Author Topic: Neverwinter nights incredibly slow - solved  (Read 5980 times)

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
Neverwinter nights incredibly slow - solved
« on: 27-03-2012, 21:03:33 »
After i burned my GeForce 7600 on Fallout NV, i bought from friend GeForce GT 220. Everything runs better with it, apart from NwN. The game is somewhat slowed down with new card, even in main menu. I re-installed nwn without any improvement, patch 1.69 didnt helped. I tried to update graphic drivers, then tried two older versions, all of it without succes. So i thought someone of you might know whats wrong, or what are the options to fix it.

My specs are:
Win XP SP 3
Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 220
« Last Edit: 13-04-2012, 20:04:14 by DaWorg! »
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter nights incredibly slow - help please
« Reply #1 on: 27-03-2012, 21:03:43 »
Hmm could it be that your older CPU is limiting it somehow? Some components just don't "get along" sometimes...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-03-2012, 21:03:37 »
I guess i should experience similar problems in other games, if that was the case  :-\
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-03-2012, 22:03:01 »
I'm playing NWN fine with my GeForce 210, thats on highest graphic settings. It has overheated a few times on me though, but not as much as on other games. So I don't really know whats wrong here. You could try lowering the game's graphics settings but then it looks rather crap.

To add:
Both of these are probably the cheapest yet functional pieces of garbage out there. So you get what you pay for here. I myself will try and get an upgrade in the future. Go to used parts store and you might find one the same price as this but better.
« Last Edit: 27-03-2012, 22:03:28 by Korsakov829 »

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-03-2012, 00:03:51 »
Im getting new rig in some 3-4 months so upgrade now is somewhat pointless.
But cards performance isnt an issue. I played it on best settings with old 7600 GS. It gone to hell after installation of this "new" GeForce. Weird part is, that GT 220 should be supported by NwN

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-03-2012, 01:03:29 »
Stay away from Windows 7 if you can. I regret not waiting for something else because I'm getting some incompatability issues with NWN. It plays fine with the occasional crash to desktop but what really bothers me is that I can no longer 24/7 host my dedicated server, at least not like I used to.

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-03-2012, 21:03:17 »
Still better than not being able to run it though  ;)

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31-03-2012, 15:03:08 »
Make sure you have the latest ForceWare drivers for GeForce - IIRC some older drivers gave huge performance losses with new GeForce in NWN.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-04-2012, 06:04:49 »
Get more ram assap, at least 4gb, then update all your graphic card drivers, you should see a diference in perfomance.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01-04-2012, 11:04:48 »
4 gigs of RAM to play Neverwinter Nights? Come on.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-04-2012, 20:04:57 »
I reinstalled windows, and it works fine. I think it was caused by some leftover drivers for old card. They must have been hidden in system though, since i didn't found them.