Author Topic: FH2 Standalone Installer  (Read 52823 times)

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Complete FH2 Installer
« Reply #15 on: 21-02-2018, 18:02:28 »
It's not like the CMP maps are infectious  ::)
Just delete them, or don't join a server with them, or both.

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21-02-2018, 18:02:39 »
Great work RADIOSMERSH.

I applaud you for the initiative. Well done!   ;)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-02-2018, 19:02:43 »
Great job RADIO!

This is something that we've been waiting for.  It will certainly make things easier for the next tournament.

I recently experimented with putting FH2 inside of Project Reality.  I was able to play on the multiplayer server no problem.  I also used a chopped down version of mods/bf2 and had to add a few files to the main Project Reality folder.  I couldn't get local server to run, but I know anything.  I bet we could easily make an installer to install it into PR and give those players the option to play this great mod.  Probably an unofficial installer like this is the best way to go.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21-02-2018, 22:02:53 »
Or, just have the tick box in the installler  :P

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-02-2018, 08:02:06 »
Whatever helps to get through the day  8)

Offline Hawk2k9

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-02-2018, 08:02:49 »
its not like its included in the .iso you have to download, anyway. You might aswell install them.

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22-02-2018, 22:02:53 »
Doesn't matter as long as installer doesn't ask you if you want it and install it all together with FH2 stock content. And don't get me wrong, it's a great initiative and I love this makes FH2 "standalone". All I ask is an option to tick a box if you want installer add community made content to the mod.
Gotta agree with Jan.  Great effort, just needs tweaks like that.  FH2's CMP stuff is not an official part of the mod and should remain optional.
Alright, I'll make it optional in next iterations in the installer, though I guess that, in the light of an upcoming patch, that won't be needed for some time, since it'll take some time for CMP guys to update the mappack for it.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-02-2018, 23:02:42 »
Nice, brilliant, excellent!

I wish there was a +rep button

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24-02-2018, 02:02:57 »
Doesn't matter as long as installer doesn't ask you if you want it and install it all together with FH2 stock content. And don't get me wrong, it's a great initiative and I love this makes FH2 "standalone". All I ask is an option to tick a box if you want installer add community made content to the mod.
Gotta agree with Jan.  Great effort, just needs tweaks like that.  FH2's CMP stuff is not an official part of the mod and should remain optional.
Alright, I'll make it optional in next iterations in the installer, though I guess that, in the light of an upcoming patch, that won't be needed for some time, since it'll take some time for CMP guys to update the mappack for it.

Yeah, i can see where Jan is coming from now, but its an easy solution.

Create a little check box for CMP maps & release a test version for public testing.
Then when the new patch is released & CMP updates, voila u have the working blueprint!!!

Are you planning on adding background loading music and graphics while its installing?

Thanks again RADIOSMERSH from all of the FH2 standalone fans.

8)

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24-02-2018, 14:02:03 »
Nice.
Some questions

.I guess not every pc has 11gb free space on c/ drive. Is it possible to choose other drive for install ?

.Will the install mess up other bf2 installs ?

.Does installer work on all windows platforms like Xp, win7 ..win 10 ?

Good job :-)

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24-02-2018, 18:02:25 »
.I guess not every pc has 11gb free space on c/ drive. Is it possible to choose other drive for install ?
Yeah, sure.
.Will the install mess up other bf2 installs ?
Well, Key Manager that pops up after files extraction can change CD-key in registry, but only if being told to. Other than that you're safe, unless you point the installer to the folder with existing BF2 installlation  ;D.
.Does installer work on all windows platforms like Xp, win7 ..win 10 ?
Yes, all Windows versions above XP SP3 are supported. Haven't tried installing it on Linux though, but I'ms ure it'll run there too.

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27-02-2018, 14:02:25 »
Love the initiative, great job! This will surely help to get new players on board quickly :).

Does this come with the FH2 launcher as well? I can't remember if that was part of the FH2 installer, since it's been installed for so long now :D.

I don't mind CMP maps being part of the installer. If anything, new players have them by default, so whatever server they join, it'll just work, which I think is the greatest benefit here.

Anyway, something you could potentially consider is to also include the CMP Updater (or whatever it's called), with which you can update the CMP maps and some custom content. That's obviously beyond the scope of your original idea, but something to perhaps think about.

Thanks again for the initiative, I will surely use this to convince people to start playing FH2 ;).

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27-02-2018, 19:02:55 »
Does this come with the FH2 launcher as well? I can't remember if that was part of the FH2 installer, since it's been installed for so long now :D.
Yes, it is an essential part of FH2 nowadays.

Anyway, something you could potentially consider is to also include the CMP Updater (or whatever it's called), with which you can update the CMP maps and some custom content. That's obviously beyond the scope of your original idea, but something to perhaps think about.
Actually, CMP updater is already included, I forgot to mention that in the description. The desktop icon for it is created if the appropriate checkbox in the installer is selected.

Offline radiosmersh

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial FH2 Standalone (almost) Installer
« Reply #28 on: 27-02-2018, 20:02:54 »
Are you planning on adding background loading music and graphics while its installing?
That's definitely in my to-do list, but right now I'm experimenting with compression algorithms that have good compression ratio but aren't too resource-demanding at the same time. Currently, installer isn't compressed at all, because the space saved due to built-in Inno setup compression (LZMA2) (maximum I was able to achieve is 400 Mb ) is not worth the stress put on CPU during extraction.

Create a little check box for CMP maps & release a test version for public testing.
Then when the new patch is released & CMP updates, voila u have the working blueprint!!!
I might release an intermediate version just to test new features I mentioned above, but only if I finish it before the release of the patch.
« Last Edit: 27-02-2018, 20:02:46 by RADIOSMERSH »

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial FH2 Standalone (almost) Installer
« Reply #29 on: 01-03-2018, 00:03:18 »
So if it includes the FH2 launcher, does this mean I can basically one and done install this and be ready to play? Assuming next update doesn't do something funny, I won't have to reinstall this for it to continue working still?