Author Topic: Review the latest book you have read  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest book you have read
« Reply #15 on: 29-07-2009, 21:07:53 »
Well. LOTR and Harry Potters are good books. The Bible is not. And way too many take it too seriously.

Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Coca-Cola

• [130.Pz.]A.Aasen
    • View Profile
    • MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE
« Reply #16 on: 30-07-2009, 05:07:21 »
Well. LOTR and Harry Potters are good books. The Bible is not. And way too many take it too seriously.

Yeah but as far as fanboys go, the Bible is tops.
MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE: http://andersgarvin.wix.com/portfolio#!home/mainPage

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-07-2009, 10:07:00 »
That's just plain silly. I said "screw the Bible" and "screw Lord of the Rings" in the same sentence.
Nobody has answered to the Bible comment yet, but NTH already wants to send me the head of a dead... humanoid. Thorondor even only quoted the screw [enter overhyped book here] part...
But well... I'll just quote Irv Kupcinet (Chicago Sun-Times columnist 1943-2003):

What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?

I'd say we've moved on  ;D

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Biiviz

« Reply #18 on: 30-07-2009, 10:07:36 »
Why don't you like the LOTR books, Wraith?

Offline Wraith

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-07-2009, 14:07:14 »
I'm not saying I don't like them, they are just incredibly overhyped. Same goes for Harry Potter.
When the movies came out you could buy all of the books right at the entrance of the bookstore for ridiculously high prices, even though they were almost 50 years old.
Actually, LOTR is a good, well-written story. I just don't think it's better than The Godfather.

Talking about overhyped books, do you have that Twilight hype in the US, too?

Biiviz

« Reply #20 on: 30-07-2009, 14:07:29 »
I'm not saying I don't like them, they are just incredibly overhyped. Same goes for Harry Potter.
When the movies came out you could buy all of the books right at the entrance of the bookstore for ridiculously high prices, even though they were almost 50 years old.
Actually, LOTR is a good, well-written story. I just don't think it's better than The Godfather.

Funny story, I never saw the Godfather or read any of the books.

That's probably where the hype came from.

Offline Wraith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-07-2009, 15:07:16 »
Yuck... Twilight...
I never understood how girls could be that fond of a pale, rotting, undead abomination with the abilities of an oversized mosquito.
Couldn't that be considered necrophilia??

But let's not shift too far away from the topic.
I'm going to Jamaica for two weeks and I'm still looking for a good book to enjoy on the beach. Has anybody got a suggestion for me? I'd prefer a good thriller.

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-07-2009, 16:07:40 »
what is reading?
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-07-2009, 16:07:07 »

Oh, you have no idea.

I would like to apologize for what we have unleashed upon the world.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-07-2009, 16:07:37 »

Yep, that's pretty much the entire plot.

No, seriously, I opened it up to a random page and had to stop after one paragraph because the syntax was so wretched. They had several sentences without verbs! In one paragraph! An entire paragraph without verbs devoted to bitching about school being boring!
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-07-2009, 16:07:03 »
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-07-2009, 16:07:50 »
+rep

I need to quote that somewhere too.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #27 on: 30-07-2009, 17:07:44 »
Haha, I got so much crap when we were talking about the Twilight movie in the FH2 IRC channel

Haven't read the book but I think the movie is watchable. Boring romantic high school dramas are so dull. But, throw in some vampires and you got a decent parody.

I loved the scene when Bella sits on the vampires back and he starts running. Looked so wrong and so bad.

Any how, I'm about to finish that book about the two Russo-Chechen wars, don't know the English title. Colors of War maybe. Arkadji Babtjenko I think the authors name is, haven't got the book here.

About to finish it and it has so far been a very good and interesting read. A modern "All quiet on the western front"

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-07-2009, 17:07:01 »
Haha, I got so much crap when we were talking about the Twilight movie in the FH2 IRC channel

Here we go again...

;)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31-07-2009, 22:07:29 »
Yuck... Twilight...
I never understood how girls could be that fond of a pale, rotting, undead abomination with the abilities of an oversized mosquito.
Couldn't that be considered necrophilia??

But let's not shift too far away from the topic.
I'm going to Jamaica for two weeks and I'm still looking for a good book to enjoy on the beach. Has anybody got a suggestion for me? I'd prefer a good thriller.

You could read :

Mo Hayder : The Devil of Nanking (Tokyo) linkhttp://www.mohayder.net/reviews.html

Let me know what you think of it.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)