Author Topic: End Bunny-Hopping and Dive-shooting!  (Read 2084 times)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
End Bunny-Hopping and Dive-shooting!
« on: 14-04-2014, 17:04:29 »
This is a great mod and a decent update.  The one thing that continues to ruin public play however is the hit-box manipulation tactics used by some players, namely Bunny-Hopping and what I call here Dive-Shooting.  These are totally unrealistic and makes you feel like your playing CounterStrike or something.

Dive-Shooting is when one goes prone and fires an aimed shot instantly.  There should be some recover time where you cant fire your gun like what happens when you jump.  That should be easy to fix, right?

Everybody knows what Bunny-Hopping is.  Maybe just make it so that there is 1 second between jumps.  That alone would end the stupid bouncing around that some do.  Bring back the hated endurance bar if you have to. 

I really think that this would have a big impact on public play.  It's not just a minor suggestion.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
Re: End Bunny-Hopping and Dive-shooting!
« Reply #1 on: 14-04-2014, 17:04:35 »
Well it was claimed that dolphin diving was somehow disabled and I can agree with it partially. Unfortunately it doesn't refer to all mgs - when player while getting prone fire, he can shoot you from really long distance. Another thing is maybe not bunny hopping (because when you jump, your sights are spreading), but there's other "tactic" which relies on standing - proning - all hit indicators are being messed up...

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-04-2014, 18:04:49 »
Both proning and jumping increase you're deviation quite a bit (you can test this with an SMG). Furthermore, I really never see anyone doing bunny-hopping or dolphin diving. When someone happens to do that, they're just making themselves an easier target.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-04-2014, 18:04:33 »
That's not true. You don't believe how manny bunnies found a habitat on the Omaha beach. In some phase of "flight" the hitbox does not seem to properly work. Same goes for diving. People that bunny hop don't want to kill someone, they want to evade bullets. The deviation is therefore not relevant. The diving can be annoying at times as well, but it does not give an considerable advantage to them, because when the animation is finished they are an easy target on the ground and they indeed use it in fighting situations so deviation is an argument here.

I personally don't mind it too much, but a tiny bit more delay until you can shoot when prone is a good suggestion I think. Bunny hoppers just ridicule themselves, can be annoying, but they usually can only evade, but not get an advantage to kill you. Saw lots of people doing it on Omaha anyway. If it's fun to them - okay. Every grown up player knows it's stupid and kills the atmosphere though.
« Last Edit: 14-04-2014, 18:04:42 by Surfbird »

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-04-2014, 18:04:15 »
I should have been more clear.

Bunny-hoppers are trying to avoid getting killed.  I heard that the hit box becomes distorted when the player is in vertical motion.  The dolphin divers are exploiting the same thing and they can fire while diving which makes the tactic more effective.  I usually encounter this when I run into a guy around a corner and he dives and shoots simultaneously.  Hopping and diving to avoid bullets is OK IMO as long as they don't bounce around continuously like a kangaroo and the dive-shoot is just unrealistic.  If they fixed it for MGs, good, but it should apply to all weapons.  You cant shoot immediately after or during a jump, the same should be true for proning.  I guess shoot-crouching is OK.

(because when you jump, your sights are spreading)
I'm talking FH2 here.

BTW, I know these are favorite tactics of many soulless twitchers so I expect some disinformation here, but as we say in 'Murica "Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining!"
« Last Edit: 14-04-2014, 18:04:11 by GeoPat »

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-04-2014, 18:04:17 »
(because when you jump, your sights are spreading)
I'm talking FH2 here.

Me too... But maybe I didn't explain clear enough, so I'll say simplier - the accuracy decreases.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-04-2014, 19:04:58 »
I notice that the jumping animation pulls the rifle to the side. The going prone animation should do the same.  Right now you can stay aimed and shoot during the animation.  The accuracy isn't really the issue.  It's just inhuman to shoot while falling to the ground, unless you're Jason Bourne.  You have to wait until the going prone animation ends.  Continuously hopping like a kangaroo is also inhuman even for fit soldiers.  1 second between hops would stop the practice and still keep jumping useful for everyone else. 
Maybe the endurance bar is not necessary.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-04-2014, 20:04:32 »
There isn't even an endurance bar... and disabling weapons after proning is impossible, all you can do is making the deviation larger so you can't hit reliably. This we already do on all weapons, so if somebody hits you after diving it is either because you were right in his face (in which case all bets are off anyway) or because he is lucky. Of course, if you have a machine gun that shoots 1200 bullets per second, deviation is not as big of a factor as with a bolt action rifle.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-04-2014, 20:04:33 »
There isn't even an endurance bar
I had suggested bringing it back and implied making jumps use endurance, but maybe that is overkill.

and disabling weapons after proning is impossible
So are these just BF2 engine things?

Yes the diving thing is mostly a close range issue.  It just seems silly that the guy who hits the prone button first wins the face-off.  I didn't even bring up the left-right shuffle some resort to when having a rifle duel (Achtung).  Some days it makes me want to go play Napoleonic Wars.  They may have dressed like women but they stood and fought like men damn it!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-04-2014, 22:04:40 »
Dolphin dive is only shadow of its golden days. It used to be good tactic at any range, in any situation. I know, because I did it  ::). It's not very valid tactic anymore and I switched to crouch shooting years ago.

As for bunny hopping, I feel it mostly just looks silly and really doesn't help all that much.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-04-2014, 23:04:06 »
Bring back the hated endurance bar if you have to.
:-* :-* :-* I'm in! The sprint bar, or the stamina bar, always added a little extra to the game for me and I still miss it.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-04-2014, 21:04:34 »
Bring back the hated endurance bar if you have to.
:-* :-* :-* I'm in! The sprint bar, or the stamina bar, always added a little extra to the game for me and I still miss it.

So for you stealing enemy vehicles is unrealistic, but unable to run after 10 seconds is realistic?  ::)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-04-2014, 23:04:21 »
It's scaled of course, but yes, it is more realistic than a soldier with full equipment being able to run for an unlimited amount of time.

Tip: don't overuse the  ::)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16-04-2014, 01:04:07 »
I wouldn't mind the sprint bar back if we were able to run for at least few minutes before it goes down. If it won't be too limited then it actually would be more realistic than ulimited run always, considering the equipment thing etc, but if we would introduce such thing it would be close to useless since need of such long run in game is IMO very rare.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-04-2014, 19:04:10 »
I would suggest the return of the sprint bar with the running speed increased. When you need to run, it is usually to escape or evade. In such a situatuation, you can run really fast even with webbing and equipment but only for a short time. Therefore I would like to suggest a very high running speed with a time limit of 30s.