GAMES\EAGAMES\BF2-2006\ONLINE_CONTENT\BF2-EP1", "\EA Games\Battlefield 2" and finally "\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Special Forces".
14. Click the plus (+) sign next to Microsoft.
15. Click the plus (+) sign next to Windows.
16. Click the plus (+) sign next to CurrentVersion.
17. Click the plus (+) sign next to Uninstall.
18. Right-click the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} and select Delete. This is for Battlefield 2.
19. A Confirm Key Delete window will appear; select Yes.
20. Right-click the key named {50D4CB89-AF34-4978-96DC-C3034062E901} and select Delete. This is for Battlefield 2: Special Forces. This key might not always be present.
21. A Confirm Key Delete window will appear; select Yes.
22. Close the Windows Registry Editor.

To delete the InstallShield Installation Information files:
1. Go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. For 64bit go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information".
* If you cannot find this folder you may have to go to Tools > Folder Settings and click the setting to "SHOW hidden folders."
2. Find the folders with the exact same values as the registry keys above and delete them. These should be {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} and {50D4CB89-AF34-4978-96DC-C3034062E901}.
3. Right-click the Recycle Bin and select Empty Recycle Bin.

To delete temporary user files (Windows XP)
1. Go to the "C:\Documents & Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp\" folder.
* If you cannot find this folder you may have to go to Tools > Folder Settings and click the setting to "SHOW hidden folders."
2. Select all the files (Press CTRL+A), right click and select delete. Some files may be in use by antivirus/security software so these will not allow you to delete them. If this happens select as many files as you can and delete those.

To delete temporary user files (Windows Vista/7)
1. Go to the "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp" folder.
2. Select all the files (Press CTRL+A), right click and select delete. Some files may be in use by antivirus/security software so these will not allow you to delete them. If this happens press skip to carry on deleting the other files.

Battlefield 2 should now be completely removed from your system.

Restart your computer after removing BF2!!!

Part 2 - Installing BF2

1. Disable UAC if on Vista/7 and reboot your PC.
2. Insert BF2 DVD, close anything that auto runs and then view contents of DVD, right click Setup.exe and select Run as Admin. Notice you do not get prompted to confirm Admin Rights as UAC is turned off.
3. Follow installation instructions to install BF2, if our installation appears to hang after setting up the VoIP settings and before the installation of Gamespy, open the task manager->processes, find BF2VoiceSetup.exe, right click and select end process - NOT END PROCESS TREE!
4. Reboot to finish installation of BF2.
5. Once restarted patch to version 1.41 by right clicking the patch and select run as admin. Do not restart after patching.
6. Insert BF2 - Special Forces DVD, close anything that auto runs, view DVD contents, right click setup.exe and select run as admin.
7. Once Special Forces is installed re-run patch 1.41 by right clicking it and selecting Run as Admin.
8. Once BF2 and Special Forces are patched to 1.41 then patch to 1.5 by right clicking patch 1.5 and select run as admin.
9. Once you have finished patching to 1.5 then right click the shortcut within the start menu for BF2 and select run as admin.
10. Download PBSetup.exe from punkbuster to manually update BF2.
11. Once everything is installed and patched and Punkbuster is also updated right click on the BF2 shortcut and select properties. Open compatibility tab and then select run as admin. Click Ok.
12. Hopefully if you have followed these instructions you can now play BF2 with Special Forces patched to version 1.5 and it will not crash to desktop!!!
« Last Edit: 22-06-2010, 04:06:58 by 25tH-Rome »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: [FIX] Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) BF2 crash to desktop
« Reply #1 on: 22-06-2010, 07:06:54 »
Part 2 - Installing BF2
1. Disable UAC if on Vista/7 and reboot your PC.

Actually, that was the only thing I had to do to prevent BF2/FH2 from crashing. (Win7 Professional 64)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline 25tH-Rome

• Scharfschutzeeeeeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-06-2010, 13:06:18 »
I had to do it all before it worked here :/

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #3 on: 23-06-2010, 10:06:01 »
For some reason I don't have to do anything, Vanilla BF2 runs like a charm without starting it special or whatsoever, FH2 and other mods however have to be runned as admin or else it says the .exe is wrong.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline 25tH-Rome

• Scharfschutzeeeeeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-06-2010, 15:06:20 »
Hmm, then I think its a typical Windows/Microsoft thing again.. AKA, random crap, lol.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #5 on: 23-06-2010, 17:06:16 »
how you managed to install sf after 1.41? for me it always refused to work if I tried to do so  :P
CMP Gaming

Offline mistamontiel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-06-2012, 07:06:09 »
Salutations. I JUST bought the BF2 Complete Collection, retail, one DVD. The only thing I can't do is play Special Forces expansion

I used BF2's lone installer so I can choose destination of choice. I recall even right after that, v1.0, I tried installing Special Forces expansion, but it won't.

It tries to install patch v1.1 but does not, and does not proceed past that. I read that using v1.41 and the v1.5 final patch includes it, I am seeing it under Community, I load, BF2 tries to and crashes to desktop
« Last Edit: 08-06-2012, 07:06:12 by mistamontiel »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-06-2012, 08:06:17 »
Hi, I found this online, try it. :)
Here is the process for installing BF2 AND SF (a.k.a.-BF2 CompleteCollection/a.k.a.-BF2 DeluxeEdition/a.k.a.-BF2 w/expansion+booster pack):
Install BF2
Install 1.41 (Yes, i know... Do it anyway!)
Install SF
Install 1.41 again
Install 1.5 (AF & EF are now included in this 1.5 patch for free and will be installed at this point by simply running this patch. They do not require registration, serials or activation anymore. Do NOT use the discs that came in the BF2 CC box to install AF & EF. No one has told those discs that registration, serials or activation for AF & EF is no longer required OR supported! Trust me on this one.)
Update PunkBuster

Here is the process for installing BF2 WITHOUT SF (a.k.a.-BF2/a.k.a-BF2+booster pack):
Install BF2
Install 1.41
Install 1.5 (AF & EF are now included in this 1.5 patch for free and will be installed at this point by simply running this patch. They do not require registration, serials or activation anymore. Do NOT use the discs that came in the BF2 CC box to install AF & EF. No one has told those discs that registration, serials or activation for AF & EF is no longer required OR supported! Trust me on this one.)
Update PunkBuster

1.41 - http://battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/bf2/

1.5 - http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload/Battlefield-2-Patch-Download-6967.html

PunkBuster Update - http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.

Offline mistamontiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-06-2012, 07:06:14 »
WOW it works :) It was funny because I have BF2 in my H:\ drive, yet during SF installer v1.1 patch complained that I needed 2,400 megs of space LOL but then SF detected my BF2 folder and proceeded to install

And running the v1.41 patcher the second time, it was actually smart enough to know what needs updating and not..so it was faster and then v1.5 installed perfectly

Now I can ride jetskis  8) The nightvision goggles, the tear gas / flashbang effects, really nice !! It is not free though..I had to fix my registry entry in order to join a BF2 xpack server, it will not go online using BF2 key

Cheers DLFReporter
« Last Edit: 08-06-2012, 07:06:07 by mistamontiel »

Offline tiger1elite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-06-2012, 21:06:57 »
I have installed FH2 to Desura, which seems to work the best on windows 7. However, the game consistently crashes to the desktop after about 20 minutes of play (singleplayer. internet=bad connection). I know my computer has oodles of computing space as it is very powerful and new and runs very fast. Any ideas anyone?

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-07-2012, 02:07:36 »
How do I disable UAC?

Recently (today) crashing repeatedly, getting a "Service communication error: PnkbusterB.exe PB Error heartbeat error" or something like that just before crashing. Wouldn't be the first time I've got it, but first time it caused game to freeze, then CTD.

Help? Can barely get a minute in before CTD on server...

Oh, also, is it bad that when it freezes I have to use Task Manager to shut it down? Since a bunch of things seem to say "Always exit properly", so I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: 02-07-2012, 02:07:55 by AwesomeReaper »

Offline merc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-07-2012, 10:07:06 »
** Additional Fixes**

Hi,
I've done ALL of the above and still have random CTD, but after much messing around I've manage to fix it.

In addition to the above I have done 3 extra fixes;
A.)  DEP fix
B.)  Punkbuster / Firewall fix
C.)  Audio Fix

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A.) DEP Fix:

1. Right click on My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Performance Settings
2. Under Data Execution Prevention Tab select 2nd radio button (turn on DEP for all except...)
3. Click add - browse BF2 install dir and select bf2.exe
(if your using a mod that has a separate .exe, you should also add that to the exception list)
4. Ok / Apply and reboot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B.) Firewall Fix:

Download and run pbsvc.exe from evanbalance
(http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsvcfaq.php)

Run test and make sure all answers are green (no blue or red)

If it says;

C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe   NO
Is PnkBstrB explicitly allowed?
C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe   NO

..then you need to clear both of these executables through the windows firewall, and run the test again.
OR you can disable the firewall: Start --> type firewall --> Windows Firewall --> Turn Windows Firewall on or off

Same goes for any 3rd party firewalls.

When the test comes up all green your all good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C.) Sound Fix:

Launch BF2 and go to Audio Options and disable EAX (uncheck box)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 13-07-2012, 14:07:36 by merc »
XFX-n680-iSH9 SLi
Intel QX6850
nVidia GTX 680 4Gb
8Gb GSkill 1066Mhz RAM
Enermax DXX10 Galaxy 1000W SLi
Win7 x64

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-07-2012, 12:07:51 »
Thank you for your help Merc!

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-07-2012, 16:07:13 »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A.) DEP Fix:

3. Click add - browse BF2 install dir and select bf2.exe

I think FH2 has its own executable -  ForgottenHope2.exe, so making exception for BF2.exe won't help with DEP. Am I wrong?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-07-2012, 20:07:41 »
That's true, I over read that bit.
You should change that in your description merc.