Author Topic: Men of War -thread  (Read 11740 times)

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
Re: My new favorite game: Men of War (Review)
« Reply #30 on: 24-05-2010, 23:05:50 »
MoW - No Skirmish Mode = COH > MoW.

About that, one very big advantage of this game over CoH is that this infantry can actually use tanks for cover. One of the few major downsides of CoH has always been that there seemed to be no harmony between tanks and infantry. It's all about cover, yet infantry cant use tanks for it. Tanks also drive way faster than infantry can run. It was always more like having infantry move in front as targetpractice for the enemy so your tanks could move in unharmed and begin their rape. If there was one thing I could change it was the gameplay for infantry and tank combos which should include the above aswell as perhaps bonusses, like less damage taken for the infantry and larger sight radius for tanks.
« Last Edit: 24-05-2010, 23:05:38 by Sander93 »

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25-05-2010, 00:05:36 »
There is actually a mod for Men of War that adds "skirmish" mode its called DCG
Dynamic Campaign Generator it has lots of maps and vehicles way more than in MP
and you can buy Units from specific divisions like the GrossDeutschland

Its different from standard skirmish because you start a campaign in any given date and faction you are
given points and buy units and vehicles with that points there are also a limit in what you can
buy depending on the real availability of those Example: Konigstigers are very rare and you are lucky if you can buy even one, the maps are displayed in a big "front" like map where you choose where to attack next
so you win the points and capture that territory by winning that map, When you capture the whole map or capture their HQ the campaign ends and you can start another one with the forces you already have.

The Units, weapons and vehicles depend a lot in the time you are Example In 1940 there are lots of units that have captured weapons like polish mg`s or other non-standard issue weapons and Pz III are way more available than Pz IV E or G

If anyone wants to play any day my online name is GrauWolf

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25-05-2010, 00:05:11 »
I have the DCG, it's ok but the AI is nothing to brag about.

I pay too much attention to the inventories of units in this game.  I always spend tiime making sure that at least 1 guy has an smg in every rifle squad, and I spend a lot of time giving people cool hats.  Probably why I suck at this game.  Still always a blast.

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-05-2010, 00:05:59 »
The AI is really plain stupid but sometimes it understands there is someone else on the map killing his units
but there is really nothing to do about it because its a scripted AI, it doesn't thinks by itself
he follows a command line and they can`t fix it for the DCG because its randomized and would need to script AI for every single map, anyway its fun when you can`t play online for any reason and the feeling of getting higher level weapons like in a RPG is nice too, sooner or later you will feel to close to your soldiers and when they die by a random grenade you will feel  bad for your boys...they were so young and you work so hard in their inventories.
« Last Edit: 25-05-2010, 00:05:39 by Wolf »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25-05-2010, 15:05:40 »
Seeing this thread necroed, I read what the fuss was all about. Alas, is does not seem to be for me. IMHO real-time != strategy. The computer can command all of its units simultaneously in 0,001 seconds once it makes the decision, so the player who has to do things manually one by one through user interface is severely handicapped and frankly, I find such situations stressing. Real-time can work in a strategy, if you have a "freeze time" mode (like in Space Hulk or X-COM: Apocalypse - but that won't be applicable to multiplayer) or players use "turns" to give orders but the action is simultaneous (like in Combat Mission series).

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25-05-2010, 15:05:10 »
Seeing this thread necroed, I read what the fuss was all about. Alas, is does not seem to be for me. IMHO real-time != strategy. The computer can command all of its units simultaneously in 0,001 seconds once it makes the decision, so the player who has to do things manually one by one through user interface is severely handicapped and frankly, I find such situations stressing. Real-time can work in a strategy, if you have a "freeze time" mode (like in Space Hulk or X-COM: Apocalypse - but that won't be applicable to multiplayer) or players use "turns" to give orders but the action is simultaneous (like in Combat Mission series).

It's ok since the missions don't happen like a Starcraft AI game, you get ample (ok sometimes it is quite tight) time to set up an attack or a defence before the PC makes it's move.
Skirms like in Starcraft are done in MP afaik and there both people have the same starting ground. Sure some will try to rush you, but superior tactics always win. And all the things you can do are just amazing. Repair tanks, make things into IEDs or steal enemy equipment, confuse an enemy by using different tactics and what not.

I think it was 13€ well spent. Enough to win me over till RUSE (I love it!) comes out.  
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25-05-2010, 17:05:35 »
Oh fuck this crap! I bought this game from steam to be able to play online with otherpeople and it seems steam version can't be patched at all! I just mean WTF. I want my money back.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25-05-2010, 19:05:59 »
Oh fuck this crap! I bought this game from steam to be able to play online with otherpeople and it seems steam version can't be patched at all! I just mean WTF. I want my money back.

Calm down, had the same problem, but there is a solution right here: just googled it for you:
First 'install' (you just copy the unpacked files into your gaming dir) the 1.16.4 patch then the 1.17.5 following the same route.

See here: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=373030080&blogId=513887805

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25-05-2010, 20:05:51 »
I tried that, believe me. Luckily that same thing worked for my friend, so I just got required files from him with memorystick. But it still sucks. Paying customer shouldn't have to have such hard time patching their games  >:(.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25-05-2010, 21:05:48 »
I tried that, believe me. Luckily that same thing worked for my friend, so I just got required files from him with memorystick. But it still sucks. Paying customer shouldn't have to have such hard time patching their games  >:(.

It's the ol' Steam installation problem. Things you have to cope with when you save the trip to the shop. ^^

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26-05-2010, 14:05:26 »
those patches are all beta patches that why they are not released on steam. (or any other platform)
you have to install them manually and then start the game with a  different exe.

but google is your friend

played quite a lot online in the last few weeks(for the first time i played online)
i got some friends to download the free multiplayer edition that was out for VE-day ...
then they bought it and now we play a few games each day ...

Live Long & Die Happy

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26-05-2010, 15:05:11 »
As far as I know 1.17.5.1 (or what ever the newest is) is not beta, atleast thats what I found out by googling.

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26-05-2010, 16:05:53 »
you must use the 1.17.5c or international version ;D

anyway:

im am trying to get people to join a possible MoW Cup!!!

it will be 2vs2 i think, so grabb a partner now, and be ready for further announcements!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26-05-2010, 16:05:45 »
you must use the 1.17.5c or international version ;D

anyway:

im am trying to get people to join a possible MoW Cup!!!

it will be 2vs2 i think, so grabb a partner now, and be ready for further announcements!
Some sort of FH forum member cup?

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26-05-2010, 16:05:59 »
yes ;D i have posted in fht forums too and they are positive :)

i need to know if anyone is interrested?!