Author Topic: AI tweak/fix mini-mod v1.1  (Read 10059 times)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
Re: AI tweak/fix mini-mod v1.1
« Reply #60 on: 27-04-2010, 21:04:39 »
Very soon hopefully, just trying to track down the PIAT bug which is causing the CTD in Goodwood. I think I've found it (the line "ObjectTemplate.ammo.toggleWhenNoAmmo 1" appears to be the culprit), but still need to do some more testing (which basically involves starting up FH2 windowed and leaving it running in the background, and noting the number of times it crashes - this doesn't involve much work, or even being on the computer other than checking it every so often, but still takes time).
If I can't sort out the PIAT issue by the end of the week, I'll just release the next version with AI for this weapon temporarily disabled.

The next update has taken a lot longer to finish because of my attempting to find/fix the Goodwood and Luttich CTD causes - but for the same reason, there are a lot more additions + tweaks since the last update, including the new AI armour system, bots bailing from vehicles, aircraft strafing infantry, raised artillery viewpoints, etc.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 28-04-2010, 01:04:51 »
Very soon hopefully, just trying to track down the PIAT bug which is causing the CTD in Goodwood. I think I've found it (the line "ObjectTemplate.ammo.toggleWhenNoAmmo 1" appears to be the culprit), but still need to do some more testing (which basically involves starting up FH2 windowed and leaving it running in the background, and noting the number of times it crashes - this doesn't involve much work, or even being on the computer other than checking it every so often, but still takes time).
If I can't sort out the PIAT issue by the end of the week, I'll just release the next version with AI for this weapon temporarily disabled.

The next update has taken a lot longer to finish because of my attempting to find/fix the Goodwood and Luttich CTD causes - but for the same reason, there are a lot more additions + tweaks since the last update, including the new AI armour system, bots bailing from vehicles, aircraft strafing infantry, raised artillery viewpoints, etc.

woot! woot! Can't wait! Thanks, man. You're really doing some of us a real favor

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28-04-2010, 09:04:45 »
I admire your persistence Drawde! Keep it up and Thanks!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28-04-2010, 09:04:15 »
Don't forget the backlog of problems he's managed to single-handedly solve, from ones as major as Goodwood and the Stuka flying which had been there since their first day of existence... And a crap load more - Is this guy great or what?!

Yer, I know its cheap flattery from someone who wants something from you, but its all true too

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 29-04-2010, 21:04:05 »
A quick update: the PIAT fix definitely works. I ran Goodwood 64 7 times, and got 3 CTDs, the other 4 games ran through to the end successfully. Without the PIAT fix, the map CTDs 100% of the time, usually within the first 10 minutes. The ony drawback to the fix is that you can still select the PIAT when it's out of ammo, and the weapon's model shows a round loaded. (Why the toggleWhenNoAmmo line causes an AI-related CTD in the first place, I've no idea)
Luttich is also more stable with the Compo B fix, though it still CTDs about 50% of the time. (Maybe I'll find the reason for these CTDs eventually...)

I just need to do a bit more testing to make sure everything's still working as it should, then I'll release the next version, most likely this Sunday.

BTW, though I have to admit I've learnt a lot about BF2 modding since I started work on the minimod (I wish I knew the things I do now when I was working on my BF1942 AI mod years ago) the progress I've made has more to do with how neglected FH2's AI is than anything else! Though to be honest I'm grateful to the FH2 developers that at least some effort has been made to add AI support to maps. IIRC, most of the earlier versions of FH1 had no bot support on most of the new maps.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 29-04-2010, 23:04:54 »
Gr8 news about the Luttich and Goodwood patch... Ok, Luttich was your fault, man <kidding>, but really, these are serious issues you are single-handedly solving. I don't know how you do it, but you really inspire me with what you've achieved... FH2 ai was just about dead when you came on the scene, and now we are getting some really solid ai work going.... I can't thank you enough!

btw, Drawde. You don't happen to be the guy who added server-side bot support to most of FH1 maps and are running it.. or were, on a coop server, are you? I recall inviting this guy from a server to 'check out FH2' to try out his skill on FH2... just checking...

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 30-04-2010, 09:04:57 »
A round of applause to you Drawde! I admire people like you! I have tried mapping, modeling and coding in the past but never had the determination to finalise any project that I started! Good for you bud and a big thanks!

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 30-04-2010, 18:04:28 »
btw, Drawde. You don't happen to be the guy who added server-side bot support to most of FH1 maps and are running it.. or were, on a coop server, are you? I recall inviting this guy from a server to 'check out FH2' to try out his skill on FH2... just checking...

Definitely not - I have absolutely no knowledge or skills with mapping + navmeshing whatsoever. I wish I did, as a lot of FH2's maps could do with AI support (or improving the navmeshes for ones that do have AI support) but as far as I know, it's a highly technical process involving 3D Studio (which I've also never used)...

The only BF1942 mod I ever released was a rather amateurish realism/AI tweak mod years ago; I later made a much more polished one which basically integrated the expansion pack content into the original maps, as well as realism + AI tweaks and new sounds. But I never released it, as it was basically obsolete with things like FH1 and XWW2 available.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 30-04-2010, 19:04:12 »

Definitely not - I have absolutely no knowledge or skills with mapping + navmeshing whatsoever. I wish I did, as a lot of FH2's maps could do with AI support (or improving the navmeshes for ones that do have AI support) but as far as I know, it's a highly technical process involving 3D Studio (which I've also never used)...

The only BF1942 mod I ever released was a rather amateurish realism/AI tweak mod years ago; I later made a much more polished one which basically integrated the expansion pack content into the original maps, as well as realism + AI tweaks and new sounds. But I never released it, as it was basically obsolete with things like FH1 and XWW2 available.

Well, you're in luck... cuz I want *stretches arms out*..seriously...

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 30-04-2010, 20:04:41 »
Hey, so about that navmeshing.... I was really tired of playing on the same African maps and few normady ones, so I read up on all I could about navmeshing and its really not as hard as it seems, I've already navmeshed Operation Cobra and done a re-navmeshing for Operation Totalize to include vehicles and better use of infantry. I'm working on a couple others but was waiting on Drawde to release the next Ai updated before I posted anything. Operation Cobra has a CTD that I'm assuming is related to the crash on Luttich, and I want to make sure no new problems get introduced....  I wasn't sure I wanted to tell you guys about it until I had a couple stable maps to share, but one of the current maps I'm working on has already taken a day and a half to navmesh and it's just now reaching the half way point, so it's unlikely I'll have it done by the end of this weekend like I was hoping. But figured I'd let you know that someone is tackling navmeshing... (Outside of Winterhilf ofcourse) :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01-05-2010, 03:05:36 »
wOOHOO! our ragtag little bunch of unofficial BTs and devs are taking form! Gr8 going Remick04. Really would love to see those particular maps, Totalize and Cobra. I think I should read on navmeshing myself when I get the time. We can be a real DIY team, get as much AI out as the devs can make maps!

I am really happy this weekend. Hey, if you want us to try-test anything, feel free to upload em and send us a link. We'd love to see how it plays out and be very much ready to give constructive feedback to help you get it finished.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 01-05-2010, 05:05:31 »
Hey, so about that navmeshing....its really not as hard as it seems, I've already navmeshed Operation Cobra and done a re-navmeshing for Operation Totalize...
No, creating a navmesh isn't hard, but editing it...well, I won't say it's hard, but one needs a lot of patience and a full version of Maya, neither of which I possess... :(

Looking forward to that full version of Totalize... :)

Here ya go djinn: http://bf2.e-plaza.de/page4.htm

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01-05-2010, 17:05:53 »
No, creating a navmesh isn't hard, but editing it...well, I won't say it's hard, but one needs a lot of patience and a full version of Maya, neither of which I possess... :(

Looking forward to that full version of Totalize... :)

Here ya go djinn: http://bf2.e-plaza.de/page4.htm

You're right creating a navmesh is the simple part, albeit time consuming, (the shortest one so far was 12 hours) Editing it is the daunting part which always kept me from trying, but I figured I'd give it a go anyways. And like I said I haven't found it to be that hard. I got a cheap old version of 3D max, never used it before this, but through lots of trial and error I feel like I've gotten petty proficient with it.

Operation Totalize was a pain, the statics on the map seem perfectly placed to prevent bots from using vehicles. I can see why Winterhilf only created an infantry mesh. But, with a lot of hand editing and AI strategies I think I’ve gotten it to a place where the bot tanks can move through the map well. They still get stuck or bunch up, but it plays a lot better.

I’ll certainly release a map or 2 to coincide with Drawde’s AI update. Which ones will depend on what I have done, and what effects the AI tweaks have on the gameplay.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 01-05-2010, 18:05:38 »
Goodjob Remick! FH2 mod needs people like you, Drawde and Winterhilf! Thank you!

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 02-05-2010, 15:05:25 »
Hey, so about that navmeshing.... I was really tired of playing on the same African maps and few normady ones, so I read up on all I could about navmeshing and its really not as hard as it seems, I've already navmeshed Operation Cobra and done a re-navmeshing for Operation Totalize to include vehicles and better use of infantry.

Great work!  8) More progress on AI map support is very welcome now the FH2 dev team seem to have stopped work on this area.

Does Operation Cobra have US forces on the Allied side? The Luttich CTDs were mainly caused by the Compo B explosive charge, which I've now fixed. There are still random occasional CTDs on Luttich, Goodwood and some of the North Africa maps, though; plus a regular CTD on Alam Halfa which I haven't really looked into yet as this map doesn't have a fully working navmesh (German tanks usually get stuck at the British defensive line)

One question, is it possible to edit existing map navmeshes, or do new ones have to be created from scratch? There are quite a few existing maps which have pathfinding issues and/or "gaps" where bots don't go (e.g. the PZ3 at the German forward base on El Alamein, and the Lewis MGs on the Siege of Tobruk defensive lines). Most of the pathfinding bugs are mentioned in Djinn's map issues thread.
« Last Edit: 02-05-2010, 15:05:04 by Drawde »