Author Topic: Farewell  (Read 5012 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell
« Reply #30 on: 06-08-2012, 13:08:24 »
I am sorry but I have to agree with alot of points of Bonker. With 2.45 FH2 changed into a direction where it got more arcade like.

Do you know what arcade mean ?....

Less lethal weapons is a good point to start with, don't you think? The tank combat is more like BF2 - just head to head and blast everything you have into the enemy, atleat that's my experience so far also with good results. Arcade is more the quick fun, but in FH2 many people expect a certain depth of gameplay. Many people expect the tanks to work on a special way, what they don't do now. I heard many people raging because they had to give the Sherman about two shots or more to the side with their Tiger. This doesn't feel interesting, it feels frustrating for the player. You can explain it by many words, but "arcade" was the first thing that came into my mind to exlpain the problem. I don't want FH2 to be a hardcore sim, but some aspects could be reflected better ingame and in some of them 2.4 was better.

And just to clarify my post: I didn't had in mind to dismiss the mod but it were just my honest thoughts about the state of the mod and why the playercount is so low atm. Otherwise I woulnd't play the game anymore. The big bonus for FH2 is the fact, that there isn't any comparable WWII shooter out there with the same amount of content and the level of detail and quality. And this is something the devs could be proud of. FH2 is still my favorite game, though it lost some of it's charm compared to 2.4. So please keep up the good work ;)
« Last Edit: 06-08-2012, 13:08:27 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-08-2012, 13:08:00 »
I see a few things which keep repeating themselves:

- after every release there are people complaining about changes they don't like
- some people here keep turning every thread (even if it is only slightly related to the topic) into a thread about their problems with the latest changes

I don't get it that:
a) they don't play the game to learn how to deal with the changes instead of posting endless walls of text of how they think it should be done
b) they don't realise that they are making bad propaganda about FH2, as casual players might drop in here and read all this and then think "Hey, maybe I shouldn't DL this mod, you know"

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-08-2012, 13:08:51 »
I think I play the game quiet alot to judge certain things for myself. If you don't want to hear honest thoughts by the players, why don't you make two like buttons under the news page or close this thread because of all these negative vibes? I can follow the ideas of the guy who started this topic, because I have similar feelings about the game. I will stop posting in this forum, when "bad propaganda" isn't welcome anymore. That's it ...  ::)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-08-2012, 14:08:19 »
Yeah go ahead and complain, that's what the forum is for (among other things). Just don't expect the devs to read it  ;D

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-08-2012, 14:08:38 »
I think I play the game quiet alot to judge certain things for myself. If you don't want to hear honest thoughts by the players, why don't you make two like buttons under the news page or close this thread because of all these negative vibes? I can follow the ideas of the guy who started this topic, because I have similar feelings about the game. I will stop posting in this forum, when "bad propaganda" isn't welcome anymore. That's it ...  ::)
Oh, you dramaqueen...

It's not that feedback cannot be given, or that people can't have their opinion about things. It is just that certain people keep repeating the same complaints over and over again (and also on some not so appropriate places, if you ask me), like kids who think their parents will listen when they keep whining about stuff.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06-08-2012, 17:08:15 »
Bonkers or Bonker.cdn? I remember you. I love ABC zones and push modes, and most of the changes usually, but I'm on a break as well. I didn't play 2.45. I guess I miss some 'one-hit-wonder' maps like FH1, so many good memories, some with naval assets and some, like Battle of Britain, with mostly aircraft. I know: nationalities, statics and especially naval stuff: Hard to make in BF2. Small team.

Still, the WaW Naval event was a total blast. I think they had a para map or two too. Sure, we clipped with the ships, I got killed by a C47 door, but did I mind? Nope. It felt so good to ride on the BF1942/FH1 feel. I'm not saying they should be put in like this, certainly not, but that's what I miss mostly. Since then, official FH2 feels a bit... I don't know. Tame. The same. For definite lack of better words.
« Last Edit: 06-08-2012, 17:08:09 by Gezoes »

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06-08-2012, 17:08:17 »
huh... so arcade means taking out crosshair? we are doomed

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06-08-2012, 21:08:20 »
Bonkers or Bonker.cdn? I remember you. I love ABC zones and push modes, and most of the changes usually, but I'm on a break as well. I didn't play 2.45. I guess I miss some 'one-hit-wonder' maps like FH1, so many good memories, some with naval assets and some, like Battle of Britain, with mostly aircraft. I know: nationalities, statics and especially naval stuff: Hard to make in BF2. Small team.

Still, the WaW Naval event was a total blast. I think they had a para map or two too. Sure, we clipped with the ships, I got killed by a C47 door, but did I mind? Nope. It felt so good to ride on the BF1942/FH1 feel. I'm not saying they should be put in like this, certainly not, but that's what I miss mostly. Since then, official FH2 feels a bit... I don't know. Tame. The same. For definite lack of better words.
I know exactlty what you mean. There is far less variation in FH2 vs FH1. In time there might be a plane map or so but I doubt there will ever be a Midway.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06-08-2012, 23:08:34 »
I see a few things which keep repeating themselves:

- after every release there are people complaining about changes they don't like
- some people here keep turning every thread (even if it is only slightly related to the topic) into a thread about their problems with the latest changes

I don't get it that:
a) they don't play the game to learn how to deal with the changes instead of posting endless walls of text of how they think it should be done
b) they don't realise that they are making bad propaganda about FH2, as casual players might drop in here and read all this and then think "Hey, maybe I shouldn't DL this mod, you know"

Excellent, excellent post Slayer. It's refreshing that someone actually noted this. I think I'll just keep this quote on file and post it whenever a thread starts moving towards anti-2.45.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08-08-2012, 12:08:45 »
We felt that in previous releases the actual tank combat was over too quickly, because nearly all hits were either kills or simply bounced off. The result was that not only tactical retreats and repairing were practically not present, but the excitement players get from the combat was reduced to the two seconds between seeing an enemy tank and killing it. Additionally, range was pretty much not a factor in 2.4. Now it is something you have to keep in mind, as you will do a lot more damage at a short distance than far off. This is another tactical element added to the mix, all to make combat more interesting.

Totally agree!
This is the only game I play. Mostly I even prefer FH2 to a good movie.
As about complaining of other people (not the thread owner): Please complain only when you find something that happens every time and not occasionally.

Offline Jupp-FH1/2

• If you are unsure how to proceed, shoot again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09-08-2012, 06:08:11 »
Kit limitations, iron sights, hit box manipulations, crosshair eliminations, ABC lines, push maps and most recently - the removal of anti-tank kits and fixed guns on some older maps (I noted Cobra changes last night) plus shrinking of AT mine kits.

Ok there buddy, old time player.....

I've been playing FH1 and FH2 hardcore since 2006. ABC lines, push maps and hardly any way of dealing with armor as infantry is classic Forgotten hope gameplay. I, someone who is actually old-time player, can attest that the gameplay in it's essence is very close to original FH1. Hell, I still play FH1 so I know what I'm talking about.

Even if you always had some form of cross-hair in FH1, did you really spend that much time without zooming in? I got most of my kills with rifle zoomed in.

FH2 might actually be a bit more balanced and "easy" for first time players. So, I don't buy this gameplay has changed so much.

Just pisses me off that someone would bring so much hate and ragequit. It's a game, have fun ffs!

These guys and their mod is top-notch, recognize the greatness or GTFO. If you do GTFO, please do so quietly.
Los Los Los

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09-08-2012, 14:08:01 »
I've been playing FH since the early, early days and have had hours and hours of fun with this mod but I now find that it has outgrown me.
[...]In my 50's I'm probably one of the oldest players on the mod.[...]

I rather think that you outgrown the game. There is no game out there that can keep up with the evolution of a human. Don't take it hard, say thank you and bye.

You can't quite leave? Then play some more rounds.

Your lines make me think of a quote from a friend: "You'll never find that kind of game that you want to play. You could as well play BFBC on the console." The first part is true, the second is not. I'm happy that FH2 fullfills 80% of what I would expect. Other games do less.

Anyway, nothing lasts forever.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #42 on: 09-08-2012, 19:08:34 »
Fh2 is getting better and better! We got some top notch devs! Keep 'em coming!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20-08-2012, 14:08:26 »
 While i was fucking pissed at getting banned by 762, i do still play Fh2.
(just not as much as i would like to being artificiallyimited in my server choices.)

On the topic of Bonks.Cdn,
man I am going to miss your ass. Nobody in the history of Fh2 has ever been better with anti tank mines. (we are so going to go for beers sometime, hell i might even be buying even though you are the big shot lawyer :p)

to all you bullshit noobs that don't recognize hard core devotee's to this mod, "maybe keep your mouths shut unless you have something productive to add".

your harsh words are not welcomed by the veteran community and leave a very bad taste in the mouth of the new players who are lead to join this forum.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20-08-2012, 14:08:49 »

to all you bullshit noobs that don't recognize hard core devotee's to this mod, "maybe keep your mouths shut unless you have something productive to add".

your harsh words are not welcomed by the veteran community and leave a very bad taste in the mouth of the new players who are lead to join this forum.

THIS.
For us who have been here since (almost) the begining of Forgotten Hope, there is an evolutionary curve in the design which make it more agreeable, or less, and that might stress and eventually break our ability to see what drew us to it in the same place.

I'm sorry you are leaving. It's a big tragedy to lose a devoted veteran.
You make up the stiff backbone that keeps this mod alive, especially during the harder times.
« Last Edit: 20-08-2012, 15:08:26 by djinn »