Author Topic: FH2 crashes when changing maps.  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
FH2 crashes when changing maps.
« on: 21-11-2010, 14:11:42 »
All night long I have been playing FH2, and everytime I load a map and the map ends; when there's the time to change into another, FH2 crashes. And it happened like 12 times already and its driving me insane and Im tired of FH2 crashing so I can get into another server and the same thing happens over and over again.

Any suggestions?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 crashes when changing maps.
« Reply #1 on: 21-11-2010, 18:11:13 »
How much memory does your PC have?
And this is better posted in the Help section.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-11-2010, 19:11:20 »
How much memory does your PC have?
And this is better posted in the Help section.

4GB DDR3 ram.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-11-2010, 19:11:09 »
Possible a defect RAM stick?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-11-2010, 19:11:12 »
Possible a defect RAM stick?

No, all is running fine. The game starts fine, i get into a server and when the round ends and the new level is loading then it crashes.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-11-2010, 11:11:10 »
Difficult problem to deal with. How memory is consumed while playing FH2? Are there superflous program running in the background that you can kill.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-11-2010, 11:11:38 »
No, all is running fine. The game starts fine, i get into a server and when the round ends and the new level is loading then it crashes.

Could still be a RAM problem, since BF2 doesn't really clear it's old memory dump. And when a critical level is reached it will break down. Had the same problem with a lad on a german forum a few days back. He checked his RAM by removing and exchanging the sticks+rebooting on each and then he found out that one was faulty.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-11-2010, 14:11:40 »
sometimes even simple things like closing firefox before starting to play fh2 can help.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline 4Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-01-2011, 15:01:32 »
Have to say, I have been having a very similar problem of late and I have 8Gb DDR3 RAM and it doesn't cause problems for any other games which take up far more resources. 

Don't know if it's anything to do with having Win7 64bit or not.  I've had this new PC since last March and I don't remember it being a problem until quite recently.  could it be anything to do with the latest FH patch 2.3 - probably not?  continues to scratch head!  Could be a memory leak but then if it was many more people would be reporting it.

I'm sure for me this problem is specific to FH2, as I haven't seen it in PR or AIX2.0 yet though I don't play them as much as FH2 is the the dogs dangly bits (it's awsome).   

General question then - how do others find FH2 and Windows7 - more or less stable?

I've deleted the FH2 cache folders so will see if it continues.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-01-2011, 15:01:35 »
I've been running FH2 on Win7 64bit without any problems now for a while and I believe it has a lot to do with where you install BF2/FH2 and at what settings you run your user access control (UAC). I have mine all off and I've installed BF2 to another partition on my PC and haven't had any problems since.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-01-2011, 16:01:27 »
for me it runs better on win 7(64bit) than on xp(32 bit).

i guess mostly due to having more ram avaible.
yes the ram limit for 32bit processes like BF2 is still 2Gb but i now can use all my 4GB compared to the previous 3,x GB so i have more "spare" ram that other applications like firefox, winamp etc can use.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-01-2011, 17:01:10 »
It runs fine for me on Win7 64 bit.
If you really want to get to bottom of this you could run source monitor from the task mananger. It's somewhere in the performance tab.
This will show you I/O usage, memory consumption and CPU usage. Let it run before you start FH2 and if it crashes take a look at the history.
The thing is, it won't tell what caused excessive usages or ctd's, but perhaps can point to faulty hardware.
« Last Edit: 05-01-2011, 10:01:33 by NTH »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-01-2011, 19:01:43 »
Great tip NTH. I didn't know about the Resource Manager before.
One hell of a nifty tool. Might become my Nr. 2 after the windows snipping tool now! ^^

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-01-2011, 15:01:05 »
I also have the same problem sometimes. Well quite often actually, and every time Operation Cobra ends it happen, with no exception. Im also pretty sure it happen more than usual on the end of Villers Bocage aswell. I thought it was a server problem since i also think it happened alot more on the 762 server (or whatever those numbers were) than hslan. But i guess thats a random impression.
 Though ill check out your suggestions when i have time. Thanks  :)

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: 28-01-2011, 15:01:45 »
Same here, it seems to happen when certain maps end and others start loading.
I'm on Win XP32 and I'm thinking of upgrading within the next few month to Win7. I thought there were problems running FH2 in Win7? If not, which Win 7 is best suited 32 or 64?
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI